Author Topic: Twin Coil Switch Machines  (Read 1677 times)

inkaneer

Twin Coil Switch Machines
« on: July 30, 2011, 10:37:38 AM »
Thread over on the A forum about a new Atlas switch controller got me thinking about twin coil swith machines.   They have been around for a long time and are probably the defacto standard for the hobby.  But almost everone has burned out at least one by laying on the button too long.  There are other better alternatives available so should we bid our last farewells and commit the twin coil machines to their eternal rest?  If so what standard do we go to?  I really like pneumatic motors and was fortunate in stocking up on Del-Aire parts before their demise.  When I bought my supply I was informed that there was a significant inventory of these motors that were sold.   This was the N Scale motors.  Yet I have never come across them anywhere.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Twin Coil Switch Machines
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 11:15:14 AM »
Interesting product.  Too bad they remain wed to the old screw terminal connections.  When you consider that some of us are using our I-phones to control just about everything on our layouts, these look like something right out of Frankenstein's laboratory.

The things I like about it:  The CTC board appearance of the actuator, the push button, and the LED's
The things I'm not sure about:  How sturdy is the actuator?  Is there provision to ad remote LED's that reflect the ones on the panel?
The things I don't like:  The visible screw terminals and the overall mass of the machine.
The things I'd like to see:  A more compact surface mount machine with the guts behind the surface, a version that would function with a stall motor.  (I mean, why not make a product that is more universally applicable, especially when the old twin coils probably aren't being used as much by people installing a multitude of switches.)

Lee
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 11:21:50 AM by wm3798 »
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

inkaneer

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 12:29:15 PM »
But what about the twin coil switch machines themselves?   Is it time they go the way of Code 80 track and pizza cutters?

esa123

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 01:58:32 PM »
I vote for on the way out! With servos and everything else we control via DCC yesterday's technology is just that - yesterday's technology. However I'm sure you'll find these in poorly stocked hobby stores and chain craft stores for years to come.

EK

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 04:05:33 PM »
But what about the twin coil switch machines themselves?   Is it time they go the way of Code 80 track and pizza cutters?

Given that there are plenty of modelers who will never give up Code 80 and pizza cutters, twin coils will live on forever, for better or for worse.

I doubt there is one switch machine type that will ever be adopted as the de facto standard; there will be champions for everything from twin coils to pneumatics, slow-mos to servos. And they all have their pros and cons.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 05:05:35 PM »
I've found that there are some applications where twin coils work fine, such as on the Pecos I have leading into my staging yards.  and others where stall motors are best (main lines).  I can see the need for even the old coffin turnouts in situations where you can't access the underside of the layout, but a little planning there usually allows you to do something better.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net