Author Topic: Curious about the Walthers 120’ turntable  (Read 17703 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

FlyGuyB

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26
  • Respect: +3
Re: Curious about the Walthers 120’ turntable
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2011, 09:10:44 PM »
0
Anyone have experience with all three, and can give an opinion regarding the pluses and minuses of each?

Bremner

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 450
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1
Re: Curious about the Walthers 120’ turntable
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2011, 09:45:22 PM »
0
The Cornerstone ones look like ones used in the States...the other 2 look like European prototypes...

SleeperN06

  • Guest
Re: Curious about the Walthers 120’ turntable
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2011, 07:41:07 PM »
0
Ah, I forgot the Cornerstone roundhouse is completely different from the old Heljan.
Although I think it would look really cool to have a loco outside the doors, I’m glad they don’t otherwise the whole facility would take way to much space for my layout. That is why I'm thinking off have track off the turntable without the roundhouse

Bremner

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 450
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1
Re: Curious about the Walthers 120’ turntable
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2011, 08:02:26 PM »
0
if space is a concern, look at the Peco

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/pco/pco1755.htm

It is an 80' turntable thatcan be motorized, simple in construction.

SleeperN06

  • Guest
Re: Curious about the Walthers 120’ turntable
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2011, 09:15:37 PM »
0
if space is a concern, look at the Peco

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/pco/pco1755.htm

It is an 80' turntable thatcan be motorized, simple in construction.
Thanks, but I already preordered the Walthers 130’ DCC turntable. I chose the 130’ because I have a Athearn 4-6-6-4 Challenger Tsunami steamer and a few others like the 4-8-4 Class J and Bachmann 4-8-4 Northern. I also already have the Walthers 933-3260 Modern Roundhouse Kit and the 933-3261 add on stall Kit.

I’m counting down the days for the Walthers 933-2616 Turntable which should be available next Tuesday.

Zox

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1120
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2
    • Lord Zox's Home Page
Re: Curious about the Walthers 120’ turntable
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2011, 09:27:09 PM »
0
I’m counting down the days for the Walthers 933-2616 Turntable which should be available next Tuesday.

Are you sure about that date? According to http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-2616 :

"Expected: 26-Oct-2011...Unfortunately our test samples haven't met our expectations for performance or programming...Our DCC Turntables will only be released once we're completely satisfied they perform at the same level of excellence as the original analog versions."
Rob M., a.k.a. Zox
z o x @ v e r i z o n . n e t
http://lordzox.com/
It is said a Shaolin chef can wok through walls...

SleeperN06

  • Guest
Re: Curious about the Walthers 120’ turntable
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2011, 10:48:11 PM »
0
Are you sure about that date? According to http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-2616 :

"Expected: 26-Oct-2011...Unfortunately our test samples haven't met our expectations for performance or programming...Our DCC Turntables will only be released once we're completely satisfied they perform at the same level of excellence as the original analog versions."
WHAT! Are you kidding me?

This is the second time it’s been changed. It must have just changed because I looked at that last weekend just to be sure. My suppler still has it listed for 7/25/2011

Aw man what a disappointment, if didn’t already have the round houses, I just give the whole thing up. Well my credit card still hasn’t been charged so I guess I can still cancel.

Bremner

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 450
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1
Re: Curious about the Walthers 120’ turntable
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2011, 05:14:23 PM »
0

SleeperN06

  • Guest
Re: Curious about the Walthers 120’ turntable
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2011, 05:49:36 PM »
0
http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=34.019235&lon=-118.225942&z=17.2&r=0&src=msl

another turntable, in LA, Redondo Junction
Wow, that’s interesting. I wonder what that is because I what I believe is a steamer and most of the locos appear to be blue. The other thing that I see different is that it looks as if the main entrance is through that building, but there is also maybe a bypass around it through wash or something.

The one thing I like about Google maps is that you can ask what’s here and get some more info. I don’t know how to do that with flash earth.

I don’t know when the next time I’ll be in this area, but I’m going to make a note to check it out.

Bremner

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 450
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1
Re: Curious about the Walthers 120’ turntable
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2011, 11:19:11 PM »
0
Wow, that’s interesting. I wonder what that is because I what I believe is a steamer and most of the locos appear to be blue. The other thing that I see different is that it looks as if the main entrance is through that building, but there is also maybe a bypass around it through wash or something.

The one thing I like about Google maps is that you can ask what’s here and get some more info. I don’t know how to do that with flash earth.

I don’t know when the next time I’ll be in this area, but I’m going to make a note to check it out.
that's AT&SF 3751

Hyperion

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 992
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +19
Re: Curious about the Walthers 120’ turntable
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2011, 11:23:24 PM »
0
Wow, that’s interesting. I wonder what that is because I what I believe is a steamer and most of the locos appear to be blue. The other thing that I see different is that it looks as if the main entrance is through that building, but there is also maybe a bypass around it through wash or something.

That's an Amtrak facility at Redondo, and the steamer is ATSF 3751
-Mark

SleeperN06

  • Guest
Re: Curious about the Walthers 120’ turntable
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2011, 09:09:28 AM »
0
Thanks, guys. For some reason I didn’t get a notification of the new posts and this morning I looked for it on Google maps to get a better view of it. I was just about to post what I found, but you guys beat me to it, thanks.

I couldn’t read the numbers on that Santa Fe and I’m glad to hear what it is, thanks.

I totally forgot about Amtrak’s blue color and it was bugging me.

Also, there was something else that I couldn’t understand and that was the items to the west of the turntable. I thought it was small torn up sections of track, but now I see that its wheels.

I’ve been in this area many times picking up parts for my job and never knew that it existed, but after trying to use the street view in Google Maps, I see why. It seems as though all the streets are lower than the tracks.

So is that steamer in a museum and is it open to the public or just someone’s private collection? 

Bremner

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 450
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1
Re: Curious about the Walthers 120’ turntable
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2011, 01:16:40 PM »
0
3751 was the first Santa Fe Northern built, and is owned by the San Bernadino Rail Historical Society, and is not on display. There are 2 landlocked rail museums in Los Angeles County, and the one closest to San Bernadino is the Orange Empire Railway Museum in Perris. The OERM is more of a traction museum with a little steam and some diesels mixed in. I am surprised that the 3751 is not in Perris since there is a BNSF branch there...BUT the SBRHS pissed off the BNSF in the past and the BNSF has not forgot. The BNSF was so mad at the SBRHS, that the BNSF used the SP 4449 for a steam special.