Author Topic: Walthers announce "New" structures  (Read 8113 times)

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Walthers announce "New" structures
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2011, 07:14:00 AM »
Everything Old is New Again!
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

mplsjct

• Crew
  • Respect: +391
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2011, 07:35:34 AM »
The timeless tradition of bashing Walthers, well deserved this time!
How about trickling some of those HO structures down to N scale? It's pretty safe to say just about every N layout I've seen uses them, with the unavailability of Medusa Cement and others, they must sell reasonably well. I can't imagine the junk they just announced is going to jump off the shelves.
I’m not here to argue

asarge

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2011, 08:45:55 AM »
I think that most of us are just fed up with Walthers. I am from Milwaukee originally and have always felt a bit defensive when people complain about Walthers and Kalmbach. Heck, I may be one of the few people who still think that Bud Selig is a good guy (even if he has been bad for baseball). Many of us have contacted Walthers repeatedly over the years. I have personally spoken with Stacy Walthers-something for 30+ minutes at the last two Trainfests. Where has this gotten us in N scale?  I would say almost worse than nothing.  A rerun on kits so old that I can't remember seeing them before ? That would be great if they were of high quality, but they aren't.  Meanwhile in HO they have cool product after cool product. These guys know how to do it! Anyhow, that is their business model. They are free to do as the please but we are free to complain when they offer products such as these in N. Contact them directly if it makes you feel better but don't expect them to do anything other than pretend
to listen.

Boy do I know how you feel!!! It's one thing to bad mouth and complain in the forums, which I'm not sure they even peruse, especially Stacey. My point is we need to start complaining not so much or just on the public forums, but also hit them on their social media pages and in emails directly too them. If they get po'd, too bad, what's the worst that can happen? Personally, I'm ok with these offerings. Not ecstsatic, but they should be simple to put together which I hope means they will be reasonably prices and that's good for newbies, which means I can sell more. But I would really like to see several HO buildings make it to N scale.

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2011, 09:11:59 AM »
Boy do I know how you feel!!! It's one thing to bad mouth and complain in the forums, which I'm not sure they even peruse, especially Stacey. My point is we need to start complaining not so much or just on the public forums, but also hit them on their social media pages and in emails directly too them. If they get po'd, too bad, what's the worst that can happen? Personally, I'm ok with these offerings. Not ecstsatic, but they should be simple to put together which I hope means they will be reasonably prices and that's good for newbies, which means I can sell more. But I would really like to see several HO buildings make it to N scale.

Very good point.

The same can be said for Woodland Scenics.  They keep releasing new DPM structures for HO. Love to see the County Courthouse available in N scale.

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2011, 09:20:57 AM »
To make it easier on all of us, why don't we just let Stacy know she's missing the boat in terms of marketing information by not, at the very least, listening in on the forums or, even better, proactively using them as a source of input.

I know RW doesn't exactly represent a perfect cross-section of the market, but it's pretty obvious it's a cross-section Walthers isn't paying attention to, and it's a market segment that is much more in tune with product since we nitpick it so much and can offer fine tuning input beyond just what model to choose. Then again, maybe Walthers a) doesn't care or b) isn't smart enough to care what we think.

I will say this - if they can't handle the dinosaur of social mediums - the forum - maybe they shouldn't be trying to use the bright, shiny new one - like Facebook. Then again, FB is easier to control and considering Walthers seems to prefer talking AT the N scale market rather than listening, it's probably why they like it better.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8552
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2011, 09:56:08 AM »
Rather than just bad-mouthing them on the forums, you need to call and send emails or post on their FB page.

I've done the Facebook feedback thing several times...  Crickets.

asarge

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2011, 10:00:34 AM »
I have usually gotten a response when I posted on FB. More so when I sent a message rather than posating on the wall.

I know one manufacturer that has attempted to reach out and help them with N scale but has been shunned so far. I'm pretty sure the issue is they are so HOcentric N scale is not something they conciously consider most of the time.

Based on what I've seen moving in our shop, I have too wonder if they might do better in sales with produciing something in N vs what they've done in HO, especially in regards to structures. I just can't see the latest series they announced this month selling more than say doing Imperial Foods or the REA building in N. As far as stuff on the tracks goes, the aggregate car has done pretty well for us in N scale. I have had to back to the well for NS, Southern and SP more than once, BUT, I beleive we could do alot better if Glacier Gravel was available or they did a simple conveyor loader or something that gives the car and the Difco Dump car a reason for moving on the layout or at the very least a neat industry.

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Las Piedras Railroad - Destination Desert
  • Respect: +2427
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2011, 10:32:16 AM »
I dunno...Actually I think they make a great product and a decent price. They were
the only manufacturer in both scales HO and N to produce a cohesive production
of structures (Cornerstone) and accessories. It was easy for LHS's to order and
stock. True they don't expand the N line to match HO fast enough and in their
monthly flyer/catalog there is nothing compared to HO.
Chuck Geiger
provencountrypd@gmail.com

sirenwerks

• Crew
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2011, 10:49:39 AM »
If somebody would release a well-thought out modular system, the world would be a considerably better place. One with numerous windows types and placements (one/two/three windows per panel, various styles of double hung and industrial windows with pane # variations, flat/round top with stone head or decorative masonry, etc.) and several panel widths (between vertical pilasters). Same for doors and loading doors. Just give us enough to accurately portray industries that grew over decades, or so that each industry doesn't look strangely familiar to the one next door. And make it fit together precisely. DKS, are you listening? This seems right up your perfectionist alley?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 10:51:52 AM by sirenwerks »

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2011, 03:28:17 PM »
DKS, are you listening?

I'm all ears. I just need more hands (well, that and a new knee).

sirenwerks

• Crew
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2011, 05:37:32 PM »
I'm all ears. I just need more hands (well, that and a new knee).

Like a round of applause? I'm clapping , I'm clapping...

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2011, 09:07:15 PM »
Brian,

Just like the eastern cabooses, you can find the original Life-Like kits of these structures at the shows pretty easily. Better, you can beat Walthers to the punch on the rest of its "new" N scale structure releases and find the rest of the N scale Life-Like structure line Walthers will likely be reintroducing as some form of cruel joke on us later in the next century.

I tried to speak to a Walthers rep once about N scale, but he wasn't much into conversation:

I agree on the photo, I am not a big fan of their business model...........I have sold off or packed up all of their rolling stock.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
  • Respect: +1102
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2011, 09:30:15 AM »
My guess is that they make decisions based on sales history.   N may not be big enough for them to invest the capitol in...or they are, as a company, populated by HO modelers who are looking to improve their options.  Hard to say.  I get lots of requests to expand NN3, the scale I modeled before I joined MTL.  I would like nothing better than to do that, but sales are beyond being tanked and it's hard to convince the folks who write checks to get on board with a project that has little or no hope of making Roi.  Face it, the hobby is going through a contraction due to the economy and our core demographic getting older and I see Walthers sticking where the market is biggest.  N is tooting along pretty well, but I don't think we have the numbers of HO does.  You can't use the smaller companies as a indication of how N is doing because their overhead is much smaller than the "traditional" manufacturer.  Craig and others don't have to worry about supporting hundreds of employees and that gives them the opportunity to do some of this amazing stuff they do.  I would kill to have MTL do the Tri cools or even Tropocana cars, but we would get our financial hats handed to us.  I guess what I am saying is that we go through a useless exercise trying to force a company to produce product they can't pay bills with.  If as it sounds here, attempts have been made to pressure Walthers with no success then talk with your purchasing dollars, make Craig rich so he can produce more stuff we want. 

Joe
Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor!

Brakie

• Crew
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2011, 09:53:08 AM »
Joe,While I understand what you are saying agree to a certain point I fully believe until we unite as one voice we will continue getting crumbs since most manufacturers has cut back on N Scale production or tickle our ears with "exciting plans for  N Scale" while cranking out new HO models which may not sell or worst recieve bad forum reviews from the detail gurus...Maybe that's the key we are overlooking by being too nice or by defending the manufacturer...I don't know but,I have contacted several manufacturers and recieve that age old "we have exciting plans for our  N Scale line " reply..

Maybe they don't realize we have money to spend too?
Larry

Summerset Ry.

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2011, 09:56:51 AM »
My guess is that they make decisions based on sales history.   N may not be big enough for them to invest the capitol in...or they are, as a company, populated by HO modelers who are looking to improve their options.  Hard to say.  I get lots of requests to expand NN3, the scale I modeled before I joined MTL.  I would like nothing better than to do that, but sales are beyond being tanked and it's hard to convince the folks who write checks to get on board with a project that has little or no hope of making Roi.  Face it, the hobby is going through a contraction due to the economy and our core demographic getting older and I see Walthers sticking where the market is biggest.  N is tooting along pretty well, but I don't think we have the numbers of HO does.  You can't use the smaller companies as a indication of how N is doing because their overhead is much smaller than the "traditional" manufacturer.  Craig and others don't have to worry about supporting hundreds of employees and that gives them the opportunity to do some of this amazing stuff they do.  I would kill to have MTL do the Tri cools or even Tropocana cars, but we would get our financial hats handed to us.  I guess what I am saying is that we go through a useless exercise trying to force a company to produce product they can't pay bills with.  If as it sounds here, attempts have been made to pressure Walthers with no success then talk with your purchasing dollars, make Craig rich so he can produce more stuff we want. 

Joe

Joe,

Very valid and appreciated insight!  I think one of the biggest issues with Walthers is their lack of honesty with the N scale segment.  They don't appear interested in our feed back on their products, they appear to "think they know everything", and they tell us they are committed to our scale when their product line and pricing say otherwise.  If they were just up front and honest with us I think their would be a whole different attitude towards them.  For example, look at their aborted passenger train offering.  How long did it take to get their three cars out?  They could have cornered the market but they were slow and inferior compared to all the other brands that came out afterwords and left them behind.  Price point is in the same ball park but quality is very lacking.  That is why I sold off all of my Walthers passenger cars when Rapido, Centraila, etc came out with their cars.  They looked terrible in the same consist.  Same reason I sold off all of my Con-Cor heavyweights when I started receiving my MT heavyweights!!!!!
Brian

Way of the Zephyr