Author Topic: The Mopac: J'ville Industrial branch: an HCD venture  (Read 7115 times)

MichaelT

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
Re: The Mopac: J'ville Industrial branch: an HCD venture
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2011, 08:23:06 PM »
Sorry for not checking in before now, so I realize this is now moot.  But, if I had had the opportunity to stop you, I would have told you to keep that 1" x 4" on the bottom of the door (1) to help stiffen and, hopefully, avoid any sag in the door AND (2) to provide a place to secure table legs.  Otherwise, you can only screw and secure legs to the edge of the door as the middle is, as we all know, hollow.  I used 1" x 4" laterally across the bottom of the old Virginia Central layout to create a place to secure the folding table legs.  On the Aberdeen and Rockfish HCD layout, I used 1" x 3" lengthwise to secure 2" x 2" table legs.  Either is fine, but you will need something to secure the legs to.  If, on the other hand, you are placing the door on top of cabinetry or sawhorses, well, then... nevermind.  ;)

Anyhow, as for the foam base, I would recommend applying 2" foam or, if you have already glued on 1", add another layer of 1" foam.  I made this mistake on the A&R HCD and there was not enough room under the track to get a nice height above rivers and waterways.  I used 2" foam on the Virginia Central and will absolutely repeat this in the future.

DFF

Thanks Dave,

I hadn't thought of how to attach legs yet, so that will need to be resolved. Using the damaged side up, I can attach some 1x3's laterally across the underside to use for leg attachments I guess.

I haven't put any foam on it yet. Currently the door is being used as a work bench for my train show modules until I can get some type of work bench in the train room.

Specter3

• Crew
  • Respect: +149
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2011, 03:27:27 PM »
I second the 2 inches of foam. It looks funny staring at it while it is still pink but it really opens up some possibilities for below grade scenery.

Ryan

packers#1

• Crew
  • Modern Shortline Modeler
  • Respect: +477
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2011, 09:13:06 PM »
Allow me to third the foam. I used a sheet of 3/4" lowes stuff (it's junk, go for the blue or pink extruded foam) as a base, and then cut risers for my Unitrak and roads etc out of it. I also cut my river into it. works great (except the Lowes stuff is tough to cut, which is why I said go with the blue or pink stuff)
Sawyer Berry
Clemson University graduate, c/o 2018
American manufacturing isn’t dead, it’s just gotten high tech