Author Topic: New gallery is now available  (Read 1213 times)

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
New gallery is now available
« on: September 28, 2016, 08:37:20 PM »
So this is something that I wanted here since Picasa is no more and Flickr just doesn't work for me.  It's a gallery!

Next to My Bookmarks at the top under the banner, you'll see a Gallery link.  It's pretty self explanatory from there. After you upload an image you'll see a BBC code to add it to a post. Members with >25 posts have the ability to add and delete their own images (or so I think if it's set up correctly).

Let's run with this for a month and see what happens.  PLEASE don't upload GBs of images (yet).

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: New gallery is now available
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 09:02:00 PM »
Awesome  :tommann: dude!  No more old posts with broken photo links!

It works!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 09:05:18 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 03:22:16 PM »
Cool, for now I will continue using picasa or whatever google calls it these days. 8)

CNR5529

• Crew
    • My Shapeways Store
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 11:46:15 AM »
Just for my own clarification, can the moderators please provide some guidelines for when we should be using the gallery and attachment features? Can we/should we always use the gallery when posting pictures? When is the attachment feature supposed to be used? Is it preferred that we still use an external hosting site? Just want to make sure to do the right thing! Thanks.  :)
Because why not...

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 02:57:30 PM »
I don't believe there are any rules.  This is TRW after all!  :D

:tommann: just carved out some server space for users to upload photos. I think of it as another free photo-sharing site (but which I will use exclusively for photos I use in my posts here).  The gallery probably shares the storage space with the photos uploaded to the individual messages ( :tommann: would be the one to answer that).

To me the gallery seems easier to use than photo uploads directly to the posts. The photo links from the gallery are also easier to use than message uploads when using the same photo in multiple posts (like fro example the Weekend Update and a separate build thread).  Using either method assures that the posts will never end up with broken photo links when viewed few years later. That to me is the most important thing about having photos hosted on the same site as the messages.
. . . 42 . . .

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 09:38:15 PM »
I always imagined that the attachments would be for something quick and specific for a post.  Example: someone asks to see something and you take a quick snap with your phone.

The new gallery is for items that you would like to share over and over again or keep organized in a place "for yourself".

CNR5529

• Crew
    • My Shapeways Store
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 09:33:10 AM »
Sounds good, thanks for the clarification.
Because why not...