Author Topic: T Gauge - Penzance 1913  (Read 823 times)

martink

• Respect: +35
T Gauge - Penzance 1913
« on: November 24, 2020, 09:45:39 PM »
+3
After considering several possibilities for my next linear-motor layout, I have settled on pre-1914 Penzance, the most south-westerly station in England, and a surprisingly busy terminus (especially in the summer months).  At that time the station had only 2 platforms, a small loco depot with turntable, and an approach along a single-track timber viaduct along the beach.   

The layout will be 6' x 2', built as a single board to a scale of 1:480.  It will be set up for automated exhibition running, changing locos and reversing trains, for both passenger and freight.  About two-thirds of the trackwork will be functional with a total of 8 turnouts, enough to fully support the planned operating patterns, with the remainder modelled in dummy form.  The roadway running the full length behind the station will have working road traffic, mostly horse-drawn at this period.

The main technical challenges with this design are the reversing loop (already up and running, and just as tricky with linear motors as with normal DC), the turntable, and coupling/positioning issues with reversing trains in the station.  The reversing loop is already built and tested, and the turntable is under construction at the moment.

The first picture shows the present-day arrangement of the station from Google Earth with a 6'x2' grid superimposed.  The second shows the intended track-plan, although the backdrop will need to be moved further away.  The third shows the reversing loop during testing. 

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

martink

• Respect: +35
Re: T Gauge - Penzance 1913
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 09:31:12 AM »
+3
After taking a bit of break over the new year, work has resumed on this one.  The reversing loop has been tested, as has the first attempt at a turntable.  Penzance at that time had a very short turntable, which I have modeled as 60 foot. 

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +387
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 12:11:12 PM »
Will there be any pirates?
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +425
    • Modutrak
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 04:26:47 PM »
Looking forward to seeing progress on this one, Martin.  I'm still messing around with my test track and what it takes to make detailed, working trains.