Author Topic: Need suggestions: N scale diorama for train show contest  (Read 11348 times)

MichaelT

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
Re: Need suggestions: N scale diorama for train show contest
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2011, 03:20:50 PM »
Dunno about the continuous run...
what do you gents think?

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2011, 05:39:13 PM »
I think building a loop handcuffs you unnecessarily.  I think the way to the judges' hearts will be to faithfully render a local, recognizable scene.  As long as there's enough track to shift a couple of cars back and forth, it passes the "operational" litmus test.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2011, 07:16:15 PM »
I think the way to the judges' hearts will be to faithfully render a local, recognizable scene.

Possibly. It depends entirely on the judges. You really need to know what their preferences are and cater to them. Otherwise you may spend energy on aspects of the project (such as prototype fidelity) that may go unappreciated.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 07:29:39 PM by David K. Smith »

MichaelT

• Crew
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2011, 09:07:32 PM »
I think building a loop handcuffs you unnecessarily.  I think the way to the judges' hearts will be to faithfully render a local, recognizable scene.  As long as there's enough track to shift a couple of cars back and forth, it passes the "operational" litmus test.

Lee
Possibly. It depends entirely on the judges. You really need to know what their preferences are and cater to them. Otherwise you may spend energy on aspects of the project (such as prototype fidelity) that may go unappreciated.

I know two guys are long time model railroaders, and one is a former railroad employee. The third if I'm thinking right, is an investment banker, and has a pretty large S scale layout in a building in his back yard that he had built specifically for his layout.

I'm kind of leaning towards the more prototypical style layout for the challenge, but I have already cut out a 2" piece of foam insulation to build a small loop, hoping to duplicate David's plan to run a train continuous; just because like was said earlier, it would be the only continuous running layout!

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2011, 10:05:44 PM »
Since I'm a tried-and-true roundy-rounder, I'm biased.   ;)

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

AlkemScaleModels

• Crew
  • Helps build strong models 8 ways
  • Respect: +39
    • Alkem Scale Models
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2011, 10:50:56 PM »
I'd shoot for a switching layout based on a heavy industry in N scale.  I'd try a 6 by 72 inch shelf that widens has an 6 by 30 inch triangle at one end. That would be enough space to model a decent paper mill or steel mini millif you used flats for buildings along the most of the back. The wide end could allow for some reasonable sized structures, with tracks in between them.

MichaelT

• Crew
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2011, 09:15:49 PM »
That's funny, because I just returned to post this--

It's 18 x 30 inches, with 8-inch minimum radius, except for the switchback, which is 7.5 in.
BTW, Dave, you can get around a freight car on the first layout--just loop around the whole mainline.

So David, I like this look...what size are the turnouts? 8" radius, I'm assuming bending flex track around to make the 8".?

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2011, 09:17:59 PM »
So David, I like this look...what size are the turnouts? 8" radius, I'm assuming bending flex track around to make the 8".?

Turnouts are all 5s. Flex is bent to 8" radius. You should be able to make the whole thing with only 4 pieces of flex.

MichaelT

• Crew
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2011, 01:02:08 PM »
an update: messing with the 8" curve got me really frustrated...so I think I'm going to opt for the linear switching design.

To compensate, Larry (a buddy of mine) and I are going to put together a small 5' x 8' large scale loop with two small sidings and run some of our large scale trains to show that even in the larger scale, you can run with a small space.

So the new question is this. Should I consider a wider and shorter layout? Or a thinner and longer layout?

MichaelT

• Crew
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2011, 08:32:25 PM »
Well, for some reason I couldn't get an 8" curve to work right, but I was able to get a 9" curve to work. Also after having two Atlas turnouts glued in, I needed one more and when I got to my LHS, he had some Peco 9" curver turnouts, so I got one to see how it would work. I like it! It has a built in switch machine that works manually without any throw. I'm considering going back tomorrow and picking up two more to replace the Atlas turnouts that are on there now...

So here's a couple shots with a 20.5 x 26 roundy round, and was able to squeeze in an interchange track and two sidings.

pwnj

• Crew
  • The Resourceful Route!
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2011, 10:17:45 PM »
I was wondering, how did this turn out?  Or did it?  Just curious.  I like the small layout concept, but I got to the end of this thread and now I'm left dangling like a participle...