Author Topic: Norfolk Southern N Scale 6 x 10 Layout  (Read 18188 times)

davidgray1974

• Crew
  • "...." - Luke Skywalker
  • Respect: +224
Re: Norfolk Southern N Scale 6 x 10 Layout
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2011, 07:53:00 PM »

Completely agree. In fact, Dave's Juniata serves as an excellent launching point to explore some variations. Here's something to consider. It's streamlined, with fewer sidings and a tighter, double-track mainline route. To break the "everything's parallel to the layout edges" syndrome of Unitrack, the whole plan except the yard is cocked on a 7-degree angle. The secret to the trick is one customized track part highlighted in red.

Or, for some out-and-back ops...

Wow Dave!  I really like the clean look of both these layouts.  I think I'm leaning more toward the 2nd because of the reverse loop.  I really like the idea of being able to bring the consists straight into the yard instead of backing them in.  I also really like the industrial area next to the yard.  I had actually given some thought about it before after seeing Paul Dolkos Woodsriver Yard.  I also like the layouts curves making it very appealing to the eye.  The only thing I'm not sure of is the double track.  The only reason being is that it almost makes the layout feel smaller IMHO.  I could be wrong and it is definitely known to happen.  (On more occasions than I'm willing to admit).  Do you think single track is more prototypical to realistic layout design or is more of a problem in smaller layouts?  Would a couple run around tracks be sufficient?    
I also like the area for the mine.  Might actually give me a reason to use the Walthers Glacier Gravel Co. I built. (see below) One last question.  Is the layout that you designed used with Kato Unitrack or another type of track?  Reason being, if I go with something like this I want to make sure it is fairly easy to duplicate.  Thanks again for the great suggestions!!! :)

« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 08:03:51 PM by davidgray1974 »

Modeling the L&N, well at least a few times a year.

davidgray1974

• Crew
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2011, 08:35:58 PM »
Here are some pictures of some ideas I had for a major industry.  The only problem lies in having a good knowledge of how these industries work in regards to rail operations.  
This picture is of a plant in Henderson called Eastern Minerals.  Based on their website, this is what this plant does: Eastern Minerals is operated by a Batch Process Control Computer and has a trace mineral premix line, a phosphate mineral line and two ingredient lines.  As with the other plants, it is capable of bulk or bagged receipt and shipment.  The primary market of Eastern Minerals is the Eastern Seaboard, Ohio, New York and New England and the export market.

Here is another picture, but of an Ethanol Plant out midwest. For some reason I am drawn to structures like this.    

And this last photo is of a modeled Ethanol Plant.  I really love the detail involved with this.

I want my industries to have alot going on and not just a simple building.  I want it to have a real world feel, like it actually exists somewhere.  I really want my layout to be believable.  When it comes to plants, I just wish I knew more about their processes, but where do you go to do such research without actually working in that environment?  I know MR writes books about trackside industries, but they don't always get real in depth. I do however see them as a great starting point in giving you the basics.   Am I going overboard in my thinking, making this more than it should be?  
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 11:35:33 PM by davidgray1974 »

davidgray1974

• Crew
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2011, 08:43:02 PM »
David,

Sorry, I didn't read carefully about access...

The first thought I have is that while it is easy for a train to leave the yard, it is hard for it to return to it.

Without knowing your preferences, how about building a large paper mill complex. This could utilize a large variety of car types, and plenty of switching operations. Don't forget operations like a clean-out track and maybe some battered old cars to move pulp around the plant.

The stub yard can be used to pull cars and spot them at the plant. You could even use a caboose or pushing platform for the push back to the yard. The left side of the loop could be concealed behind a building or wood chips or something, with a view break between it and the yard. The loop can be used as a tail track for pulling cats or when you just want to watch trains running. This is my plan for my Beer Line. Switching when I am in the mood, and running when I don't feel like that.

The functionality of the interchange off line could be improved using a train length cart with a couple of tracks. Kinda like a car ferry to swap incoming and outgoing trains.

The MP-15 and Geeps would look great switching, and the six-axle power could be used for the transfer trains.

Just some thoughts.
Best wishes, Dave
I really like the idea of a paper plant.  The one great plus is that Walthers has everything needed to build a pretty substantial set up.  They pretty much take the guess work out which is great for me.  I will definately keep this as a possibility.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2011, 09:24:13 PM »
David, the plans were done using the Unitrack library, so you can build it just as it's drawn, no prob. I thought the double-track version would enhance ops possibilities--one train can be doing laps while you switch industries with a second. Here's a single-track version.

Working in usable-length passing sidings becomes tricky because of the track geometry, and the result is your trains will need to be a lot shorter. When I lengthen the siding at the front, it does away with the long straight bridge.

I really like the idea of a paper plant.  The one great plus is that Walthers has everything needed to build a pretty substantial set up.  They pretty much take the guess work out which is great for me.  I will definately keep this as a possibility.

My only concern about an industry like a paper plant is that it's quite large and could overwhelm the layout. IMO smaller layouts fare better with smaller industries.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 10:04:08 PM by David K. Smith »

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2011, 09:55:44 PM »
I like the looks of the single track.  It amazes me how fast you can whip these plans out. My thoughts on a paper mill was to use the entire layout to model the mill, but that doesn't seem to be what David G. has in mind.

Best wishes, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

davidgray1974

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2011, 11:04:01 PM »
I like the looks of the single track.  It amazes me how fast you can whip these plans out. My thoughts on a paper mill was to use the entire layout to model the mill, but that doesn't seem to be what David G. has in mind.

Best wishes, Dave
I agree. Dave is awesome at coming up with great looking and functional layouts on the fly.  I would have to say I am very impressed.  He definitley has a gift for this.  

In regards to the paper mill, I wasn't totally against it.  I actually thought it was a great idea especially with the selection of different buildings Wathers offers.  But I do see what Dave is saying in regards to it possibly overwhelming the layout.  

davidgray1974

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2011, 11:25:31 PM »
David, the plans were done using the Unitrack library, so you can build it just as it's drawn, no prob. I thought the double-track version would enhance ops possibilities--one train can be doing laps while you switch industries with a second. Here's a single-track version.

Working in usable-length passing sidings becomes tricky because of the track geometry, and the result is your trains will need to be a lot shorter. When I lengthen the siding at the front, it does away with the long straight bridge.

I completely agree with you in regards that double track would enhance ops possibilties.  I believe John Armstrong even suggested it as you have in "Track Planning for Realistic Operation" for smaller layouts.  I am concerned however with having to shorten my consist as you have suggested due to short run arounds.  That definately gives me something to think about.  I also really like the version with the extended run around but would miss not having the truse bridge.   

James Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +292
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2011, 12:55:12 AM »
David, that is some nice work on the ethanol plant - very believable.
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

davidgray1974

• Crew
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2011, 11:30:08 AM »
David, that is some nice work on the ethanol plant - very believable.
I know right?!  I only wish I could take credit for it.  I found it on the MR website as a reference for what I would possibly like on my layout.

davidgray1974

• Crew
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2011, 12:29:26 PM »

Dave, just want to confirm.  Are some of these switches #4 and #6? 

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2011, 12:50:03 PM »
Dave, just want to confirm.  Are some of these switches #4 and #6? 

Yes, there's a mix of both. It's pretty much a necessary evil because of the switch geometry. Using only #6s results in absurdly wide track spacing. Others may wish to chime in here about the reliability of Unitrack #4s in mainline locations; I don't recall seeing any objections based on performance.

davidgray1974

• Crew
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2011, 07:45:48 PM »
Hey fellas.  Here is what I have so far.  I have kept some of the aspects of the original layout and added some of the suggestions by David S. The bottom portion of the layout will be mountainous while the top portion is a rural farm scene.  I really like the yard design David S. came up with, so that will not change.  I am purchasing the necessary materials to add the yard section of my layout.  I am still open to suggestions since nothing is glued down at this point.  Let me know what you think.   :)

« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 07:50:55 PM by davidgray1974 »

nscalemike

• Crew
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2011, 12:41:38 AM »
Just a couple observations here:
1,  that 4X8 looks a lot bigger looking at the track on the pink foam then the plan on paper.  You have two trains of very nice length.  When you get your backdrop and some scenery in there it will be even better!
2,  definitely something to be said for the unitrack!  Paper - Plan - Benchwork - Track - Running trains in no time!!!  And, with a surface like that it's solid enough that you could operate it for weeks/months/years without ever having to glue it down!

Looking very good so far, can't wait to see the yard addition to it as well!
Mike

davidgray1974

• Crew
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2011, 09:04:02 PM »
Here is the layout with the yard.

davidgray1974

• Crew
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2011, 09:08:36 PM »
Just a couple observations here:
1,  that 4X8 looks a lot bigger looking at the track on the pink foam then the plan on paper.  You have two trains of very nice length.  When you get your backdrop and some scenery in there it will be even better!
2,  definitely something to be said for the unitrack!  Paper - Plan - Benchwork - Track - Running trains in no time!!!  And, with a surface like that it's solid enough that you could operate it for weeks/months/years without ever having to glue it down!

Looking very good so far, can't wait to see the yard addition to it as well!
Mike
Thanks Mike.  I'm pretty happy with how far it has come.  Especially want to thank everyone that has contributed to its current design.   A lot of wonderful and knowledgeable folks on here.  I'm grateful for their time and help. 

It really does look bigger than it does on paper.  I can't wait to get the yard started.  I can't imagine how big it will seem then.  :) I'm sure the wife will appreciate it as much as I do ;)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 09:14:46 PM by davidgray1974 »