Author Topic: I need help ....  (Read 2130 times)

eja

• Crew
  • Respect: +198
I need help ....
« on: December 20, 2011, 01:50:54 PM »

I've been detailing this Kato SD-40 for a couple of years now. Finally got the courage to drill out the fans so I can add BLMA fans to it. Then I screw it up when I am filing the tops of the fan housings as Craig says to do.

Any suggestions on how I can build the right housing back to the same level as the others?

Anyone have an extra shell they want to sell ( although I really don't want to start over)?

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1139
Re: I need help ....
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 03:06:47 PM »
It looks minor to me.  How about filing all of the fans down to that level?  It won't stand out (to this set of eyes).

pwnj

• Crew
  • The Resourceful Route!
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 03:14:49 PM »
Yeah, either that, or file the second one down a little so it's a gradual drop.  Much less noticeable.  Then enforce a strict "No Macro Photography" zone on your layout. ;)

3DTrains

• Crew
  • Respect: +7
    • 3DTrains
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 03:27:51 PM »
Or set aside a few bucks to purchase a new shell on the 'bay.  ;)

Cheers!
Marc

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7962
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 04:05:33 PM »
I like the idea of evening them out.

Or not even worrying about it. Fan rings were interchangeable components, and they got swapped from unit to unit.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 04:23:34 PM »
Because it's open in the middle this isn't tough rebuild I don't think.  File the top of the fan housing flat, find out how much material you need and match that to a styrene sheet.  You can cut out a circle a little larger  in diameter than the housing and glue it to the top.  Use a good plastics glue and let it dry completely, over night even.  Open the inside by stepping up drill sizes and use an x-acto and file to match the housing inside and out.

Jason

nscalemike

• Crew
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 11:24:02 AM »
Or not even worrying about it. Fan rings were interchangeable components, and they got swapped from unit to unit.

I don't know if its prototypical but if this is going to be a rust bucket then paint this last fan a 'newer' shade of paint and use it as an actual attention getter.

Alwyn Cutmore

• Crew
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 04:41:47 PM »
would a casting of the back three fans help? if so PM me.

Regards
Al Cutmore
Slobbering Pennsy Shark Nose Freak
Australia

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 07:53:29 PM »
FWIW, if it was me, I'd sand them all down to match the shortie. I've compared the model image to a proto image, and the original fan ring height is just about dead-on. However, IIRC, the retrofit fans include an etched part that's added to the top of the plastic ring, raising its height slightly. I believe this should compensate for some loss in height, at least enough that only the most stringent scrutiny may detect a discrepancy.

pnolan48

• Crew
  • Respect: +136
    • N Scale Ships
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 09:26:53 PM »
I'd just call it a shop repair. I see this kind of discrepancy on nearly every photo of ships through their lifetimes--actually drives me nuts sometimes. I saw all sorts of shop repairs in the Gallup NM yard. The engines that travel through my new Ohio town seem to be pretty chopped up and patched back together. And I swear I saw a faded silver ATSF panel on a very faded blu-ish BNSF this last trip down to Alabama.

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 04:46:22 PM »
You sometimes see some weird stuff on locomotives.  Check out the nose on the unit to the right.

eja

• Crew
  • Respect: +198
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 11:47:30 AM »
Lock4244

Thanks for the "photographic evidence" links.    Looks like I could mix and match at will without feeling guilty about it !

Now if I can just file it flat without making it "too" short !   (Memories of many cartoons about trying to level a table come to mind)

ed

Robbman

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2011, 01:00:40 PM »
Some roads like Conrail actually had a 'mid' profile fan grill ring (SDs sit higher than GPs... so for clearance purposes the 'mid' ring puts the fan height the same as a GP) so where your fan height is now is acceptable for a fan ring that's been interchanged.

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 01:07:02 PM »
I don't know if its prototypical ....

No worries, you know what they say about there being a prototype for everything....    ;)

Ed