Author Topic: BFTX trash gon  (Read 3220 times)

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
  • Respect: +1102
BFTX trash gon
« on: May 27, 2011, 11:06:34 PM »
Since we don't see these on the West Coast, I was wondering if anyone knew what bulkhead flat these were built on?
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2369126.

Also, I was down at Dunsmuir a few weeks ago and some 89' flats went by with slab sides...guessing they were trash haulers as well?

Thanks....that reminds me I need to take out the trash.

Joe
MTl
Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor!

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
Re: BFTX trash gon
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 11:44:08 PM »
Wow...a weatherer's dream train!! 8)

cv_acr

• Crew
  • Respect: +127
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 12:00:00 AM »
That's the Canadian pattern 52'6" bulkhead flatcar. Variations built by Marine Industries, Hawker-Siddeley, CN Transcona Shops, and Railwest Manufacturing (BCOL Squamish Shops).

Based on the small jack pads and the pulling loops, I'd say these two in particular were the RailWest flavour. (Built in the British Columbia Railway shops exclusively for BCOL).
http://canadianfreightcargallery.ca/cgi-bin/image.pl?i=bcol17968&o=bcol

Most of these cars only differ very slightly in the jacking pads near the trucks. The RWM cars however had an deck that rested above the side sills of the cars, while every other version had deck boards flush between the side sill members. Marine Industries also made some similar slightly shorted 51' cars.

http://canadianfreightcargallery.ca/cgi-bin/search.pl?builder=Railwest+Manufacturing&keywords=Flatcar&display=short

http://canadianfreightcargallery.ca/cgi-bin/search.pl?builder=CN+%28Transcona+Shops%29&keywords=Bulkhead&display=short

http://canadianfreightcargallery.ca/cgi-bin/search.pl?car_type=flatcar&builder=Hawker-Siddeley&keywords=Bulkhead+Pulpwood&searchtype=or&display=short

http://canadianfreightcargallery.ca/cgi-bin/search.pl?builder=Marine+Industries&keywords=Bulkhead&display=short
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 12:33:48 AM by cv_acr »

Roger Holmes

• Crew
  • Respect: +580
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 08:10:16 PM »
This could turn 2011 from the "Year of Amtrak" to the "Year of Trash on the Rails."
Best regards,

Roger

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those who understand the binary system and those who don't.

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 09:31:20 PM »
These things are all over the Boston line. I wonder if new sides on the 60' bulkhead flat would make a credible stand-in. I take it thats the direction you are looking at Joe.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

cv_acr

• Crew
  • Respect: +127
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 01:13:25 PM »
These things are all over the Boston line. I wonder if new sides on the 60' bulkhead flat would make a credible stand-in. I take it thats the direction you are looking at Joe.

Doubtfull. These cars are 52'6" inside length with the very distinctive square bulkheads common to the Canadian 52' design. A 60' IL car with slanted bulkheads wouldn't really have the same effect.

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 11:22:53 PM »
Make em Joe....With body mounts and proper ride height though!
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 12:51:17 AM »
We talked about it!  I mean, just for the number of units and all the tagging...my air brush trigger is itchn'   ;D   I'm sure Bryan would find some reference that said New Haven had one!   ;D

Make em Joe....With body mounts and proper ride height though!
Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor!

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 09:33:05 AM »
We talked about it!  I mean, just for the number of units and all the tagging...my air brush trigger is itchn'   ;D   I'm sure Bryan would find some reference that said New Haven had one!   ;D

Nope, I stick to models that are at least close to the prototype, while totally ignoring the blatant foobies!  So, I'll pass without thinking twice if MTL ends up releasing a NH modern trash flat -- just as I did with this month's totally fictional NH USRA 40' wood boxcar. 8)
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 06:40:16 PM »
We talked about it!  I mean, just for the number of units and all the tagging...my air brush trigger is itchn'   ;D   I'm sure Bryan would find some reference that said New Haven had one!   ;D

Ok do it then....or I will write constant letters to MT a la Shawshank style...
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 09:12:44 AM »
it was a joke  ;D

Nope, I stick to models that are at least close to the prototype, while totally ignoring the blatant foobies!  So, I'll pass without thinking twice if MTL ends up releasing a NH modern trash flat -- just as I did with this month's totally fictional NH USRA 40' wood boxcar. 8)

jnevis

• Crew
  • WP Lives
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 09:50:07 AM »
So with all the trash talk lately, I have a question...

I understand that most of the rail-transported trash seems to be on the East Coast.  Has it started showing up out West anywhere too?  I figure CA would LOVE to find somebody else to take all it's garbage (and trash too :) ).  I'm stuck East for now but want to build something Central California since that's where I'm from.
Can't model worth a darn, but can research like an SOB.

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 10:05:22 AM »
So with all the trash talk lately, I have a question...

I understand that most of the rail-transported trash seems to be on the East Coast.  Has it started showing up out West anywhere too?  I figure CA would LOVE to find somebody else to take all it's garbage (and trash too :) ).  I'm stuck East for now but want to build something Central California since that's where I'm from.

Check out the latest issue of Trains.  Seattle was the first city to haul trash by rail.  LA is just getting started using rail.  I found out there is a MD trash train that travels only a short distance that I didn't know about in Montgomery County.  Interesting article, well worth a look.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 12:28:36 PM »
it was a joke  ;D

I know, just pointing out where I stand. ;)
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

mcjaco

• Crew
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2011, 01:03:33 PM »
The California Northern hauls trash via double stack cars out of Napa.  Or at least they did ten years ago.  It was interesting to see open top containers with canvas tops stacked on each other.
~ Matt