Author Topic: Z Scale Tie Spacing  (Read 3689 times)

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
Z Scale Tie Spacing
« on: May 12, 2011, 10:03:59 AM »
How can one be critical of ties, and not of rail? As a matter of course, all track consists of both, so the old "tie spacing" debate is rather flawed, IMO.

Consider: http://1-220.blogspot.com/2011/05/why-correct-tie-spacing-isnt-important.html

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
Re: Z Scale Tie Spacing
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 10:22:04 AM »
I guess this also is a matter of opinion, as the tie spacing leaps out to my eye ...

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 10:39:09 AM »
I guess this also is a matter of opinion, as the tie spacing leaps out to my eye ...

But not the rail? That's always been my puzzler...

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 11:47:47 AM »
I think tie thickness plays a bigger role than rail (within reason on the rail code).  With the ties there are two visual components, the thickness, and the spacing.  If the ties are too thick, than you can't use proper spacing because the distance between the ties becomes too small (and hen out of proportion).  The Rokuhan does look pretty good and part of that is because the tie spacing works well with the tie thickness.  You should be able to fit one tie in between with a litte space on either side.  In your example of the MTL track, I would point out that only the tops of the ties are painted which leave the ties lacking visually.  It looks like you could fit almost two ties between them.  So yes, overly skinny ties with overly fat rail is not a good look.  If you were to paint the entire tie, I think the proportions would be much better.

Maybe this is a tomato tomahto situation, but I know from laying N scale track that using overly thick ties like ME produced and then trying to space them correctly produced uninspiring results where scale milled ties look very nice , even with the oversized c40 rail.

Jason

Mark5

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 12:26:37 PM »
But not the rail? That's always been my puzzler...

Well the rail too. That's why I started using code 40 in the mid 70s ...

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 01:38:17 PM »
Well the rail too. That's why I started using code 40 in the mid 70s ...

The only problem is, Code 40 is still too big for Z scale. So one must use other tactics to create reasonable-looking track. My point is that mixing grossly oversize rail with correct ties doesn't work.

Mark5

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 02:58:14 PM »
The only problem is, Code 40 is still too big for Z scale. So one must use other tactics to create reasonable-looking track. My point is that mixing grossly oversize rail with correct ties doesn't work.

Yeah, I know. I'm in N scale though. ;) I agree that mixing oversize rail with good ties is a fail.

But hell, I've gotten lazy - even though code 55 is too big for N, it's "good enough" for me. Maybe when all the kids move out and I'm retired I'll return to hand laying.

Hats off to you on the C25 Z!  8)

Mark

ztrack

• Crew
  • Working to drive Z to all new levels!
  • Respect: +233
    • Ztrack
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 04:24:12 PM »

So David, what you are saying is two wrongs do make a right.  ;D

Sorry, can't agree with you. I have been living in Z scale since 1985 and am used to the rail size. I am also used to Marklin tie spacing and MTL tie spacing. Hands down, MTL looks better. What bothers me about Rokuhan is that the tie spacing is wide, and the ties are wide. They are even wider than Marklin's. Forget the rail height. It is ties that are more noticeable to most. But don't get me wrong, I do think Rokuhan track is perfect... perfect for Nn3... which in their own marketing, they heavily tout their line for.

Rob
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 04:30:04 PM by ztrack »
Z, turning N on it's side since 1972
www.ztrack.com
www.ztrackcenter.com
www.ztrackresale.com

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 04:37:30 PM »
I have been living in Z scale since 1985 and am used to the rail size.

And therein lies the problem. To quote Yoda, you must "unlearn what you have leaned" and come to appreciate what visual balance means to Z scale track. In this case, I believe that two wrongs do indeed make--if not a right--then a better, IMO. Sorry, but to my eye, the longer I stare at M-T track, the goofier it looks. Besides, Nn3 track should have much longer ties to look more like classic narrow-gauge track. I'll agree it's not ideal, by any means, but given the choice, I'm leaning much closer to Rokuhan than M-T these days. Go figure.

Forget the rail height.

Sorry, I've been living with Z scale track since 1972, and at long last I've taken off my blinders! (winkies all around)

Now, if you really want to get serious about rail height, I've got your number...

« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 04:43:28 PM by David K. Smith »

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 04:54:54 PM »
Besides, Nn3 track should have much longer ties to look more like classic narrow-gauge track.

And 5.5" closer gauge.  :)

Jason