Author Topic: Most Wanted Freight Cars in N-Scale - The 60's  (Read 2208 times)

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
Most Wanted Freight Cars in N-Scale - The 60's
« on: May 19, 2011, 07:17:28 PM »
The recent post by Joe at MTL brought to mind something I've been wanting to do for a while now.  The MFCL freight car group on Yahoo did a survey several years ago about which freight cars were most needed/wanted.  Now, this is a mostly HO group so it won't map exactly but I thought this would be a good place to start for building a similar list in N.  Obviously some of these cars already exist in N or are on the way.  Anyway...DISCUSS!

NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

pnolan48

• Crew
  • Respect: +136
    • N Scale Ships
Re: Most Wanted Freight Cars in N-Scale - The 60's
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 07:43:20 PM »
If I understand this post correctly, these are cars that were introduced into service in the 1960s? I model the 1950s, so I am out of it (in more ways than one).

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 08:03:16 PM »
If I understand this post correctly, these are cars that were introduced into service in the 1960s? I model the 1950s, so I am out of it (in more ways than one).

Pete, yes this particular survey was from the 1960's onward.  "Modern" freight cars.   I'm not sure if any of the other forums that focus on earlier freight cars have done such a survey, but I would be happy to aggregate the info and post it if somebody can point me in the right direction.  Doug
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 10:39:29 PM »
Personally, I'm still struggling to gain more variety in the basic areas and, perhaps, too much of the newer stuff I can use is being released; stuff that's on the list. For instance, I could use more variety in steel ice bunker reefers constructed in the 50s, which are dominant in the 60s in the region/industries I model.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 10:42:16 PM »
       The 1760's? There were no Railways then.Oh yea.1960's when I was just a wee high schooler.Any Box car with the roof walks removed,but still having the old high ladders and brake wheels. This would be like Con Cor's first mechanical reefer,which could be back dated like I did by adding a roof walk.              Nate Goodman (Nato).

sirenwerks

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 10:52:30 AM »
      The 1760's? There were no Railways then.Oh yea.1960's when I was just a wee high schooler.Any Box car with the roof walks removed,but still having the old high ladders and brake wheels. This would be like Con Cor's first mechanical reefer,which could be back dated like I did by adding a roof walk.              Nate Goodman (Nato).

'Not sure I follow your logic Nate, I think there was more going on in the 60s than the lowering of ladders and brakewheels and removal of roofwalks; especially considering the FRA mandate didn't go into effect until mid-decade ('66) leaving the beginning business as usual, roofwalks and all.

pnolan48

• Crew
  • Respect: +136
    • N Scale Ships
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 01:28:19 PM »
Pete, yes this particular survey was from the 1960's onward.  "Modern" freight cars.   I'm not sure if any of the other forums that focus on earlier freight cars have done such a survey, but I would be happy to aggregate the info and post it if somebody can point me in the right direction.  Doug

Doug,

Great! I just wanted to be sure. These threads will be a handy reference guide for me on what to avoid! My weakness has always been lack of real railroading knowledge.

Nato

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 12:52:03 AM »
           Yes there was alot going on in the 60's I have always thought that those butchered cars wo roof walks but retaing the high ladders and brake wheels were cool looking. I back dated(added a walkway) to  one Con Cor Reefer to see if I could do it. The way the car came I thought was neat as someone had taken the time to model a quickly converted car like I was seeing then in trains. Ntae Goodman (Nato).

sirenwerks

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 01:36:38 PM »
Yes, like Athearn 60' ribbed Pullman Standard auto parts box, which is manufactured with low ladders all around & no roofwalk and a high ladder version with roofwalk, and also sold as a hybrid of the two with high ladders and no roofwalk.

Nato

• Crew
"A Big Thank'
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 01:28:32 AM »
           Doug, A "Big Thanks" and a tip o the hat for compilimg all the information on the different era cars,even if I did sort of poke fun with each one. I think it is useful data to have. Nate Goodman (Nato).