0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Bryan, Quite honestly, the stuff stagnating on the shelves is the middle era stuff 60's-80's. Modern era stuff sells just fine, steam era stuff sells just fine. The Atlas outside braced, single sheathed and rebuilt boxcars sell fast. Modern intermodal sells fast. If it distinctly looks the era, it sells. The grey area and esoteric stuff is where the problem lies. The esoteric road names I am talking about are all the unusual short lines and one off's that most people don't have a clue about unless they live in the region that the roads run. As much as I would love to see Atlas do some Indiana and Ohio GP30 and 40's, I don't expect it to happen yet I see similar roads anounced each month that have a very localized appeal and no need for us to even bother carrying. We can't sell PC, Chessie or Conrail at all yet B&O, C&O, CSX, NS, and even UP and BNSF sell fine. Both ends of the time line with nothing in the middle. Keep in mind, we are a HobbyTown but also one of the last full line train shops in town. We get both casual and craftsman type customers so I see a full range of interests. I wish the manufactures would do more like MicroTrains and put a little history of the car on the box. Build and in-service dates would be extremely helpful for when the customer is just not sure. My knowlege of a cars history when talking to a customer can help sell it but I'm not there the whole time the store is open. The dates my kill a sale just as easily as it makes the sale though and might be why they are not doing it. It's not so much to educate the customer but give them the information they need, should they care. If the customer is just buying NYC because it's NYC, dates and such are not going to sway or deter him anyhow.
Build and in-service dates would be extremely helpful for when the customer is just not sure.