Author Topic: PRR Track Plan  (Read 29667 times)

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
Re: PRR Track Plan
« Reply #120 on: May 04, 2011, 10:26:15 AM »
Be sure to test those #10s installed "point to point" on Tracks 3 and 4 (see the offset or s-curves if you go through both curved routes?) and see how reliable pushing passenger cars through that trackage will be.  The #10s are very long, so I would predict that you'll be fine, but it wouldn't hurt, as Ed suggests, to mock it up and try it out first.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7956
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #121 on: May 04, 2011, 12:36:21 PM »
Most importantly, try SHOVING a bunch of passenger cars through it.

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #122 on: May 04, 2011, 12:47:42 PM »
Most importantly, try SHOVING a bunch of passenger cars through it.

That could be interesting.

I'm not a passenger car guy, the only ones I own are the Penn Central's recently released by Kato, so I don't know if how the Kato cars behave is indicative of all passenger cars or not.

Anywho, I was surprised how light the Kato passenger cars are– I mean very, very light.  

Secondly, the wheels are slightly too narrow, which is a potential bug-a-boo on Atlas code 55.  Between the their light weight and narrow wheelsets, it could be quite an adventure trying to back these cars through any sort of code 55 trackwork, but some complicated passenger terminal trackwork?  Hmm.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 12:54:59 PM by MichaelWinicki »

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +607
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #123 on: May 04, 2011, 03:38:22 PM »
I'm not a passenger car guy, the only ones I own are the Penn Central's recently released by Kato, so I don't know if how the Kato cars behave is indicative of all passenger cars or not.

Like most other things Kato makes, I have found that the Kato coaches are very forgiving and smooth running.  They run much better than the other 85 foot cars that I have.  Then again, setting the bar with Con-Cor coaches may skew any comparison pretty badly...

As for the throat design, we may have a winner.

Although I can't test run cars right now because I don't have the requisite turnouts, I did lay out two point-to-point #10's on a piece of paper and set up two Centralia coaches at the maximum offset.  Here's what it looks like:

Offset was less than 1/4 inch.

-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +607
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #124 on: May 04, 2011, 03:48:58 PM »
In context.

I added a few stub-end storage tracks above the station.  I'm not sure if I'll keep all of them, but I'll probably include at least one so that trains can use the balloon loop to turn around without having to pull into a platform track.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 12:29:05 AM by eric220 »
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com