Author Topic: FVM B&O M-53 wagontop sample photos...  (Read 7563 times)

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
Re: FVM B&O M-53 wagontop sample photos...
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2011, 03:06:19 AM »
Since FVM has used MTL trucks in the past, I'm guessing the new truck has an offset bolster to match MTL and allow them to use the truck on past runs which also have an offset bolster pin hole.

Kudos to FVM for dealing with the offset pin problem; alas, it prevents properly retrofitting the car with anyone else's trucks, most of which aren't offset. And it's ironic that M-T car frames have the pin hole centered along the car bolster, meaning M-T's own trucks are not centered correctly on the car.

David,
 If you look, the bolster pin hole on the car is offset to match the truck so that the truck remains centered on the ride pads. I think this is the first time I have seen anybody pay attention to this...

Different way of saying the same thing. I've been noticing this since M-T existed, and it's always bugged me. For years I solved the problem by cutting the couplers off of M-T's trucks with medium-extended couplers, because the pin hole is centered on the bolster, whereas it's not on their coupler-less trucks (I body-mounted Z scale couplers). Fortunately I've always had a small fleet, because it's an awfully expensive way of fixing the truck problem.

Sorry for the thread drift... The FVM wagon-top is stunning; it may become one of the first new N scale purchases I've made in years.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 03:21:21 AM by David K. Smith »

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2011, 11:05:24 AM »
Kudos to FVM for dealing with the offset pin problem; alas, it prevents properly retrofitting the car with anyone else's trucks, most of which aren't offset. And it's ironic that M-T car frames have the pin hole centered along the car bolster, meaning M-T's own trucks are not centered correctly on the car.

Different way of saying the same thing. I've been noticing this since M-T existed, and it's always bugged me. For years I solved the problem by cutting the couplers off of M-T's trucks with medium-extended couplers, because the pin hole is centered on the bolster, whereas it's not on their coupler-less trucks (I body-mounted Z scale couplers). Fortunately I've always had a small fleet, because it's an awfully expensive way of fixing the truck problem.

Sorry for the thread drift... The FVM wagon-top is stunning; it may become one of the first new N scale purchases I've made in years.

The original KD/MTL 50' boxcar underframe used to have the offset bolster hole so that the trucks would align properly (except ironically for the aforementioned Symington and Barber RB trucks with medium-extended couplers that were used almost exclusively on the ACF modern outside-post boxcars).  I haven't paid close attention to the current 50' boxcar underframe so I don't know it that still is the case.

I've always wondered - shouldn't MTL just redesign the coupler boxes so that the back of the coupler clears a truck bolster with a properly-centered hole?  There is plenty of excess plastic that can go on the 1015 coupler box, and it's not as if it hasn't been redesigned and retooled a number of times since it was introduced.  Besides, anyone who body-mounts and doesn't use the MTL truck frames with the offset hole modifies either the truck frame or the coupler box anyway.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2011, 11:12:35 AM »
The original KD/MTL 50' boxcar underframe used to have the offset bolster hole so that the trucks would align properly (except ironically for the aforementioned Symington and Barber RB trucks with medium-extended couplers that were used almost exclusively on the ACF modern outside-post boxcars).  I haven't paid close attention to the current 50' boxcar underframe so I don't know it that still is the case.

The 40' boxcar frame has the holes centered on the bolster. So do the short tank cars, 33' hoppers, and almost everything else I have at hand. The Bettendorf-style trucks with medium extended couplers had centered holes--those were the ones I used.

I've always wondered - shouldn't MTL just redesign the coupler boxes so that the back of the coupler clears a truck bolster with a properly-centered hole?  There is plenty of excess plastic that can go on the 1015 coupler box, and it's not as if it hasn't been redesigned and retooled a number of times since it was introduced.  Besides, anyone who body-mounts and doesn't use the MTL truck frames with the offset hole modifies either the truck frame or the coupler box anyway.

Me, too. But I suspect they really don't want to change the offset truck design, for whatever reasons.

babbo_enzo

• Crew
  • Respect: +12
    • Experience IT!
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2011, 05:30:18 AM »

I'm waiting June too for some cars: it was sure a signature car also found running on western tracks.
What I've noted from pictures is that wheels are not the "expected" awesome FVM low profile.
Just a pre-production picture with a "wrong" pair of wheels .... or another "don't want ...for whatever reasons" ?

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2011, 08:51:17 AM »
They appear to be the "wide tread" version of the FVM wheels.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1242
    • Modutrak
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2011, 10:07:18 AM »

I've always wondered - shouldn't MTL just...

Do you know how many different combinations of words could be used to finish that statement?  ;)

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2011, 10:11:29 AM »
Do you know how many different combinations of words could be used to finish that statement?  ;)

Agreed. M-T is what it is; they do what they do; we just have to accept them just as the way they are. Kind of like quantum theory--it makes no rational sense to most of us, but there's nothing we can do about it.

babbo_enzo

• Crew
  • Respect: +12
    • Experience IT!
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2011, 10:24:08 AM »
M-T is what it is; they do what they do;
we just have to accept them just as the way they are.
Kind of like quantum theory--
Well, given that "Quantum" on the Latin-English dictionary means:
how much?, how much!, as much as....
I agree too. :°)

rogergperkins

• Crew
  • Modeling the B&O in central IL in autumn of 1940's
  • Respect: 0
Re: FVM B&O M-53 wagontop September 2013.
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2013, 07:15:14 AM »
What happened with the additional run of these cars which were promised for this time 2013?
I have not seen them listed. Hope I did not miss them.
Thanks.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2013, 08:03:28 AM »
I like the looks of these cars, but I still prefer the oil-canning effect that was captured in the Precision N Scale model.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2013, 08:25:16 AM »
Very tough to do with injection molded tooling.  But yes, the sheet metal effect on all of the FNS models is exquisite.

The third run isn't out yet.  Best to contact FVM via email or Facebook to see what the current expected date is.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1242
    • Modutrak
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2013, 09:06:46 AM »
I like the looks of these cars, but I still prefer the oil-canning effect that was captured in the Precision N Scale model.

Lee

Except "oil canning" is a welded car phenomenon more so than riveted cars. It is neat on the Fine N Scale cars but not prototypical. Riveted cars stayed pretty straight.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2013, 10:05:48 AM »
Except "oil canning" is a welded car phenomenon more so than riveted cars. It is neat on the Fine N Scale cars but not prototypical. Riveted cars stayed pretty straight.

I agree.  I imagine that the distortion is caused by expansion of the thin steel sheet due to overheating during welding.  If you have ever watched those weekend automotive how-to shows (e.g., the Powerblock on Spike TV), they are often warning about the risks of overheating sheet metal by continuously welding in one area and warping the metal.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

rogergperkins

• Crew
  • Modeling the B&O in central IL in autumn of 1940's
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2013, 10:25:01 AM »
I am certain I ordered the new run from the LHS, but I asked them to check their order book yesterday and no orders outstanding for me.
May have to go to the source. Thanks.

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2013, 02:34:38 AM »
I am certain I ordered the new run from the LHS, but I asked them to check their order book yesterday and no orders outstanding for me.
May have to go to the source. Thanks.

That run included the V&O cars which was cancelled. Most likely the cancelation of the V&O cars has delayed the other B&O car in this run if not accompanied the cancellation altogether.

The S.