Author Topic: Frank with Wally  (Read 2221 times)

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
Frank with Wally
« on: April 28, 2011, 04:35:28 PM »
Yesterday, I left Walthers this message: "In many ways, N scale modelers and HO sale modelers are wholly different markets. Sure, we both like trains, but given N scale's size, larger industries and longer trains are two benefits we enjoy over our HO counterparts. Yet, whenever I've heard of a Walthers representative commenting on when N scale will see a significant amount of the line of Walthers structure kits, the response is that sales need to be proven in HO scale before an N scale version will be considered? Do you consider how good an apple will taste by squeezing the oranges? N scalers have different needs than HO modelers and are sorely lacking the large industries and industry component kits we could use on our layouts (at a reasonable price). When will Walthers be ready to take my money, by meeting the demands of the N scale market?"

And, FWIW, I got this response "Here is the response we received from our New Product Department:

Totally agree with your assessment of the differences (and advantages) of N vs. HO. Don’t know who you talked to in the past, but today at Wm. K. Walthers there is no connection between the success of an HO Cornerstone building and the decision to make the same or similar model in N. Or vice versa for that matter! In fact you will soon see some interesting N Cornerstone buildings that have no HO counterparts. Stay tuned!

Michael Stephens, VP Proprietary Products"

I just hope "interesting" doesn't mean more trackside shanties, but something of substance.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
Re: Frank with Wally
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 04:39:35 PM »

I just hope "interesting" doesn't mean more trackside shanties, but something of substance.

That made me laugh out loud.

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 04:41:15 PM »
Does interesting mean warped like two of the three bridge kits I got... does interesting mean missing a wall like my roundhouse...? Now; to be fair, they do send replacements promptly but I am not sold on Wally's kits.
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

TiVoPrince

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 05:08:17 PM »
Hopefully 
Walthers will look at the best new products and choose to make structures that compliment what we are already buying. 

State of the art spine cars, modern reefers, pig flats, auto parts boxes and others have been recently released without complimentary structures/equipment available.  Making a structure to sell theme related locos/cars has been a staple in HO but has not translated well to N.  Concentrating on the merits of the Cornerstone brand by making products that make dimensional sense for HCD layouts but are expandable to fit larger layout spaces for those lucky enough to have bigger 'footprints' available for industries. 

C'mon Walthers, you know you want my money...
Support fine modeling

Brakie

• Crew
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 05:42:41 PM »
I would love to see the ethanol plant series and the Washington Salvage Yard in  N...
Larry

Summerset Ry.

sirenwerks

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 06:07:31 PM »
I'm hoping for the grain elevator series and upgraded and expanded modular walls.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4193
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 06:07:52 PM »
In many ways, N scale modelers and HO sale modelers are wholly different markets. Sure, we both like trains, but given N scale's size, larger industries and longer trains are two benefits we enjoy over our HO counterparts. Yet, whenever I've heard of a Walthers representative commenting on when N scale will see a significant amount of the line of Walthers structure kits, the response is that sales need to be proven in HO scale before an N scale version will be considered? Do you consider how good an apple will taste by squeezing the oranges? N scalers have different needs than HO modelers and are sorely lacking the large industries and industry component kits we could use on our layouts (at a reasonable price). When will Walthers be ready to take my money, by meeting the demands of the N scale market?

Quote from: Michael Stephens, Walthers VP Proprietary Products
Totally agree with your assessment of the differences (and advantages) of N vs. HO. Don’t know who you talked to in the past, but today at Wm. K. Walthers there is no connection between the success of an HO Cornerstone building and the decision to make the same or similar model in N. Or vice versa for that matter! In fact you will soon see some interesting N Cornerstone buildings that have no HO counterparts. Stay tuned!

The fact that Walthers officially has recognized that HO and N are two disparate markets while stating their previous position was invalid is a major policy shift on their part.  After such a revelation, we should give them the benefit of the doubt on the upcoming buildings - basically, let's wait until we learn what the new N-only Cornerstone buildings will be before preemptively taking a pessimistic tact.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 06:09:04 PM »
From my post on Trainfest 2009 (http://therailwire.net/forum/index.php/topic,19607.105.html)

"Walthers was interesting. I spent a fair bit of time discussing N scale with them, including Stacey Walthers Naffah. It is easy to throw rocks at them and be frustrated in N scale (and they deserve it), but I found her to be extremely nice and easy to talk to. We discussed the philosophy of future releases (serial releases vs. a theme release), problems with their N modular line (fit, variety of products, etc), and the issue of letting HO sales help decided on N releases. On this latter issue, they agreed that this didn't make any sense. I pointed them towards some of the great prototype modeling being done in N along with people wanting large industries."

I guess I really made an impression because in 2010 all the staff was gathered around this!  ::) :P
I just walked away.

Best wishes, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Packer

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 07:21:59 PM »
I guess I really made an impression because in 2010 all the staff was gathered around this!  ::) :P
I just walked away.

Best wishes, Dave

They were like that in 2011 (Atlanta). However they added some good-looking girl about my age (probably 18-21) playing with that same set-up. Unfortunately for walthers, I was more intrested in the girl then any of the products they had at the time; and I'm in HO. :P

As of late walther's seems to be wanting my money (SD9s and SW9s)
Vincent

If N scale had good SD40-2s, C30-7s, U30Cs, SD45s, SD40s, and SW10s; I'd be in N scale.

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 07:27:49 PM »
I am going to see the glass half full here.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

sirenwerks

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 10:16:07 PM »
I am going to see the glass half full here.

I'll wait until the glass is on the table and then report on its content.

asarge

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 11:26:50 PM »
Hopefully  
Walthers will look at the best new products and choose to make structures that compliment what we are already buying.  

State of the art spine cars, modern reefers, pig flats, auto parts boxes and others have been recently released without complimentary structures/equipment available.  Making a structure to sell theme related locos/cars has been a staple in HO but has not translated well to N.  Concentrating on the merits of the Cornerstone brand by making products that make dimensional sense for HCD layouts but are expandable to fit larger layout spaces for those lucky enough to have bigger 'footprints' available for industries.  

We've talked about that at the shop JJ. The scale has matured t the point where it's no longer just a coffee table layout or modular long train running club. It would definately help them sell the structure side if they chose industries that complimented some of the newer models done by them or somne of the lines they distribute. This is GREAT news for N scale IF they will follow thru on the plans. But we N scalers will also have to support them.

They were like that in 2011 (Atlanta). However they added some good-looking girl about my age (probably 18-21) playing with that same set-up

Saw her there seveal times didn't notice what she was doing....didn't care

Rich Reinhart

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 07:51:21 AM »
Lets just say I`m not very optimistic on what they plan on releasing (if anything)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 05:29:20 PM by Rich Reinhart »

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5400
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2011, 08:06:48 AM »
It's more to their benefit to make a smaller structure like Brach's Candy (which ironically, I think they discontinued) that they can sell for a premium price, and know that if we want a bigger building, we'll buy multiple copies.

What would be better would be if they would stop selling the 40 year old Heljan tooling at prices that are not reflective of how crappy the tooling has gotten over the years.  A lot of these are great foundation pieces for kitbashing, but if they're costing $30+ per kit, it's hard to pile up the necessary supplies to do a larger industries.

I have been watching with interest the fire sale that's been consistently running on their modulars, though...
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

mcjaco

• Crew
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2011, 10:15:06 AM »
I operate with one of the Walther's product development guys.  He's an HO guy, but I've been putting a bug in his ear for the last year that their N scale product catalog needs to expand, or at least bring back some of the Cornerstone kits permanently.  What sells in HO, will sell in N. 

I hope this isn't smoke up the rear, but I'm not holding my breath.   Yet. 
~ Matt