Author Topic: Potomac Yards T Scale layout  (Read 2974 times)

AlkemScaleModels

• Crew
  • Helps build strong models 8 ways
  • Respect: +39
    • Alkem Scale Models
Potomac Yards T Scale layout
« on: April 21, 2011, 10:36:21 PM »
My wife and I stopped by the sales trailer for the new Potomac Yards real estate development to see what was up. We live next to it.

I was surprised to see that they had an operating T Scale model train to accompany their sales model. The sales rep demonstrated the layout to us. The layout shows the three tracks of the CSX mainlines. The center track is wired with some type of auto reverse system that appears to uses magnets to reverse the train. It was pretty cool. Here are some photos I took with my iPhone.

They also had what appeared to be an N Scale model showing the the first phase of the development. These models are laser cut and show each house as they plan to build it. As they move to new sections, they will model each house as it will be built. That is more than 300 individual models.

AW standing on top of our house. They had a grealy enlarged aerial photo of the area on the floor.

These are shots of the "N" Scale model

This is the T Scale Model

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
Re: Potomac Yards T Scale layout
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 10:57:12 PM »
This makes me want to cry.  Pot Yard RIP.  (sniff, sniff)

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 11:02:18 PM »
The layout shows the three tracks of the CSX mainlines. The center track is wired with some type of auto reverse system that appears to uses magnets to reverse the train.

It's an optoelectronic system that comes as a standard accessory with a T Gauge starter track set. The throttle has a built-in reversing circuit with an optional time delay.

They also had what appeared to be an N Scale model showing the the first phase of the development. These models are laser cut and show each house as they plan to build it.

Those are really nice structures. The architect should consider selling them as kits!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 11:04:56 PM by David K. Smith »

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 11:30:48 PM »
Good old Pot Yard.  Must have passed it thousands of times to and from work at my various jobs both in and out of the navy over the years.  Glad I got a few photos before it went away.