Author Topic: Weekend Update 3/27/11  (Read 13420 times)

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
Re: Weekend Update 3/27/11
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2011, 07:13:11 PM »
Okay, so the results of my EZ Line experiment.  Using charcoal gray on the town poles leaves something to be desired...  While realistic, they disappear.

From what I see, there's no slack in the lines. Shouldn't there be a little slack? Or am I just not noticing it?
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2011, 07:17:12 PM »
From what I see, there's no slack in the lines. Shouldn't there be a little slack? Or am I just not noticing it?

You're on the money, real lines "droop".

Mark

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2011, 07:26:24 PM »
You're on the money, real lines "droop".

Power and telephone lines will curve. Telegraph lines along the ROW are usually almost dead straight.

Getting the lines to curve properly is a real challenge. The only way I've been able to do it is by using fine copper wire and shaping it. This, however, makes for big problems with layout maintenance. I think the advantages offered by the stretchy stuff outweigh the minor loss of realism.

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8552
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2011, 07:28:28 PM »
They are supposed to disappear!  When you focus on them, they are noticeable.  Looks great, don't change a thing - other than perhaps the pole between the two mainline tracks, as suggested.

Guys, there's no pole between the mains.  Those are sidings, hence the cinder ballast.

Those sidings end up here:

« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 07:32:11 PM by Dave Vollmer »

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2011, 07:29:49 PM »

That's what you sacrifice by using EZ-Line.  What you gain is they stretch to infinity without snapping the poles.  Moreover, I can spike the line off-camera and stretch it out of the way for a close-up.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2011, 07:33:33 PM »
Guys, there's no pole between the mains.  Those are sidings, hence the cinder ballast.

Our collective mistake. Apologies.

That said... it still looks a little awkward.

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2011, 08:11:54 PM »
This is said pole in context...  The main is the track with the gray ballast and the PC coach in the first shot.

EDIT:  The more I look at the pics, the more I think you're all correct on the green color.  It will make great catenary someday, but for now I think I'll be replacing the green with charcoal before my next magazine shoot.  I will have to order another spool from Berkshire Junction; I don't have enough to do the whole layout including Enola.

BUT, quick question...  Using it as abbreviated catenary (i.e., no graceful sagging suspender wire), you'd still have a problem on curves.  It would shoot straight between cat poles instead of arcing around following the track centerline.  I might be OK with that, but should I expect a few flaming bags of dog crap from you guys? ;D
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 08:48:51 PM by Dave Vollmer »

mcjaco

• Crew
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2011, 09:14:52 PM »
Went out to the Rockford train show and pickup up some rolling stock that was being blown out at $6 a pop.  A Intermountain flat, a Walthers Pulpwood flat, and a couple of Atlas box cars.

My parents bought me a new POS Canon A490 for my birthday this week, and I've been messing around with it today.  Not very fancy, but considering it's 5x more MPs than my last camera, I'll take it! 
~ Matt

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2011, 09:26:36 PM »
Using it as abbreviated catenary (i.e., no graceful sagging suspender wire), you'd still have a problem on curves.  It would shoot straight between cat poles instead of arcing around following the track centerline.  I might be OK with that, but should I expect a few flaming bags of dog crap from you guys? ;D

I would not have even considered using the rubber wire for cat. Perhaps for the associated power lines and other electrical shrubbery, but cat itself would almost certainly need to be rigid. Think of what might happen if the pantograph was raised under the rubber stuff?

Catt

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Boylerwerx
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2011, 09:39:29 PM »
I actually started this factory back in 2003 then realized I wouldn't have room for the whole thing.So this is a model of the building my former employer bought in 2003.(place I retired from in 08)

At this point the whole thing except for the Clever brick and 3 tab shingles is scratchbuilt.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

SAH

• Crew
  • Respect: +1259
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2011, 09:44:31 PM »
. . . . SAH and KB, very nice work. I have to confess that I get your railroads mixed up at times. If I am not mistaken do they both have the black fascia lightbox look? This style photographs very nicely it seems.

Best wishes, Dave

You have no idea of course but you'd never get Kevin and I mixed up were you to meet us.  ;D  We do live about 45 mins apart and I get to operate on his layout several times a year if things work out right.  Always lots of fun.  I also used his lighting system as the base design for mine.  I then modified it to meet the needs of a narrow sectional layout.  Very observant of you to make that connection. 

Steve

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2011, 09:56:16 PM »
I would not have even considered using the rubber wire for cat. Perhaps for the associated power lines and other electrical shrubbery, but cat itself would almost certainly need to be rigid. Think of what might happen if the pantograph was raised under the rubber stuff?

Your modeling clearly shows you have a stronger stomach than I...  I would rather run my pans a millimeter or two below the actual trolley wire than to attempt to re-rail a wreck underneath rigid N scale cat.

Note, too, that the Kato GG1 pantographs are not sprung at all.  There's no upward pressure exerted by the pan.

seusscaboose

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +190
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2011, 10:11:17 PM »
Got the staging yard half done, should be done tomorrow...  installed more switch machines, attend Steve King presentation at local NMRA Div. Mtg...

Should be testing the staging yard tomorrow night.

EP

"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook

skytop35

• Crew
  • Respect: +731
    • Skytop Models
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2011, 10:38:55 PM »
Love the Milwaukee stuff of course. Bill, another wonderful looking passenger car. Did this car run on the Hiawatha?Best wishes, Dave

Thanks Dave. The "Grove" series cars ran on the Pioneer Limited and other secondary trains.
Bill Denton

Skytopmodels.com

conrail98

• Crew
  • Respect: +40
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2011, 11:12:53 PM »
After talking with a few guys at some ops sessions recently, it was recommended to me to paint (or prime) the second level white to help in reflecting the under-level light for the first level so that's what I've been doing this past week/weekend. Here are some pics:

Hoping to start on backdrop cutting and be able to put some up this upcoming weekend,

Phil
- Phil