Author Topic: Weekend Update 3/13/11  (Read 8538 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

daniel_leavitt2000

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6444
  • Respect: +1427
Re: Weekend Update 3/13/11
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2011, 07:35:44 AM »
0
I am planning on capping the valve and using the regulator on the compressor to gage air pressure. From what I understand, anything over 20 PSi should work fine.
American eyes, American eyes
View the world from American eyes
Bury the past, rob us blind
And leave nothing behind

inkaneer

  • Guest
Re: Weekend Update 3/13/11
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2011, 09:20:06 AM »
0
I am planning on capping the valve and using the regulator on the compressor to gage air pressure. From what I understand, anything over 20 PSi should work fine.

Most definitely not a recommended practice.  Safety valves are there for a reason. 

JSL

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 439
  • Gender: Male
  • In the Heart Of BNSF Country
  • Respect: +4
    • In the Heart Of BNSF Country
Re: Weekend Update 3/13/11
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2011, 11:33:46 AM »
0
Not much work on the layout this weekend. Only spent a couple hours laying some track in the staging yard. I will hopefully have some pictures soon..

JSL

Mark5

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11877
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +942
Re: Weekend Update 3/13/11
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2011, 01:16:23 PM »
0
Almost nuttin this weekend. I picked up one of the IM ATSF stock cars with a view to making a "better" foob of an N&W stock car (vs the MTL foob) ...



But, when I got it, it seemed a bit longer than I expected - the scale rule says 42' over the body (vs 41' on the NYC based MTL model). In the end I had to ask myself why I was wasting time worrying about foobing N&W stock cars, as I can't even remember seeing any on the pokey. ::)

I think I may just dump them all! :P

Mark (easily distracted)


Bob Bufkin

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6397
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +44
Re: Weekend Update 3/13/11
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2011, 01:21:03 PM »
0
Mark

They definately had stock cars.  One of my Morning Sun books on the PRR has a photo of a train leaving Hagerstown and the car in front of the cabin car is an N&W stock car.  Can't remember which book is was.

Mark5

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11877
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +942
Re: Weekend Update 3/13/11
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2011, 02:00:29 PM »
0
Mark

They definately had stock cars.  One of my Morning Sun books on the PRR has a photo of a train leaving Hagerstown and the car in front of the cabin car is an N&W stock car.  Can't remember which book is was.

Bob, I know, I have plans and tons of data, just don't remember seeing them in coal country.

http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/norfolksouthern/full/NS2780.jpeg

They were single level:

http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/norfolksouthern/full/NS2774.jpeg

Mark


chessie system fan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1515
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1378
Re: Weekend Update 3/13/11
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2011, 04:18:41 PM »
0
I am planning on capping the valve and using the regulator on the compressor to gage air pressure. From what I understand, anything over 20 PSi should work fine.

Hmmm, yeah.  When you do that, could you videotape it so if the inevitable happens we can all watch the bang? ;D

On a more serious note, I've always thought 20psi--even 40--would be too low to have meaningful impact.  I purchased a 60psi safety valve, which is as high as I dare with my tank.  I wish I could go higher.   I live on the gulf coast with it's high humidity, so without any pressure, CR300 sorta turned into a foam.  I have yet to try casting with pressure.
Aaron Bearden

wm3798

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 16564
  • Gender: Male
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +7455
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Weekend Update 3/13/11
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2011, 11:31:19 PM »
0
Nudged the railroad ever closer to full operation today...  wired some more drops around the engine terminal, and got the turntable functional again for the first time since last January (2010!).  Next up, tying up the last few feeders under the staging yard so I can clear the aisles.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Robbman

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3007
  • Respect: +18
Re: Weekend Update 3/13/11
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2011, 11:57:29 PM »
0
Bob, I know, I have plans and tons of data, just don't remember seeing them in coal country.

http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/norfolksouthern/full/NS2780.jpeg

They were single level:

http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/norfolksouthern/full/NS2774.jpeg

Mark


They were definitely very rare by our eras of the 70s... I know in 1979 three former NKP cars were still rostered, two S2's and one S3... have to dig up earlier years.  If you saw one in the 70s... it more than likely hauling cut ties to Koppers in Salem for treatment (never have found any specifics as to why). 


Mark5

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11877
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +942
Re: Weekend Update 3/13/11
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2011, 04:47:30 PM »
0
I have an N&W Equipment Guide from January 1969 which lists 141 SK class still on the roster.

Aside from that, there will still 124 other stock cars still on the roster of various exNKP and exWAB classes, including 2 of the S8 class which the Atlas 50' car has been numbered to represent (though I still think that paint scheme is fantasy).

I'd like to get a 1975 guide, I guess its time to prod the society to reprint it again.

I don't specifically remember seeing any N&W stock cars, though I'm sure they were there east of Bluefield. But most of my train watching was in coal country, and it seems a stock car would stand out quite a bit in any consist.

Mark



Bob Bufkin

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6397
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +44
Re: Weekend Update 3/13/11
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2011, 05:42:24 PM »
0
Question is, what industries would still be using stock cars in you time frame.  Are there any packing houses, meat processing plants, farms or ranches that raise cattle, hogs, sheep during the summer and ship to other locals in the winter?  Of course, if it's not a coal branch but a mainline they could run a few now and then as warrants.  Another load is something no one usually things of, shipping poultry.  Also these stock cars were used to ship other things at times, lumber, bagged goods, etc. 

Robbman

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3007
  • Respect: +18
Re: Weekend Update 3/13/11
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2011, 06:48:25 PM »
0
I'd like to get a 1975 guide, I guess its time to prod the society to reprint it again.

Mark


I'll get you the info for the decade... they have all the equipment guides.  On my volunteer to-do list is scanning and compiling all the equipment guides... yay.

Zox

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1120
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2
    • Lord Zox's Home Page
Re: Weekend Update 3/13/11
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2011, 08:39:34 PM »
0


Dave, that stucco effect looks pretty much dead-on to me, and the windows aren't obviously "flat" even in the closeup. On the other hand, if you built up two or three coats of paint on those windows, that might be enough to provide all the "real" 3-D you need.

I'll be looking forward to more details in the promised thread... :)
Rob M., a.k.a. Zox
z o x @ v e r i z o n . n e t
http://lordzox.com/
It is said a Shaolin chef can wok through walls...

Dave Schneider

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2377
  • Respect: +51
Re: Weekend Update 3/13/11
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2011, 09:12:16 PM »
0
Dave, that stucco effect looks pretty much dead-on to me, and the windows aren't obviously "flat" even in the closeup. On the other hand, if you built up two or three coats of paint on those windows, that might be enough to provide all the "real" 3-D you need.

I'll be looking forward to more details in the promised thread... :)

Thanks Rob. This was my first attempt and I don't really know how I blundered into making it turn out. I am playing around with various acrylic gels/pastes and seeing what kind of textures I can get. This might be a good approach for your stonework. I was thinking about writing this technique up for an N Scale Railroading article....not sure how to approach this issue.

As for the windows, it occurs to me that doing the upper and lower units separately would give the needed edge in the middle. On the other hand, I can just take off my glasses and not see very well as an alternative.

Best wishes, Dave

If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.