Author Topic: Kato's Anti-Eastern Bias  (Read 11609 times)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7958
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Kato's Anti-Eastern Bias
« Reply #90 on: March 07, 2011, 03:39:08 PM »
Fire up the torches and break out the pitchforks for Scott!

Honestly though, like I said, I don't think Kato has an intended bias, I just think they're much lower-production (scope wise) than Atlas, and are structured in a more risk-averse model (not being as tightly aligned with pre-orders to determine production volumes as Atlas or the newer up and coming companies), and as a result don't have a culture that will embrace smaller, more varied runs of stuff.

They've done a much better job of geographically spreading things out lately, but it's not really a geographic issue when people are complaining about their "Western" bias, it's their "iconic" bias, and many of the things that most of us asshats want aren't really "iconic" as they are mundane. In that same vein, I keep hoping they'd some day discover the iconic nature of the Conrail SD40-2 and Horseshoe Curve, but any more, I don't really worry about it.

Lets face it, ATSF is a significantly more "iconic" railroad to more casual train fans than Conrail, PC or even PRR are (forget about B&O, Chessie, CSX, etc...).

The fact that they do any of the more mundane stuff is actually surprising and impressive, and I hope that they find success in it and it slowly makes them realize that we don't all just want "train sets", but being a Japanese company, change happens at a glacial pace.

I'm just glad we have the likes of Atlas, BLMA, FVM, ESM, Exactrail, Trainworx, and yes, even IM who are more in-tune with our approach to this stuff.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
« Reply #91 on: March 07, 2011, 03:43:24 PM »
I have concluded that North America is a secondary market to Kato. This can be the only explanation in my mind for 15 year intervals between product runs. The North American product offerings are a small fraction of what they make for their core market.

Fortunately we have other companies that do focus on North American stuff.

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #92 on: March 07, 2011, 03:51:35 PM »
Well said Ed.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

lashedup

• Crew
  • Respect: +108
    • Model 160
« Reply #93 on: March 07, 2011, 03:54:34 PM »
I have concluded that North America is a secondary market to Kato. This can be the only explanation in my mind for 15 year intervals between product runs. The North American product offerings are a small fraction of what they make for their core market.

Honestly - this.

Kato makes what sells. And probably what someone in Japan has a soft spot for as well. Otherwise the primary focus is the home market and wherever they can leverage the Yen best.

-j

Rossford Yard

• Crew
  • Respect: +144
« Reply #94 on: March 07, 2011, 03:58:21 PM »

Strangely, before this post, I always asked myself why Atlas had such a bias towards those little, fallen flag Eastern railroads!   :)

I mentioned earlier what the internet scuttlebutt was on Atlas and the East - guys there making what they wanted for the layout.  That said, its probably somewhat true....without big marketing staffs, each company may be not much different than we modelers who tend to think everyone wants what we want.....

So, Atlas hears from more Eastern guys, and Kato hears from more western guys, and it all balances out.  Granted, Atlas is more balanced paint scheme wise, but also we complain that this is all they do, with not a lot of new tooling in this recession. 

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #95 on: March 07, 2011, 04:24:21 PM »
Quite a range of opinions!  After reading a variety of posts here for about a month, there sure seems to be a lot of expectations about new models, certain paint schemes, and reasonable cost.  That equation is difficult to balance, but on balance, I would say we are in the golden era of n-scale RTR.  The only Kato locomotive I have owned ran like a Swiss watch, so I am quite willing to tolerate their choices of paint schemes.

Strangely, before this post, I always asked myself why Atlas had such a bias towards those little, fallen flag Eastern railroads!   :)

New guy submits reply, expecting a) everyone ignores his post or b) they carry out the forum-equivalent of a lynching.  Pressing the send button...

You just have to realize that that a number of these seriously talented and dedicated modelers are on rather strong meds... and that far more of them should be on strong meds and everything will fall into place......now if you'll excuse me it's time for my pills.....................I'm a wannabe.......... ;D
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

FrankCampagna

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #96 on: March 07, 2011, 04:47:43 PM »
Personally I think Kato delivering their PC passenger train on schedule is proof that they don't get eastern railroads. PC trains were never on schedule  ;D . Should have mine in a couple of days, and expect to be happy with it. First Kato items in more than a decade.

Frank
"Once I built a railroad, made it run......."

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1139
« Reply #97 on: March 07, 2011, 04:54:09 PM »
You just have to realize that that a number of these seriously talented and dedicated modelers are on rather strong meds... and that far more of them should be on strong meds and everything will fall into place......now if you'll excuse me it's time for my pills.....................I'm a wannabe.......... ;D

Hee, hee.  That explains sooo much.  Where do you get these pills in Canada?

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2894
« Reply #98 on: March 07, 2011, 05:46:22 PM »
Hee, hee.  That explains sooo much.  Where do you get these pills in Canada?

I don't know .. but I hear they are cheaper up there ;)

SebastianLee

• Crew
« Reply #99 on: March 07, 2011, 06:03:45 PM »
I don't know .. but I hear they are cheaper up there ;)
Yes, but they are bulk suppositories...

SebastianLee

• Crew
« Reply #100 on: March 07, 2011, 09:45:08 PM »

Wasn't that stated by Kato in some interview before? That American sales would only be X percentage of their total sales and they would not increase it beyond that percentage.  So inferring from that, if the core Japanese market is doing poorly we will see less and further apart production runs.

inkaneer

« Reply #101 on: March 08, 2011, 01:26:57 PM »
Do not think for one second that marketing decisions are always made based on logic and rational thinking.  We would like to think that and we tend to attribute decision making to people who know what they are doing.   But that is not always the case.  Most decisions are made by people who are far removed timewise from the hands on front lines.  I, myself, have worked for or have known people who let their own personal bias' rather than logic guide their decision making.  The Japanese business model is affected by the Japanese cultural experience and therefore subject to its own inherent problems. 

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #102 on: March 08, 2011, 02:56:53 PM »
Do not think for one second that marketing decisions are always made based on logic and rational thinking.  We would like to think that and we tend to attribute decision making to people who know what they are doing.   But that is not always the case.  Most decisions are made by people who are far removed timewise from the hands on front lines.  I, myself, have worked for or have known people who let their own personal bias' rather than logic guide their decision making.  The Japanese business model is affected by the Japanese cultural experience and therefore subject to its own inherent problems. 

There's a lot of truth in what you posted.

I think Kato tries to skim the cream off of the US market, where the US is the Atlas market, so in order to meet overhead obligations and sales projections, Atlas chooses to launch a much wider dispersal of products... Again to meet company income goals.  For them to release a locomotive in just ATSF, UP, BN and BNSF colors wouldn't allow them to make their nut.

m301

• Crew
    • When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
« Reply #103 on: March 08, 2011, 04:56:15 PM »
BTW, I just got an email from Pete Postel at BLW, and he agreed that Kato should make the C30-7A for Conrail, and hoped it would be in the next batch...

Marty
Drive carefully. It's not only cars that can be "recalled" by their maker.

Bsklarski

• Crew
  • Respect: +6
    • B&M Conn River Line
« Reply #104 on: March 08, 2011, 05:54:15 PM »
CORRECT C30-7As in N scale would make a few people I know VERY happy. My best friend said he would convert to N scale and buy about 24 of them, 6 four unit sets.
Brian Sklarski
Engineer, New England Central Railroad

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Boston-Maine-Conn-River-Line/173358446076160