Author Topic: photo diorama  (Read 1404 times)

railbuilderdave

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
photo diorama
« on: January 21, 2011, 11:24:23 AM »
Here are some photos of a photo diorama I built for a client.  I think I need to get one built for myself now.

Love to hear what you think.

Dave

============================

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
Re: photo diorama
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 02:27:12 PM »
Overall looks really good Dave!  A few thoughts:

- I like the way you've embedded the rocks in the hillsides
 - The boulders at the base of the hills look a bit uniform - might want to sprinkle in a few smaller 'fragment' types among them.
 - The S-curve in the track seems kinda sharp from a high angle, but looks OK from low angles.
 - You might want to consider adding some kind of static grass or Silflor-type weed clusters in the foreground side of the track
 - For the track, you might want to take off some of the ballast on the sides of the rails, and consider a dusting of a dark gray or brown to weather it.
 - I like the way you did the timber grade crossing.  You might want to consider adding a 'Stop' or 'RR crossing' sign.

Ed

railbuilderdave

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 03:29:53 PM »
Ed,
Thanks for the comments.  I was thinking I needed some other size rocks at the foot of the hill as well but I cut it short as the time I spent on this was far more then what I'm making for it.  I'm going to add a few more rocks as it seems to be a little to uniform (see it more in the photos then on the table).  I wanted to add static grass but I don't have time to build a applicator or the money to buy one right now.  You are right there is a lot of ballast on the side of the rails and I need to clean that up - thanks for pointing that out.  I may add some more dirt/ weathering to the rails but in real life the rust color that is added looks good.  For the road crossing I didn't add the sign as the road is a private access road and I didn't know if you need a crossing sign or not, do you?

Thanks,
Dave
============================

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5427
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 11:09:23 AM »
It's hard to focus on the module itself with all the back ground clutter in the picture.  See if you can find a more open bit of sky, or some generic forest for the surrounding.  You might try elevating your platform so you can shoot "past" stockade fence.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

JWMurrayJr

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 10:31:32 AM »

:)

I like it!