Author Topic: Island Model Works Kits  (Read 5094 times)

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
Re: Island Model Works Kits
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2011, 02:23:29 PM »
All the Fine-N-Scale models are proof that the process works when you start with a great master.

Absolutely. The resin casting process is so faithful that it will even reproduce fingerprints left on the master. It must be as clean and precise a build as possible; casting cannot possibly improve a bad master or hide any flaws. A secondary aspect, but one that's still important, is the mold: a lot of times people will make a mold that's too small and flimsy, which allows it to flex; this is an especially important factor for long objects with thin parts, like coaches and loco shells. A big beefy mold will yield better castings.

bigford

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2011, 12:58:36 PM »
my biggest gripe was the loss of details halfway down the shell
air bubbles and the nasty attitude from the seller about how
i should be happy that somebody is willing to make LIRR stuff at all

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2098
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2011, 05:11:34 PM »
my biggest gripe was the loss of details halfway down the shell
air bubbles and the nasty attitude from the seller about how
i should be happy that somebody is willing to make LIRR stuff at all

Actually he is a one man show doing the best he can . I never had a bad communication exchange with him . Without he doing what I am incapable of I would have very very few LIRR passenger cars , and no LIRR SW 1001's . I will be at peace and thankful with my glass half full .

Richie Dost

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2011, 09:08:10 PM »
In my opinion the kits are not a viable solution at this time. The castings are crude, to the point where some of my kits were missing basic details like steps. Resin shells don't fit the resin underframe. The "trucks"are simple metal lumps in the shape of a yoke. They are a complete joke and do not work at all.

Worse still is the two foot thick walls and poor proportions. For example, the Kawasaki bi level cars do not feature the inward taper along the bottom. Its almost impossible to file the shell correctly to add the taper.

Good to know as I had wanted some of the K cars...
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1