Author Topic: Weekend Update 5/1/11  (Read 8442 times)

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
Re: Weekend Update 5/1/11
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2011, 10:05:46 PM »

Last week I made a Z scale quatersawn oak desk for the Gorre ticket agent, per Dave Schneider's suggestion. Well, it's not really quatersawn oak, but it's a nice wooden desk all the same.

Hmmm.....I was thinking more along the lines of a working roll-top desk with all those tiny compartments and drawers, but this one is nice too.  :D

Seriously though, that looks great! It must be something like 1/8 by a 1/4 of an inch or so. Amazing. The lack of quartersawn oak grain detail really isn't that noticeable.

No modeling for me this week, as the forecast of rain was completely inaccurate, resulting in numerous household and yard tasks. On the plus side, now that those are out of the way I can guilt trip the wife into letting me putter in the garage.

Best wishes, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

lashedup

• Crew
  • Respect: +108
    • Model 160
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2011, 12:11:31 AM »
Awesome stuff everyone.

Caleb, nice to see you back in the saddle.

I just snapped a couple of photos of this just now as things are still wet. I'll see how everything looks in the morning and update the Franksville thread in the Engineering Report forum tomorrow with details on this project. But I got coal into the bins I built:

Arizona Rock and Mineral coal is nice stuff and looks great. I'm hoping the glue doesn't water things down too much when it dries. We'll see...

« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 09:37:25 PM by lashedup »

SecretWeapon

• Crew
  • Respect: +41
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2011, 10:26:45 AM »
Great shot Caleb!!!!!!!!!!
Mike

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2011, 10:43:22 AM »
Thank for all the well wishes . Doing just fine , though the first 3 days was a pain . I am to wear the sling for 3 weeks including bed . I wear it to bed , but not during the day as it causes more pain and inconvenience than without .

PNOLAN48 wrote " Hope it's not too bad, Richie. I've had arthroscopy done five times, three left, two right, and the recovery wasn't bad."

Pete N , you had 5 rotator cuff operations , and no bad pain ? They gave me 2 big doses of morphine when I left the hospital and
I still had a ton of pain . The Oxycondon only helps somewhat . Maybe that I had 2 , 6 month old rips of 3.8 and 1.8 CM's made mine more painful . Maybe I am a sissy Mary , but I usually deal with pain better than most I know .
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 10:46:01 AM by up1950s »

Richie Dost

Roger Holmes

• Crew
  • Respect: +580
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2011, 01:00:11 PM »
Richie--Everybody I have talked to says that Rotator Cuff repair is the worst.  Many sleepless nights sitting up in a recliner.

I had a total left hip replacement 6 years ago and they sent me home with a script for 12 Vicadin a day!  The most I took was four and after 2-3 days I was down to two at night and dumped the rest after 10 days.    Knees are supposed to be worse than hips but shoulders are the pits (pun intended).

Just take your pills, close your eyes and dream up the next great steam project!

I hope that you get some relief soon.

All the best,
Roger
Best regards,

Roger

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those who understand the binary system and those who don't.

48Fan

« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2011, 03:50:50 PM »
I tip my hat to you custom painters! The GP practically kicked my butt! Hope it looks good after putting it back together!

seusscaboose

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +190
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2011, 04:11:37 PM »

God that is sweet

i am reminded why I LOVE Weekend Update....   Caleb + this...   nice!!!!!!!!!!!

"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook

noblerot

• Crew
  • Southern Tier in N scale, NYSW Conrail LASB NJT
  • Respect: 0
    • Picassa Albums
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2011, 08:40:51 PM »
I tip my hat to you custom painters! The GP practically kicked my butt! Hope it looks good after putting it back together!

It looks good right there, nice job

Lashed up, those bins look really nice
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 08:47:17 PM by noblerot »
Alan Jannone
Shohola PA

Smike

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2011, 11:20:58 PM »
oohps, Richi I hope that doesn't hurt all too much...

this week I managed to finish this QNS&L SD70ACe...

...just to find out that the whole fan section is wrong. (my excuse is that there are not that many pictures out there showing this QNS&L engines and even less showing detail shots) the QNS&L ACes have some sort of a 'winterization hatch' arround the two big fans.  >:( :(

...and yes, these handrails look way too thick  :-\

All I can say is woooooowww... awesome work. Ok the handrails are too big now you have the rest added, but I bet that only looks off in photos and not to the naked eye as much.