Author Topic: Opinions. wise words? O scale 2 rail shelf layout  (Read 3416 times)

avel

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
    • Layout Album
Opinions. wise words? O scale 2 rail shelf layout
« on: January 19, 2011, 05:22:27 AM »
Ok here is the rough plan.
engine comes out of staging(holds 10 50' cars) and positions its cars on either track that is part of the run around. Each Runaround track is a little over 60", so 4 car lengths of 50' cars. And I mean enough space without sideswiping the cars on the parallel track. If the train is longer, some cars can be parked on the curve going to the left and down, well actually upgrade, with a mechanical brake (some wire poking up between the rails. Engine runs around train to be able to switch cars in and out of the two local industries. The tracks in the pavement would lead to the building that is off the layout not actually modeled. This track is long enough to hold two cars, but will probably only hold one at a time.
Engine switches cars at the foreground industry, which can hold 4 cars, but will most likely see only 2 at a time.
Anywho, then it can leave some cars and take the 1 or more cars uphill around the curve to the left.

That is all I really have as far as operation. I'm thinking about having the track at the far upper right be an interchange where I leave loaded/unloaded cars that are the opposite (unloaded/loaded) next time I run the railroad. That stub is primarily there so that an engine plus three cars can pull past the turnout and go up around the curve.

The track coming off the right and curving down for a continues run will be built at a later date, and no it won't be so curvy, I just got lazy with Anyrail. The liftout section is a last priority, won't be built for awhile. Most of the shelving has been up for 3 years now excluding the bulge on the lower right and the half circle extension above center. All shelving is... shelving and hung off the wall. The bulge is hung from the ceiling at four points at its farthest from the wall. The benchwork has been up for so long because of numerous reasons, a major one being that it is a lot easier to plan and dream than to actually build. Also switched from HO , N and finally 2 rail O.

It's true that car count wise I have a lot less, a total of seven cars plus an engine, but it feels like a lot more because of the size. Engine is an Atlas GP60 painted for the Southern Pacific and can pull all seven cars around the 24" R curve and up the 4% grade.
Track is old used Atlas/Roco flex track bought off Ebay. I think its code 148, some steel and some something else plated. A pain to file and cut compared to code 40. Bought two old switches but might not even use them, handlaying the rest. Hot gluing the track to the foam. Spiking the switches with staples cut to resemble spikes. Dipping spikes into glue then spiking. Ties are 3/16 x (3/16 or something else, I just lay them on edge so all are the same width, I can work around the height) basswood, with some balsa when I ran out of basswood. Turnouts are manual using some N scale switch throws or some kind of linkage scraped together from odds and ends.

While fleshing out the scenery I have thought of patching the SP engine for some fictitious shortline instead of UP. Maybe set it in the year 2020 ;) , with an urban, run down, industrial look. The highway overpass is a must have.

Layout height from the floor is 59.5" With the overpass and the buildings towering overhead and most all track being at 2" to 5.5" above that height, I think it will look really imposing.

Control is via RC, so no layout wiring to worry about except lighting.  Having said all that, this is my 3rd layout and the previous 2 where in N and simple loops. None progressed beyond beyond track laying and some basic scenery. So this layout will take awhile to complete and with school and work, even longer. Although HO has a great selection, and N fits a lot into a small space, I've never been this happy working on a model railroad. It's very easy to work with for me.

Hmm ok, so here is a picture of track I have laid so far, and the final(somewhat) plan. Track laying is held up until the switches are laid.
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/rQ1-Dp0xXs05BaACZIM7bg?feat=directlink

and the final(somewhat) plan. Track laying is held up until the switches are laid.
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/R2fO_Xsg9wRxKBeV3MdkdA?feat=directlink
I love this hobby.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 05:24:04 AM by avel »
iamaman27 on the youtubes

AlkemScaleModels

• Crew
  • Helps build strong models 8 ways
  • Respect: +39
    • Alkem Scale Models
Re: Opinions. wise words? O scale 2 rail shelf layout
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 12:05:07 AM »
Looks good. Please post some photos when you get a chance.

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
Re: Opinions. wise words? O scale 2 rail shelf layout
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 12:49:25 AM »
Layout height from the floor is 59.5" With the overpass and the buildings towering overhead and most all track being at 2" to 5.5" above that height

Hm, that's 3.5" which is only 14 scale feet in O scale.  Is that enough clearance for the staging level, esp. when accounting for track/roadbed/subroadbed thicknesses?