Author Topic: Life Like Proto N RS2  (Read 3252 times)

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: Life Like Proto N RS2
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2011, 02:11:29 PM »
I don't know that roller bearings vs. solid has much to do with the year the model was produced (unless you were talking just about the NH).  Wasn't it just an option?  CGW units built in '49 had solid bearings and WM units built in '50 had roller.

As for the stacks, I knew about the production change, but didn't almost all RS-2s get converted to water cooled (not all stacks got changed though)?

Jason

Mr. G

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2011, 03:22:42 PM »
My thought was that he'd have the influence to have the scheme done rather than a slag; plus the fact that MR does still make RTR a priority over "modeling" it yourself....

I think that certainly was true in the not-too-distant past, but there has been a slow push to return to teaching modeling skills.  Though I thought the last few issues were a bit thin, they weren't bad issues.
Quote from: TiVoPrince
Everything blends.  Just a general rule of model railroading...

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2011, 08:33:16 PM »
Dude, I think that was a bit uncalled for.

I don't think it's any secret that Wally and Kalmbach are in bed together. Product placement's an excellent way to sell models. There are a lot more RS2 paint jobs in need of doing. I can think of 3 CGW schemes that have never been done in N to start. And I'd buy them.

Bryan B.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2011, 09:49:44 PM »
I don't know that roller bearings vs. solid has much to do with the year the model was produced (unless you were talking just about the NH).  Wasn't it just an option?  CGW units built in '49 had solid bearings and WM units built in '50 had roller.

Jason

I believe it was an option.  New Haven opted for the roller bearings on the Alco road switchers.  On the RS-1 also if I remember correctly.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1242
    • Modutrak
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2011, 10:37:29 PM »
I don't think it's any secret that Wally and Kalmbach are in bed together. Product placement's an excellent way to sell models. There are a lot more RS2 paint jobs in need of doing. I can think of 3 CGW schemes that have never been done in N to start. And I'd buy them.

Bryan B.

3?

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2011, 11:57:01 PM »
3?

I assume that Bryon was just talking about LL/Walthers not the previous Kato units, but technically, yeah there are three schemes that haven't been done. 

There was at least one experimental scheme applied to #57 that was a maroon dip* with no LS herald but with "CHICAGO GREAT WESTERN" spelled out on the long hood in small letters.

*My shot is b/w but based on other experimental schemes of the era, it's a good guess.

Jason

sirenwerks

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2011, 10:05:36 AM »
W/o turning this into a CGW post, Jason's experimental scheme, which I had not counted, makes four. #51 appeared in all three schemes I was thinking about - two-color, maroon dip w/ logo, & red w/ black roof - I imagine (know) others appeared in each of the three schemes too. See CGW In Color pages 84, 95 & 86 for reference.

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2011, 10:34:07 AM »
W/o turning this into a CGW post, Jason's experimental scheme, which I had not counted, makes four. #51 appeared in all three schemes I was thinking about - two-color, maroon dip w/ logo, & red w/ black roof - I imagine (know) others appeared in each of the three schemes too. See CGW In Color pages 84, 95 & 86 for reference.

Right, I think Mike is refereing to the fact that Kato did two numbers in the as-delivered scheme.  The problem with the LL/Walthers models goes back to my question ealier in this thread.  The CGW had solid bearing trucks and all but one (I think) had the cross-wise water cooled stack sometime in the maroon dip scheme. Hopefully any future releases by Walthers will have this variation, otherwise the Kato model may be the better option.

Jason

sirenwerks

• Crew
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2011, 10:50:06 AM »
IF Kato ever announces its version during the remainder of my lifetime. And perhaps I should have been persnickety and made it clear I was referring to Wally and not Kato's releases, which are no longer available so pretty much defacto nonexistant.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 10:52:11 AM by sirenwerks »

DaveB

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2011, 11:10:42 AM »
IF Kato ever announces its version during the remainder of my lifetime. And perhaps I should have been persnickety and made it clear I was referring to Wally and not Kato's releases, which are no longer available so pretty much defacto nonexistant.

At the risk of becoming an accessory to thread hijacking after the fact, Brooklyn Locomotive Works says that it has the Kato CGW RS2 in 2 road #.