Author Topic: What project have you given up on?  (Read 4775 times)

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
Re: What project have you given up on?
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2011, 08:29:36 AM »
About one hundred projects involving wire...the electrical kind.....
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

mcjaco

• Crew
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2011, 09:38:38 AM »
I've got my Soo Line Lt. Mountain.  I still need some added details, and the correct trailing truck.  The dang thing runs like a top, but has not tractive power at all.  I'm convinced I can work it over, and get it to pull more than six cars, but I really dispise taking it part.  So it sits looking pretty, but that's about it.

I've got three HO SD70's in BNSF paint that are in all sorts of disrepair, because they needed new light bulbs.  They've been like that for ten years.  Then there's the BNSF patch job GP30 that's detailed and ready for paint, and the two additional Walther's GP15s that are waiting their transformation into California Northern units.  They've waited the longest, about 15 years.  I need to finish those, so Athearn will release that paint scheme shortly there after.   ::)
~ Matt

Rossford Yard

• Crew
  • Respect: +144
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2011, 09:57:35 AM »
I recall giving up on the Plastruct Oil Refinery kit, as being just too hard and paying someone to build it.  I have never started the Walthers Steel Mill just because it looks harder than the average kit.

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2011, 09:59:15 AM »
Guilford GP40-2LW: This started when I picked up an Athabasca Scale Models Canadian wide cab. After finishing the cab which never quite fit right, modifying a GP40 hood and walkways, and attempting to attach the cab to the shell, nothing squared up. The cab was meant for a wide body like a bachmann GP40 and would not fit on the atlas shell. I had to cut the frame under the can just to cat the cab seated but then there was nothing to glue it to. After months of working on the thing I took to the tool shop at work and put it out of its misery.. with a rubber mallet.

Daniel,
Funny you mention that engine style. It's my next project to do! Three of 'em. ;D

Jon

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4194
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2011, 10:05:52 AM »
I haven't given up on any, but I take a while to complete them because I have a number of them in progress.  Every once in a while, one gets completed.

Now that the basement remodeling is complete, having a set work area and a permanently-mounted spraybooth this coming spring will help loosen the logjam considerably.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2011, 10:52:37 AM »
Got one passenger car I built from sides of a PRR 70 ft rebuilt lounge coach.  Dont and painted but have put off decaling those thin stripes along the side for years.  It sits right alongside my computer to remind me to finish it.  Have tried and get frustrated (pissed really) on aligning those stripes properly.  Maybe oneday I'll finish it.

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2011, 11:02:08 AM »
I recall giving up on the Plastruct Oil Refinery kit, as being just too hard and paying someone to build it.  I have never started the Walthers Steel Mill just because it looks harder than the average kit.

LOL!

I'm considering giving up on the Plastruct Oil Refinery and I haven't even attempted to put one piece of it together yet!

Damn it's a hard looking kit.  :o

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2011, 11:50:06 AM »
In the past few weeks I finally "gave up" on my TRE layout.  :(  It got "evicted" from its space and I really had no alternative spot for it to live.   I didn't destroy it...it's sealed up in a mattress bag and stored at my dad's place.   But, it would take a strange sequence of events to see the light of day again.

However, I just bought foam for a more apartment friendly "foam and Unitrack R-T-R model railroader" layout just to be able to run trains.    Sometimes drastic measures are necessary.   ;)
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1527
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2011, 12:00:28 PM »
Daniel,
Funny you mention that engine style. It's my next project to do! Three of 'em. ;D

Jon

Sounds like we three need to start a thread - I have a 50% complete GP38-2LW that I tried to bash from the same cab as Dan on a Lifelike body.  Was going for the first wide cab loco bought by KCS in the early 1990's from CN.  Had the same Cab fit issues.  Maybe I need to buy the Bachman shell . . .
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

bigford

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2011, 01:41:54 PM »
"Island Model Works passenger cars: These have been sitting on my workbench for years. The walls are so thick its impossible to make them look right. And that underframe... uhhh. Don't get me started on the "trucks"

same boat as you DL  with the above two foot thick N scale windows
on my lirr passenger cars  ??? why cant somebody make a plastic
LIRR passenger car to go with LL' proto LIRR gp38's ???

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2011, 01:50:08 PM »
I have given up the best/worst projects of all....spending all my time planning and buying. I still do some of this but am trying to do more actual building.

Best wishes, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

cv_acr

• Crew
  • Respect: +127
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2011, 01:54:08 PM »
Sounds like we three need to start a thread - I have a 50% complete GP38-2LW that I tried to bash from the same cab as Dan on a Lifelike body.  Was going for the first wide cab loco bought by KCS in the early 1990's from CN.  Had the same Cab fit issues.  Maybe I need to buy the Bachman shell . . .

One of my first major kitbashing attempts was an CN GP38-2W in HO from an Athearn GP38-2. Made a number of errors, and ended up selling it to a guy I knew to do whatever he wants with it. (Not sure if he's done anything with the project.) Another project that is on the shelf is an Algoma Central GP38-2; which is probably still finishable if I ever get it off the shelf again.

I probably do have some other projects which have been technically abandoned, but like others I have several boxes of in-progress and unbuilt kits that I still do intend to finish, "some day"...

My finished projects list could be listed on the fingers of one hand at the moment...

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2011, 02:02:04 PM »
I've given up on trying to remember projects I've given up on.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2011, 02:04:07 PM »
I don't kwow that I've given up on anything yet, but I have relegatad a few projects to 5-10 years from now.  Things like finding info on Swift's 40' MR or a decent shot of a FDDM&S gondola. Doing a TR-2 is just makes that list.

But the biggest project is waiting for RP technology (resolution) to improve. I'd like print up a stable of WCF&N interurbans.  The backup plan is to do them in TT scale, but I'm going to hold out a bit longer.

Jason

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1527
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2011, 02:11:48 PM »
I've given up on trying to remember projects I've given up on.

Sounds like a great new years resolution to me!
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B