Author Topic: We have a winner!  (Read 2721 times)

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Las Piedras Railroad - Destination Desert
  • Respect: +2411
Re: We have a winner!
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2010, 03:07:47 PM »
Chuck,

I would second the caution regarding going code 80.  Sure it works, and it's cheap (especially if you have it on hand)...  From a distance IRL it's not offensive, but once you start seeing it in your own close-up photos, it's hard to like.  Take it from me.  I have both c55 and c80 on my layout, and I plan to go all c55 at some point.  The code 55 works just as well as code 80.

I have boxes of new 80 turnouts and flex track thats the problem Dave. I can't think of anyway around it, unless
a LHS locally might trade.
Chuck Geiger
provencountrypd@gmail.com

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2010, 03:11:58 PM »
I'd have to join the chorus on C 55. Everything about it is better, including the geometry, which I think shows in this C 55 version of the angled plan.

But, if you must go with C 80, I'd at least consider the suggestion to angle the plan.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 03:14:41 PM by David K. Smith »

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Las Piedras Railroad - Destination Desert
  • Respect: +2411
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2010, 03:19:21 PM »
I agree about the skyboard, and the yard extension.

That short track in El Centro is really only what, 6-8"? That's not much of a yard at all.

I think you're also going to find that that citrus packing siding is a bit tighter than you're going to be able to really accomplish.

Otherwise, the plan seems sound, but be ready for some shock when you actually try and scenic it.

Eddie u are right: it's very Southern California desert. This is what the area around the
depot looks like - sand and dirt.

Chuck Geiger
provencountrypd@gmail.com