Author Topic: Plaster Rocks  (Read 1381 times)

Gyroflyer

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Plaster Rocks
« on: December 18, 2010, 04:11:09 AM »
Ok, another goofy question. I'm getting close to starting my layout and was wondering if I could start making my plaster rocks now (via rubber molds) as a jump start? In the past, I've done this while the rocks still had moister in them but will having the rocks sitting a while be a bad idea?

Mark

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
Re: Plaster Rocks
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 07:34:58 AM »
Nothing wrong at all with making them in advance (although my personal preference is to cast them in place). I'd recommend the following:

Use lightweight Hydrocal. It's a bit stronger and harder than plaster.

Tint the material before casting. This prevents white flecks from appearing if chipped. You can use dry powdered tempera paint, acrylic paint in tubes, paint tinting dyes, almost anything.

Gyroflyer

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 07:56:33 PM »
Yes, I stand corrected. I am using Hydrocal. I love the idea of tinting. What would be a basic color to do this? I know that rock color varies in different parts of the region so obviously you don't want to tint it to a color you can't cover up.

Thanks again David.

Mark

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 07:58:56 PM »
I just tint to a light grey (using black tint) and then stain the rock to the desired color. If you know in advance that all of your rock will be warm or ruddy colored, then add some brown to the black tint, but the idea is to not achieve the final rock color, just a lighter shade of it; this allows you to create some depth with stains.

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +996
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 08:00:26 AM »
The Woodland Scenics stains penetrate deep enough that I don't know if tinting the hydrocal is worth it.  Your best bet is to make some test rocks to experiment with color, size, and shape.