Author Topic: Intermountain SD40-2W this month  (Read 19792 times)

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +583
    • My train pics
Re: Intermountain SD40-2W this month
« Reply #90 on: December 06, 2010, 12:05:31 PM »
Labour is cheaper than CNC machines in China, apparently.

I'm really pleased with the model in general. Yes, there are some aspects that need improvement, but the shell is much better than the TM's. I ran my pair briefly on Friday and they are not to Kato standards, but better than the TM's I have and the Athearn SD75I's. I imagine with some breaking in (likely tonight as the Unitrack roundy-round will be put into use) they'll run better.

I really have to commend IM for doing these, I mean would any other Mfg even attempt an SD40-2W in N? Atlas won't touch the GP40-2L in N, and it offers more roads than the SD40-2W, which still has only ever been operated by CN. Second hand purchasers to date have all been scrappers.

lock4244

• Crew
    • My train pics
« Reply #91 on: December 06, 2010, 08:53:11 PM »
My pair have been on the roundy-round for about an hour now... first being played with, then run. Now they're working a 24 car train mostly of IM cylindricals and a few other goodies. They run real nice, much better than my TM's. No slowing through curves, which was a real issue with me as it plagues all three of my TM's. The only complaint now it the handrails are a little too fragile (oops) and handling should be with kid gloves.

Nice job, IM, these are really nice models overall. Thanks for taking the risk!

FWIW, the kato mid-production SD40-2 chassis looks like it'll fit with only a little filing at the front and sides.

SirTainly

• Crew
  • Respect: +54
« Reply #92 on: December 09, 2010, 06:35:50 PM »
Mine has finally arrived at the LHS today.

SirTainly

• Crew
  • Respect: +54
« Reply #93 on: December 13, 2010, 01:54:28 PM »
Well I picked it up, but not happy despite some really nice details like the wipers - it had broken handrails (which are so loose anyway they have to be glued on) and jacking pads cracked and hanging off. Also the glued shell has caused the sill to banana so that the rear coupler it too high. :(
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 04:34:12 PM by SirTainly »

lock4244

• Crew
    • My train pics
« Reply #94 on: December 13, 2010, 04:08:49 PM »
I've broken the handrails on one unit, plus they fall off all the time when handled. I've one of two with the banana effect, though it's pretty muted and not effecting the coupler.