Author Topic: Z Buildings & More  (Read 5911 times)

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
Re: Z Buildings & More
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2010, 11:51:35 PM »
Also, is there a prefered laser kit that you would recommend? Having never done this type of kit, some must be better quality (such as fit) than others.

Most Z scale laser kits are of good quality. Robert Ray does an excellent job of kit design; he did most of the Micro-Trains kits as well as those from BAZ Models. StoneBridge Models kits are really nice, as are Paw of the Bear. FannoCreek kits are superb--their problem is there's not enough of them. Actually, it's easier to list the ones to avoid: Mountaineer Precision Products kits have problems (they've been discontinued). Animek Models kits are excellent, but only recommended for experienced modelers.

Gyroflyer

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2010, 03:52:12 AM »
Thank you once again David. Great information and advice from you all.

ztrack

• Crew
  • Working to drive Z to all new levels!
  • Respect: +229
    • Ztrack
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2010, 11:50:52 AM »
I am a big fan of the Luetke line of Z buildings. They don't get too much attention here in the US since they are based on European prototypes. But I think quite a few of the kits could be adapted for US layouts. Here are two photos of the brewery they offer. It is a big kit, but looks incredible! This is one I can see adapted as an 1800s factory on a US layout.

I stil have a lot to do, including adding small stacks to the brew house, weathering the kits, lights, and placing the brew kettles (shown in the top photo, right, in the bag). But I am very pleased with the results so far.

Rob
Z, turning N on it's side since 1972
www.ztrack.com
www.ztrackcenter.com
www.ztrackresale.com

Gyroflyer

• Crew
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2010, 07:08:25 PM »
Wow, nice Rob. I'm going to look up Luetke up but I want to have it here for others to know on the spot. What are these made of?

Thanks.

Mark

Gyroflyer

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2010, 07:14:32 PM »
Ok, I cheated and will now answer my own question. They're made of polystyrene. From what I see, they look good.

Mark

ztrack

• Crew
  • Working to drive Z to all new levels!
  • Respect: +229
    • Ztrack
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2010, 09:22:53 PM »
Here is closeup of one of the buildings.

I still have to weather it which will bring out a bit more of the detail. Yes, these are milled polystyrene. It is a great meterial to work with, but a bit soft so you have to be careful on your trimming and sanding. What I like about Luetke is that they use layers to buld the relief. In this instance, you have almost five layer. The first is the window glazing, followed by the windows, main walls and then the detailed stone work. The fifth layer is the drain pipe (okay reaching maybe on that one). But it does create a very detailed structure.

Below is another one I build. It is a wine reseller. Painted, weathered, and detailed. I love how this kit came out.

Rob
Z, turning N on it's side since 1972
www.ztrack.com
www.ztrackcenter.com
www.ztrackresale.com

Gyroflyer

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2010, 09:39:48 PM »
Beautiful job Rob. I'd buy wine from them.LOL!! Between this and David's factory, it's hard to tell they're Z scale. Very nice.

Thank you for sharing.

Mark

Pray59

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2010, 11:00:57 PM »
Yes, but I wouldn't count on seeing them as kits. Ray does some of that stuff just for himself.

I wish I could work faster and offer all the models I build as kits to everyone, but it just takes more time than I have. I have been working 6 days a week most of the year at my day job, recovering from the past few years of bad economy.

This weekend is the first full weekend I have had since April to work on my own models, and I spent working on my waterfront sawmill module, the one with the truss bridges. I did however release 9 different kits this year, so at least i'm contributing something to the scale. :P

JR59

• Crew
  • Respect: +16
    • Zscalegallery
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2010, 02:42:51 AM »
Rob (Ray), don't forget the most important part of your live, your Family.
with best Regards
Jürg

http://www.zscalegallery.com

Catt

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Boylerwerx
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2010, 09:50:03 AM »
When it comes to buildings my vote (a two way tie) goes to RS Laser & Stonebridge Models.I have a few of Rob Ray's cars and wish I could afford more of them. ;D
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

Alaska Railroader

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2010, 08:58:24 PM »
FannoCreek kits are superb--their problem is there's not enough of them.

David, wanted to update you all concerning your post. I am happy to announce that, as of yesterday, Stonebridge Models has acquired over a dozen files from Fannocreek Models and will produce them as fast as we can. You are right, they are superb. Our goal is to release 2 kits every month. This may be an unreasonable goal but it is the goal nonetheless. Most of these items the general z scale community has not seen. Besides structures in the mix are a couple of different rolling stock. The author of the drawings, Jason, has an expanding family and lasering has to take a several year hiatus for him now. Stay tuned...

Karin
www.stonebridgemodels.com

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2010, 09:19:10 PM »
David, wanted to update you all concerning your post. I am happy to announce that, as of yesterday, Stonebridge Models has acquired over a dozen files from Fannocreek Models and will produce them as fast as we can. You are right, they are superb. Our goal is to release 2 kits every month. This may be an unreasonable goal but it is the goal nonetheless. Most of these items the general z scale community has not seen. Besides structures in the mix are a couple of different rolling stock. The author of the drawings, Jason, has an expanding family and lasering has to take a several year hiatus for him now. Stay tuned...

Karin
www.stonebridgemodels.com

This is excellent news indeed! By the way, did Jason happen to include files for some T scale houses? I know he did a few, but I never got around to pestering him into selling them. I know a number of people who would welcome this addition as well, if it came to pass.

Gyroflyer

• Crew
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2010, 09:35:16 AM »
OMG, I just received my laser kit structures from MTL and I about fell over. This is literally the first time I’ve EVER seen any type of structures for Z scale up close and personal. I opened up the Freight House kit first and couldn’t believe how anything that small could be cut out from wood.

I thought hand laying thousands of rivets on my large R/C scale Huey helicopter was a task. This is going to be a serious experience for me. I’ve been modeling for nearly all my life and have never seen anything like this. I am very impressed with the detail that can be put into this size of model but I’m also very intimidated.

I ordered many back issues of Ztrack and have come across a few articles so far on building laser structures. Obviously, everybody has their own ways of building and painting but it doesn’t vary that much from one article to another, which is good.

I would recommend to any Z scaler to subscribe to Ztrack magazine (and get back issues if possible) and to join forums. There is a wealth of information out there and what I’ve learned so far with this forum has given me the confidence to push forward with this small but great hobby of Z scale.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 09:37:20 AM by Gyroflyer »

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +996
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2010, 09:58:38 AM »
OMG, I just received my laser kit structures from MTL and I about fell over. This is literally the first time I’ve EVER seen any type of structures for Z scale up close and personal. I opened up the Freight House kit first and couldn’t believe how anything that small could be cut out from wood.

Yes, they are very good and robust.  When they are built, the peel-and-stick portions hold up - even in a high humidity environment.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2010, 10:23:47 AM »
I've got some tips on building/bashing kits on my James River Branch website: http://jamesriverbranch.net/construction.htm

In particular, check out these projects, which are laser-cut wood (most of the rest are brass):

http://jamesriverbranch.net/project_13.htm

http://jamesriverbranch.net/project_24.htm
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 10:27:17 AM by David K. Smith »