Author Topic: Micro-Trains December Releases...  (Read 4141 times)

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1242
    • Modutrak
Re: Micro-Trains December Releases...
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2010, 08:07:02 AM »
Joe, why didn't you just give it a 4650 number instead of a 5161 number?

http://www.railcarphotos.com/PhotoDetails.php?PhotoID=23907

Did you see the ExactRail job opening for research and production art coordinator?  (Mid way down this page: http://www.exactrail.com/index.php/exactrail-blog )  The last line in qualifications is telling for this industry:  "6. Specific experience related to the Model Railroad industry is not required "  Companies like MTL and Exactrail and Intermountain seem to think that they don't need model railroaders to work in the art department.  But, you can compare artwork to photos all day long, and get it perfect from the photo, and still miss that the photo you're working off of isn't the closest prototype to your model if you don't at least have a passing interest in trains.

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +584
    • My train pics
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2010, 08:45:57 AM »
They probably don't want too many overweight single men wearing too many little RR pins on their unwashed vest roaming the offices.

asarge

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2010, 08:53:47 AM »
Not really anything for me this month...except for the DUKW's. The Smude oil depot looks interesting. Maybe make a good start for a small asphalt distribution business.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2010, 10:25:34 AM »
Joe,

I guess we can start asking about the 4427 next month? :P

(New 100 ton trucks?)

Mark

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2010, 10:41:30 AM »
Not really anything for me this month...except for the DUKW's. The Smude oil depot looks interesting. Maybe make a good start for a small asphalt distribution business.

I thought the tanks looked darn good on the oil depot.

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2010, 01:59:26 PM »
They probably don't want too many overweight single men wearing too many little RR pins on their unwashed vest roaming the offices.

LOL
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
  • Respect: +1102
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2010, 04:47:44 PM »
I'll check into it, but I don't do the car selection or what number gets on what unless there's an issue.  From the sounds of it, there are issues and I will check on what is in the que and see if I can head of any more of these.  Back to cutting

Thanks for the heads up.

Joe
MTL

Joe, why didn't you just give it a 4650 number instead of a 5161 number?

http://www.railcarphotos.com/PhotoDetails.php?PhotoID=23907
Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor!

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2010, 04:52:24 PM »
Yes you can!  may not say anything, but you can ask away.  I have all the parts done now, just some minor tweeking.  If I have some time tomorrow I'll get some shots posted for you all.  Nice looking car and should be popular.  We are planning doing road named cars and lease units in the release schedule so we can cover as many bases as possiblee.

Not yet on the 100 ton truck, but it is on my desk for design.  Working as fast as we can :)

Joe
MTl

Joe,

I guess we can start asking about the 4427 next month? :P

(New 100 ton trucks?)

Mark
Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor!

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8041
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2010, 05:13:35 PM »
Did you see the ExactRail job opening for research and production art coordinator?  (Mid way down this page: http://www.exactrail.com/index.php/exactrail-blog )  The last line in qualifications is telling for this industry:  "6. Specific experience related to the Model Railroad industry is not required "  Companies like MTL and Exactrail and Intermountain seem to think that they don't need model railroaders to work in the art department.  But, you can compare artwork to photos all day long, and get it perfect from the photo, and still miss that the photo you're working off of isn't the closest prototype to your model if you don't at least have a passing interest in trains.

It's thinking like that that got us the continued use of the wrong CR logo because "it was right on that one car". It's pretty obvious to anyone who knows this stuff that it was wrong, but if you don't have people who know looking, you get a bunch of missed sales.

93cram

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2010, 05:46:34 PM »
6. Specific experience related to the Model Railroad industry is not required "  Companies like MTL and Exactrail and Intermountain seem to think that they don't need model railroaders to work in the art department.

I agree with your comment generally, but my understanding here is that they don't require people to come from model railroad industry,
yet it doesn't say they don't want model railroaders  ;)
I dare to say that I belong to the latter category (mostly the armchair seated division  :-[ though) yet I've never worked in the model railroad
industry  ;D
FWIW, I'd suppose that ER want people to know that having worked for other manufacturers before isn't a pre-requisite, and that 'amateur' model
railroaders can apply for a position too  :)

That said, I don't know many model railroaders who know everything about what have rolled on rails between say 1920 and 2010, so I guess the
research manager position isn't the easiest one in the industry.
There are of course a lot of helpfull internet groups and historical societies out there, but may be asking them to help can bring problems
with competition intelligence  ???

Comparing with other hobbies (military modeling, etc...) the model railroading crowd is may be the most hard to satisfy, manufacturing wise.
The Panzer IV certainly knew a good number of versions (at least 5 or 6 I guess), but not many are going to discuss the opportunity of offering
the Ausf.J with a AA MG34 instead of a MG42  ;D
Model railroaders generally want the most common prototype to be made, which is perfectly understandable, whereas other modelers are less
concerned by such statistics, and sometimes even like 'rare birds' to be issued.

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2010, 05:52:42 PM »
I figure that they will eventually get around to doing PRR but what would also be nice is if they do the tuscan red Pullman cars (most sold to PRR at divestiture) that had solid tuscan red carbodies, gold Pullman lettering, black roof and no stripes.  I need these for my freelanced line, which will operate Pullmans in conjunction with N&W and PRR (via N&W).  These I figure I will have to paint for myself but it would be worth it.

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2010, 03:20:12 PM »
I believe Pennsy is next up... ;D

Joe
MTL

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2010, 04:40:28 PM »

Joe
MTL

Hopefully the printing is imitation gold and not metallic gold.

The other Pullmans really should be imitation gold as well, given that they have air conditioning.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8552
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2010, 07:02:49 PM »

Joe