Author Topic: BLW has moved  (Read 2136 times)

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
BLW has moved
« on: October 27, 2012, 12:17:11 AM »
 Our home page has moved to a faster server.
And we have also added a new url (address name).

http://brooklynlocomotiveworks.com

Our previous addresses should also be operating at 100% by the time you receive this newsletter.

http://buynscale.com
http://blwnscale.com 

Back in the "early" days, it didn't matter that much how a page was "named". So for example our web page for an Atlas 40' single door boxcar was named just that: "Atlas 40' single door boxcar.htm" According to the latest standards, it should not have capital letters, spaces, or special characters. So almost all pages have been "re-named". If you had a "favorite" page on your browser, while the "buynscale" or "blwnscale" part would work -- to make a long story short, the page you are looking for does not exist by that name any longer.
It has been a very long, and drawn out process of renaming every page. Our old computer ran on Windows XP, 32-bit. Our new computer is Windows 7, 64-bit. It was bad enough our old Adobe Dreamweaver would not operate on the new system ... when we imported the files, some lost their "links". So if you would "click" on a link to take you to a different page -- good luck.
Between the names being changed and the links being damaged, it meant most pages had to be manually updated and the links re-established. This has been a long and drawn out process ... and I am the first to admit that we still have some "missing pieces".
Please bear with us ... I am sending out this email so you will understand why we have been "dragging" just a bit of late. And also so you will understand why your "favorites" are not working. You will need to make new faves to replace the older ones that are no longer working. Until Google and other search engines completely rescan our web page--this will also likely be "down" for a while.
Any of the above 3 addresses will take you to our home page ... which is the best place to get started.

Richie Dost

MVW

• Crew
  • Respect: +350
Re: BLW has moved
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 12:43:04 AM »
Well, color me ignorant. I've been hangin' around here for a year or more, Richie, and I never realized you were associated with BLW ... one of my two favorite web stores.

Congrats on completing the upgrade.

Jim

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 12:57:46 AM »
Well, color me ignorant. I've been hangin' around here for a year or more, Richie, and I never realized you were associated with BLW ... one of my two favorite web stores.

Congrats on completing the upgrade.

Jim

It's a eMail I just got from them , just sharing the news . No association what-so-ever .

Richie Dost

MVW

• Crew
  • Respect: +350
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 11:06:41 AM »
OK. Color me stupid instead of ignorant.  :facepalm:

I didn't realize you had just copied-and-pasted.

Jim

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1139
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 01:16:52 PM »
You are not the only one, you just asked first!

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 03:11:54 PM »
I had no emails from Pete at BLW but late last week I saw the notice on their website and I also ran into several non-working links.  It'll get resolved soon, I'm sure.
. . . 42 . . .

pnolan48

• Crew
  • Respect: +136
    • N Scale Ships
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 08:55:05 PM »
Pete at BLW has been one of the best internet suppliers for a very long time now.

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 08:59:37 PM »
I just hope they are not affeted by the bad weather heading up the coast!!  I am confident their website will be just fine soon enough.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr