Author Topic: vehicle decals  (Read 1262 times)

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
vehicle decals
« on: November 26, 2010, 04:18:54 PM »
Hey everyone. After reading the UPS thread, it got me thinking about vehicle decals and what we need in N scale. I have been planning to have a custom order for some 1990's era vehicle decals for some time. Right now I have designed a coke set for athearns 28 pup trailers and cabs, a BFI set for GHQ and MMM trash trucks. And I would like to design a UPS GLOBAL logo for the old NJI trucks. Is anyone else interested?

What else should I add?

On a related note, I need someone who is good with PhotoShop. I found the right UPS lovo on a truck but I need to get rid of the perspective distortion.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +629
Re: vehicle decals
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 10:55:08 PM »
Daniel,
 How are you drawing them, in vector or bmp (jpeg) format? They really need to be in vector if you want to be able to scale them and not loose any detail. I will send you the UPS Global logo once I get it done. I don't think either Kadee or Microscale will touch the UPS or Coke logo's due to copyright issues. If you are looking at doing them with an Alps, Jpeg images will not turn out well at all.

I want to figure out a way to use the Alps to lay down a white backing layer, then stick the sheet in an Inkjet to finish the decals. Maintaining registration between the two printers would be next to impossible though.
Tony Hines

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 11:52:15 PM »
I have a guy (Helvetica Decals) that does wonders with primary color BMPs:

In addition to my Quaboag GP9, Quincy Bay SW1200, and St. Louis Station S4, he has produced a large number of graphics for my fire engines and GHQ Cat vehicles. I send him what I want in a high resolution, 4-5 color bitmap and he adjusts it to work with the Alps. The results are non-thatched images in the Alps primary colors. Its not a perfect solution (some colors are a few shades off), but it seems to produce the best quality.

James Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +290
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 05:00:16 AM »
Is Roland still doing work for you Dan - website looks like he has stopped production.  :'(
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 11:32:10 AM »
He has stopped design work. Since I supply him with the artwork, he still does it. I got my last sheet from him this past summer.