Author Topic: Athearn to make a UPS Box Van  (Read 12607 times)

cfritschle

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
    • N Scale Vehicle Association
Re: Athearn to make a UPS Box Van
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2010, 10:00:37 PM »
Maybe I missed it, but is there even one known example of a Ford box van with the bow tie logo and a URL/globe?  How about one with the new logo and URL/globe?  Why do manufacturers so often favor the obscure over the common?

-gfh

P.S. Happy Thanksgiving!  :D

Gary,

Since the Ford C in the photos that Richie posted is in a paint scheme that is more recent than the paint scheme Athearn is releasing, I think there is a high probability that there was at least one prototype UPS Ford C painted in the scheme that matches the Athearn model.  However, to be sure, why don't you asked Athearn if they have a photo of a Ford C in the bow tie and globe paint scheme.

Carter
Carter

N Scale Vehicle Association
"For the modeler and collector of 1:160 scale model vehicles and equipment"
http://nscalevehicles.org/

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +629
« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2010, 10:11:24 PM »
Here is an interesting blog about the UPS logo's through the years. The bowtie is later than I thought, starting in '61 according to this site.

Edit: Probably helps to post the link -

http://www.logoblog.org/ups-logo.php
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 10:09:28 AM by SkipGear »
Tony Hines

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2010, 10:07:05 AM »
Ok, I've now spent *way* too much time looking for this truck...   :-\  Here's a shot of an F700 in Athearn's scheme, from 2004.  It turns out this logo combination is quite common, so would be very plausible on a Ford C circa 2000.  Kudos to Athearn for bringing us UPS; I sent them a query if there was any chance we'd see their HO UPS trailer release in N.

-gfh

P.S. I'm going to think about something else for a while.  I feel like I've been hunting for Sasquatch after seeing dozens of photos like this.  ::)

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2010, 10:21:09 AM »
Kudos to Athearn for bringing us UPS; I sent them a query if there was any chance we'd see their HO UPS trailer release in N.
I'd be done for if they bring out the trailers!

P.S. I'm going to think about something else for a while.  I feel like I've been hunting for Sasquatch after seeing dozens of photos like this

Reminds me of some of the photos posted to the NERAIL Photo Archive...
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

One of One-Sixty

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2010, 02:18:32 PM »
That Kato Yard tractors fit the bill perfectly for a UPS switcher.

I know Model Power at one point did the 3rd UPS Shield, by Paul Rand in HO for foobies.  I am just glad they did not put the "I love Logiistics" slogan on the side.

Ok, I've now spent *way* too much time looking for this truck...   :-\  Here's a shot of an F700 in Athearn's scheme, from 2004.  It turns out this logo combination is quite common, so would be very plausible on a Ford C circa 2000.  Kudos to Athearn for bringing us UPS; I sent them a query if there was any chance we'd see their HO UPS trailer release in N.

-gfh

P.S. I'm going to think about something else for a while.  I feel like I've been hunting for Sasquatch after seeing dozens of photos like this.  ::)

I know there are small number of package cars of various series as well as Ford, Mack and International trucks that still needs to be patched over at my hub, if I remember when I go in on Monday I will take some pics for ya.

Here is a brief history of the UPS logo

UPS’s first logo was adopted around 1919, not long after UPS Founder Jim Casey merged his company with Evert McCabe's Motorcycle Delivery Company. It established the prominent shield that continues today. The original logo featured an eagle carrying a package with the words “SAFE, SWIFT, SURE” emblazoned on the side. Those qualities of reliable service endure today.

UPS’s second logo was unveiled in 1937 and included another mainstay of the company’s identity, which was “UPS” for United Parcel Service. By this time, the company had grown significantly and was providing delivery of merchandise for multiple retail department stores. Incorporated into the logo was the phrase, “THE DELIVERY SYSTEM FOR STORES OF QUALITY.”

Paul Rand, a renowned brand designer, created UPS’s third logo in 1961. Using a bow-tied package above the familiar shield to express the mission of the company, the logo simplified UPS’s identity. At that time, package delivery was UPS’s primary service offering.

To better symbolize UPS’s expansion from package delivery into a broader array of supply chain services UPS adopted its fourth logo in March 2003. The most visible change was the removal of the bow-tied package above the UPS shield. While preserving the company’s heritage, the current brandmark represents the evolution to synchronizing global commerce.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 02:27:39 PM by One of One-Sixty »
“My deeds must be my life. When I am gone, they will speak for me.”- Stephen Girard

Modeling a modern Pennsylvania Railroad 1996-Present

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +629
« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2010, 09:50:53 PM »
This what you are looking for in a decal?

I still need to find a good picture of the older 37-61 logo. All that I find are so small that I can't see the detail to draw them.
Tony Hines

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2010, 11:12:04 PM »
That's the logo I was looking for. Do you have a high res version of that  so I can send that along to Roland?
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

cfritschle

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
    • N Scale Vehicle Association
« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2010, 12:10:19 AM »
That's the logo I was looking for. Do you have a high res version of that  so I can send that along to Roland?

Daniel,

Why don't you just download the pdf file from the Athearn announcement, zoom in on the 1:50 scale artwork and get a screen shot?

Carter
Carter

N Scale Vehicle Association
"For the modeler and collector of 1:160 scale model vehicles and equipment"
http://nscalevehicles.org/

James Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +290
« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2010, 02:22:55 AM »
Or just buy a set from Tony, so he can recover some cost.... ?
James Costello
Espee into the 90's