Author Topic: Digitrax Zephyr  (Read 3122 times)

Rich Reinhart

Digitrax Zephyr
« on: November 20, 2010, 09:35:59 AM »
Due to the release of the new Zephyr Xtra system, my LHS blew out the remaining Zephyr systems for $135. I figured it was a great time to take the plunge. I figured this would be all I needed for my 7 by 7  L shaped N scale layout. Sound like a good deal to you all you guys in the know?

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2896
Re: Digitrax Zephyr
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 09:50:45 AM »
Yup .. considering ebay dealers are still selling them for 150+

TiVoPrince

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 07:15:02 PM »
Features
of the Zephyr Extra (especially the extra sound functions) have me thinking.  The DCS51 is certainly closer to the DCS100 and the $179.95US price has me poised to jump even though my need for the sound bells/whistles is not there right now.  I'm right on the edge since 20 locos / 127 turnouts / 3amps is enough for my HO dreams but I really don't want to risk eventual buyers remorse in not just getting the DCS100 in the first place...
Support fine modeling

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 07:13:38 PM »
I have a similar question. I'm thinking it's time to take the DCC system plunge (since I have a bunch of projects that are going to be needing it soon).

Will a Zephyr (old or new) be enough for me if:
I need to connect two or three additional walk around cabs via UP5s.
I need to operate the layout with about locomotives online and controllable at any time?

If the Zephyr won't do the job, what should I be looking at?

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2896
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 07:37:52 PM »
I have a similar question. I'm thinking it's time to take the DCC system plunge (since I have a bunch of projects that are going to be needing it soon).

I need to operate the layout with about locomotives online and controllable at any time?

I think most of these questions are best answered by Martin or someone in the club who has one .. but I don't think you could go wrong with one .. unless you are thinking of running a layout like mine - you should be able to handle 2-3 additional throttles

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 03:54:11 AM »
Ed,

The main limiting specs on the Zephyr (DCS50/51) is the max current rating (2.5A/3.0A) and the number of command stations slots available (10/20).  Otherwise it's just (mostly) like the larger Digitrax command stations (DB150/DCS100/DCS200). 

Stick it on a Loconet with a string of UP5's and/or UR91/UR92 radio/IR receivers and it will handle a good number of throttles.

Here is where the slot and current capacity come into play.

Power first:

You get X amount of amps to run everything powered off the track, whether it be locos, lighted passenger cars, turnouts, etc.  Add up what you want to run and if it's more than 2.5 or 3.0 amps then you have to look at something else or at getting an additional booster.

Slots:

The slot limitation means that you get X slots to control locos/consists.  Depending on your preferred method of consisting (assuming you run MU) depends on how many trains you can run at once.  If each train has one loco then it's a 1-to-1 ratio.  i.e. 10 slots means you can be controlling 10 locos at once.  More can be sitting on the tracks, but only 10 can be under someone's control.  If you consist using "Universal Consisting" then one slot is used for the consist and one additional slot for each loco in the consist.  So a 3 unit lashup will take 4 slots.  If you use the "Advanced Consisting" then everything is controlled by the CV19 setting in the decoders.  The consists acts as one unit to the command station and only takes one slot no matter how many units in the consist.  BTW, if you're unclear about DCC consisting then this is a good article to read  The Complete Guide to Consisting

Universal Consisting is somewhat easier to set up and use from your DT400 throttle since everything is kept track of in the command station and no decoder CV's need to be modified.  The drawback is that since it's all in the command station it's not transferable to other layouts and the fact that it uses n+1 command station slots.  Advanced Consisting will transfer to other layouts since it's all set up in the decoders of the each unit in the consist.  But it's harder to change on the fly - For example, if you had a local with two units, one on each end so that switching trailing/facing sidings are done by different locos.  Breaking and then re-making the consist to do the switching would probably get tedious.

I think the NCE PowerCab is also in the same class as the Zephyr, but I really don't know much about NCE products.  Lenz probably also has a small unit but again, I don't know much about them.

I would expect that either model of the Zephyr would work fine with your new shelf layout.  The new version especially should handle almost anything people would want, short of a huge layout or club setting.  When you think about it, 20 slots is a LOT of locos to be running, especially if Advanced Consisting works for your method of operations.  and if 3A of power isn't enough, then adding a booster is still cheaper than the next higher Digitrax starter set.

John H. Reinhardt
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 10:44:08 PM »
It sounds like the Zephyr Xtra is the ticket for me. Thanks guys!

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 10:56:02 AM »
It sounds like the Zephyr Xtra is the ticket for me. Thanks guys!

Ed,
Consider price versus need/future need. You can get a complete Super Chief with "whizbang" (wireless) for cheaper than buying a Zephyr, adding a booster, then adding a UR-XX, and more throttles. Eventually when you get that big Lee/John sized layout having to toss the Zephyr and move onto a DCSxxx (where's the peanut gallery?). I wish I went with the Chief + "whizbang" from the start. Yeah you can add the Zephyr to the Chief but only as a throttle.

The S.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 12:26:02 PM by sizemore »

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 11:55:22 AM »
Ed,
Consider price versus need/future need. You can get a complete Super Chief with "whizbang" (wireless) for cheaper than buying a Zephyr, adding a booster, then adding a UR-XX, and more throttles. Then eventually when you get that big Lee/John sized layout having to toss the Zephyr and move onto a DCSxxx (where's the peanut gallery?). I wish I went with the Chief + "whizbang" from the start. Yeah you can add the Zephyr to the Chief but only as a throttle.

The S.

This is why I went with Digitrax's "Super Empire Builder."  That decision weighed the present cost of the DCC system versus the need and cost for future upgrades.  I haven't had to add anything since I bought mine seven or eight years ago.  In fact, it's on its fourth layout, if you include The Peanut!  I don't have wireless, but my layouts have been no larger than a HCD to date, so that's a luxury for me at this point.  But, it's still an upgradeable option that doesn't require tossing out the existing command station, if I change my mind.

Whatever you choose, Ed, enjoy it.  DCC is fun, that is, until you let the smoke out.

Dave

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 12:11:33 PM »
Same here I bought big knowing that in the future I may need more, and I'd rather pay for it now and save some cash. I got the Empire Builder Radio way back in 1997-1998 and I am finding now that I need to add to it in the form of a DCS100, plus I am going to upgrade to Duplex radio.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 12:31:00 PM »
This is why I went with Digitrax's "Super Empire Builder."  That decision weighed the present cost of the DCC system versus the need and cost for future upgrades.  I haven't had to add anything since I bought mine seven or eight years ago.  In fact, it's on its fourth layout, if you include The Peanut!  I don't have wireless, but my layouts have been no larger than a HCD to date, so that's a luxury for me at this point.  But, it's still an upgradeable option that doesn't require tossing out the existing command station, if I change my mind.

Whatever you choose, Ed, enjoy it.  DCC is fun, that is, until you let the smoke out.

Dave

The only problem with the Empire Builder is that its a Booster, not a Command Station I forget which but you either lose programing, or features or both.

The S.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2010, 01:35:58 PM »
The only problem with the Empire Builder is that its a Booster, not a Command Station I forget which but you either lose programing, or features or both.

The S.

Hmm.  I guess you could say that I don't know what I'm missing.  ;)

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2010, 02:21:32 PM »

The S.

DB150's are Command/Booster, so you get both features, not like the DB200's which are boosters only.     With the DB150 you sacrifice slots and no CV read back to get both features.

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2010, 04:43:28 PM »
With the DB150 you sacrifice slots and no CV read back to get both features.

That was it. No CV readback. I wonder how that would work with JMRI? If I am understanding it correctly, you wouldnt be able get that back since it would need to communicate to the DB150 first before going to JMRI.

The S.

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2010, 12:56:32 AM »
That was it. No CV readback. I wonder how that would work with JMRI? If I am understanding it correctly, you wouldnt be able get that back since it would need to communicate to the DB150 first before going to JMRI.

The S.

Yes, you would only see the "default values".