Author Topic: Thanks Chuck, the Kato SD45's are NICE  (Read 2005 times)

oakcreekco

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Thanks Chuck, the Kato SD45's are NICE
« on: November 16, 2010, 04:20:24 PM »
Just got my SD45 Kato's from Chuck, and as usual, great service and pricing.

OK, I'm one of the lone "Western Fools" around here, and I've been wanting some SD45's for my DRGW fleet. These fit the bill nicely.

The paint and lettering is nice. Not quite at the level of Atlas, but close. Let's face it, DRGW paint is pretty simple......black with "Speed Lettering" and end stripes.

OK, I'll actually have to be a "modeler" for a few little things. The plow is color molded "orange". A little off from the paint, but a touch of weathering, and it'll be fine. DRGW plows, not to mention locos, were various shades of................well anything and verything.

One other thing that will make me be a modeler are the couplers. Long shank, too much spacing, but a very easy "fix".

Performance.......well "it runs like a Kato". Smooth as it should be.

Overall, a great model for the money, and I'll get some more and do a number change. List is $105..................cheap compared to a lot of locos on the market today.

Oh no............I'll have to model some more.
A "western modeler" that also runs NS.

Midniteflyer

• Crew
Re: Thanks Chuck, the Kato SD45's are NICE
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 04:39:22 PM »
Put that SD45 next to one of your other DRGW locos......... Kato totally messed up the Rio Grande on the longhood. Look at the "G", Not correct, Look at the Rio, it is too high above the Tail on the "G". Why would they not paint the plaw to match?

Not Kato's best work  !!!!!!!!!!!!
Black & Gold Rules !!!!!!!!!!!!

oakcreekco

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 05:01:05 PM »
I wouldn't say that they "totally messed up" on that. It's off a little compared to an Atlas, but not even really noticeable when lashed up and running.

I did forget to mention that there is no nose light. OMG...............I'll have to do a little more modeling.

This unit is comparable, IMO, to an Atlas "Classic", but at a lower cost. SD40 style DCC mechanism, no extra frills, and a $105 MSRP.

I've paid a LOT more for some "other" brands with far more "issues", and they ran like crap too.

Maybe not a "state of the art" new model, but a great updated "old model" at a very fair price point.

I can live with many of these ;D
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 05:02:51 PM by oakcreekco »

TiVoPrince

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 05:04:09 PM »
Are
the cab numberboards fixed or are they still 'squinty'...
Support fine modeling

oakcreekco

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 05:17:37 PM »
No. The "glass" looks good............not hiding back or anything like the old ones.

That being said, I've always liked my number boards better. It takes some modeling time, but I used to "fill in" the number boards, file them flat, then apply the background decal and numbers.

These boards are a lot nicer than the old ones. One could decal the background, and then add the numbers. A far easier task than the old style ones.

Everyone number boards that are lighted, are just a little "off" to me. The numbers just don't "pop" like the prototype's do.

I'm pleased with these, a nice improvement.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +170
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 05:35:36 PM »
Are
the cab numberboards fixed or are they still 'squinty'...

I would imagine they have the same issue as the long hood numberboards- too squinty. Well, at least Kato is consistent with this error (SD40/SD40-2/SD45). ;D

oakcreekco

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 05:46:15 PM »
What "issue". ??? The new boards aren't like the old ones. Both ends are now redone.

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +85
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 05:52:41 PM »
Others have stated that the tooling on the main body did not change, only the sills, hand rails and pilots to accept the new couplers. I don't have either to compare so pictures of each would be the only way to know for sure.
Tony Hines

Midniteflyer

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 06:25:07 PM »
Not noticable? It is totally the wrong font. The "G" is round not elongated. Look at it next to a IM Tunnelmotor! The Tunnelmotor is dead on as far as the font.
Black & Gold Rules !!!!!!!!!!!!

TiVoPrince

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 06:53:24 PM »
IMRC
did so much unapologetically wrong on the SP version tunnel motor its nice to know they got something right...
Support fine modeling

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Oh, it's an Owl!
  • Respect: +517
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 06:59:37 PM »
Not noticable? It is totally the wrong font. The "G" is round not elongated. Look at it next to a IM Tunnelmotor! The Tunnelmotor is dead on as far as the font.

And, unfortunately, it's not just the 'G'.  

Jason

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +37
    • Conrail's Portland Line
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 08:41:17 PM »
That sucks as I was looking at picking up one of the Rio Grande units. Eh maybe some good ole Rio Grande weathering will hide the font flaws...
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Mark5

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 08:52:33 PM »
What "issue". ??? The new boards aren't like the old ones. Both ends are now redone.

The issue becomes quite apparent when you try to put scale decals on the Kato numberboards ...

Too about about the Rio Grande font screwup - I really like that D&RGW paint scheme.

oakcreekco

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2010, 10:48:24 PM »

Well, I agree that IM's were "dead on" for something. Great lettering, and that's where it ended.

I can EASILY live with a little weathering, and a great running loco. With the IM tm's, I didn't even bother with the weathering. Sold all of those POS's ;D

As far as numberboards go, Atlas isn't any better for getting properly sized numbers in the board. Fill and decal those too.

I guess I must have hit a "sore spot" when I posted that I thought that these are nice locos for the money. For $105MSRP, I should be able to "shake the box" and a perfect engine fall out. No "modeling" needed. ;D

Mark5

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 07:30:41 AM »

As far as numberboards go, Atlas isn't any better for getting properly sized numbers in the board. Fill and decal those too.

The Atlas GP30 and GP35, which were tooled originally by Kato, also have the "squint".

The locos Atlas tooled up after the Kato split have scale sized numberboards (GP7, GP9, GP38, SD35, etc)

Mark
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 07:32:26 AM by NandW »