Author Topic: Weekend Update 11/7/10  (Read 6991 times)

Packer

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
Re: Weekend Update 11/7/10
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2010, 11:22:46 PM »
A little late for my update, but here goes:

Sold my beat-up 1990 mustang for $2000. (Rembemer the 1994 GT in good shape set my back $2850). So most of the money is going towards making the GT quicker  ;D (most of the 2k is gone already :()

But that doesn't mean I didn't splurge a little on train stuff at a train show in town.

I picked up a 57' SPFE reefer, a C&O (chessie) waffle box, a CR PS2 covered hopper, and an MKT PS4427 covered hopper. Most of the cars were in good shape, but the MKT is gonna need some work.

Also snagged a bunch of detail parts. Got a pair of Warren's Custom Services (never heard of them before, and can't find any info on the web) pilot buffer plates, DW firecracker antennaes, DA frame bells, an AMB window set for an athearn BB SD40-2, 2 A-line flatcar weights, and 2 sets of smokey valley GP9B conversion kits (the guy had no straight GP9s ones, but it'll give me a few extra stanchions)

I started on putting together the GP9 handrails tonight. I'm about halfway done with 1 set. It's my first time putting together brass handrails and soldering them. Frankly it's not as difficult as I thought it would be, just a bit time-consuming when trying to connect the pieces of supplied handrails (long hood ones are actually 2 seperate pieces). One thing I do wish I had was a smaller soldering iron, not the big weller iron like I have now, and a drill bit that would make a nicer for mounting them (73-74 would work, I've just been using an undersized one and using it as a file). I got bogged down in the begining tryng to file the nubs off the back so they'd fit my P2K GPs. A trip to lowes yieled a small pair of flush cutting pliers which speeded that process up alot.
Vincent

If N scale had good SD40-2s, C30-7s, U30Cs, SD45s, SD40s, and SW10s; I'd be in N scale.