Author Topic: Progress on The Shelf  (Read 13626 times)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
Progress on The Shelf
« on: October 21, 2010, 02:37:56 PM »
Well, we've discussed the passing of the kidney (at least into storage), so lets talk about why.

With styrofoam in hand, and my Laptop in the shop, I've been making progress on The Shelf layout. I had the end loops done before, but now I was able to close the gap between them.

Previously I had posted a mockup with the raw 2x4 sheets of styrofoam in place. Those had to get sized down to fit what I'm doing.

I started off by cutting down the sheets. I have a 4" wide "rear" piece that's the roadbed for the staging tracks. By not including this on the front pieces, it remains reusable when I decide to change out the scene on the front. In the photo below I've got it assembled with the cork on it already.

Then there's the 14" deep front piece which will be the visible scene. I'm currently working on finding a backdrop material to put in behind the the staging, to hide the "perky yellow" wall, and also to place a low piece between the staging and scene. Anyone know a good plastics place in Baltimore where I can scope out some of the options?

And here's what it looks like from the side, imagine, well, anything here. CR SD40-2s with a coal train, RF&P GP40s and the Juice, a PRR M1 with a general merchandise train (although, the M1s were too big for the NCR, from what I've heard), CSX GEVOs with a trash train...

Here's how it fits into the room. That's the Canton layout's benchwork in the foreground providing a really helpful work table.

This is where it intersects the end loop at the "south" end. I haven't decided quite how I'm going to make the two pieces blend together at the front. Ideas?

And this is for Dave and Ian:

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
Re: Progress on The Shelf
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 03:30:13 PM »
Looks good , and it also looks high , just how high is it Ed ?

Richie Dost

Roger Holmes

• Crew
  • Respect: +580
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 03:30:43 PM »
Ed--At least the passing of the kidney is far less painful than the passing of a kidney stone :o

While waiting for a suitable backdrop I would suggest a quick coat of sky blue.  It will do wonders in the interim and will be much easier to do before your layout gets too far along.  I am facing a huge project to remove a loop of G gauge track that runs 7 feet above the floor around my layout room (N scale at 4 feet-some Lionel at 2 feet) and is supported by big ugly brown metal shelf brackets that have to be photoshopped out of any pictures we submit.  I'll be leaning over a lot of finished layout to get to the damn thing, patch the screw holes from the brackets and then repaint the sky blue walls.  I wish I'd done it before I was this far along.

Anyway, have fun with the new layout.  There's nothing more invigorating than laying the first rails on a new layout.
Best regards,

Roger

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those who understand the binary system and those who don't.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 03:35:14 PM »

It's so high...

Actually, I haven't measured it, but here it is compared to my head.

I've actually thought about just painting the walls, but I don't want to deal with that, because if I did one wall, I'd have to do them all, and I think Terri likes the yellow for when we sell the house some day.

Also, the backdrop is going to be white, not blue, because, well, see the signature image.

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 03:40:22 PM »
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 03:46:24 PM »
Ahahahahaha.

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 03:51:28 PM »
I'm upset (not really  ;D ) that you didn't use my design for the supports.  If you did, you would have a nice way to attach a fascia.

But either way, this looks better than your multi-door attempt.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 03:54:14 PM »
I want my next layout that high, about 3-4" below my eye level. Last layouts were 6-7" below eye and I always squat down just a hair.

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 04:28:00 PM »
Two questions Ed... You do own a step stool, right? and... What's the signature image?
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

TrainCat2

• Crew
  • I'm here to take a beating from RailWire members.
  • Respect: +802
    • TrainCat Model Sales
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 04:30:16 PM »
It's so high...

Actually, I haven't measured it, but here it is compared to my head.

Aahhh . . . 4ft 6in ??  ;D
Regards
boB Knight

I Spell boB Backwards

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 04:41:05 PM »
I want my next layout that high, about 3-4" below my eye level. Last layouts were 6-7" below eye and I always squat down just a hair.

Same here. My last layout was a little lower, since the layout was much deeper and I needed to access the back. In retrospect, I would have placed it higher and used a stool for access. There's nothing like having eye-level views of a layout. Plus, the extra space below it allows a room to be used for other activities.

So, Ed, what did you do with all those doors you had all prepped for the Kidney Version 2?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 08:02:09 PM by David K. Smith »

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 04:47:00 PM »
Two questions Ed... You do own a step stool, right? and... What's the signature image?

Yep, not that I plan on needing it much (since most construction can be done with the panels removed). And the signature image is the one below this text, in my sig. I like the "white sky" effect.

Tom, the doors are still here, and will be worked on shortly, but this is a much quicker project to get running. Don't be hurt, I just went for the quick and cheap method. As far as a fascia goes, I'll probably go with flashing or something like that liquid nailed to the front of the styrofoam. Why overbuild?

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1242
    • Modutrak
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 04:50:26 PM »
Am I missing something or is this really just 2" foam on shelf brackets?

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 05:04:21 PM »
Nope Mike, that's what it is.

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44