Author Topic: Progress on The Shelf  (Read 10394 times)

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +31
Re: Progress on The Shelf
« Reply #75 on: October 28, 2010, 08:40:31 AM »
Jebus. Can't the man just build a layout?!

;D
The S.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +1337
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #76 on: October 28, 2010, 08:43:38 AM »
Squirrel,
You definitely have a point about how the prototype influences your ability to effectively model it.  I have a marked advantage in that my chosen road spends almost as much time in tunnels and on bridges as it does out in the open, so I can employ a lot more trickery to disguise the short distances between scenes.  While Ed's chosen terrain isn't too far from mine, it's significantly different, with broader valleys, longer straights and I think only one tunnel along the way.

Lee
Route of the Alpha Jets

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #77 on: October 28, 2010, 08:46:44 AM »
Squirrel,
You definitely have a point about how the prototype influences your ability to effectively model it.  I have a marked advantage in that my chosen road spends almost as much time in tunnels and on bridges as it does out in the open, so I can employ a lot more trickery to disguise the short distances between scenes.  While Ed's chosen terrain isn't too far from mine, it's significantly different, with broader valleys, longer straights and I think only one tunnel along the way.

Lee

A tunnel thats maybe 50ft long IIRC!

The S.

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Proactive advocate of truthiness
  • Respect: +138
    • Modutrak
« Reply #78 on: October 28, 2010, 09:07:22 AM »
Jebus. Can't the man just build a layout?!

;D
The S.

What fun would that be?   :D
Mike

www.modutrak.com
Better modeling through peer pressure...

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +111
« Reply #79 on: October 28, 2010, 09:30:10 AM »
The way I look at it, the amount of time, money and other resources invested in even a small layout is extensive... So why not incorporate what design elements you can instead of compromising?

If you can't use tunnels and hills to create separation, why not a scenic divider?  The N-scale RR recently built over the course of several issues of Model Railroader used one to full affect.  I use one on my layout.  

There's more than one way to create separation between scenes.

cv_acr

• Crew
  • Respect: +18
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
« Reply #80 on: October 28, 2010, 09:32:44 AM »
But isn't it nice when you can have your Kate, and Edith, too?

I'm not sure your wife would appreciate that...

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Has a degree in American History & Culture.
  • Respect: +2126
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #81 on: October 28, 2010, 10:10:24 AM »
Squirrel,

Lee

Exactly, AND, don't forget, the railroad that I'm modeling was ex-PRR, who's right of way standards were typically a good bit different from the WM's.

The PRR didn't really "cling" to mountains, it moved them. That makes it tough to justify tight curves, lots of tunnels, etc... You know, all the visual trickery we tend to use to add distance and scene separation.

I guess the original genesis of this plan, and the abandonment of the original "operational" NCR that I had started drawing up in the space was that I couldn't capture this look, while incorporating all of the operational necessities for the layout (decent enough representations of locations - a single lumber company doesn't make Timonium Timonium, enough staging, train length passing sidings, etc...).

So, instead, I've taken on an operations focused project that doesn't need huge passing sidings, etc..., and a scenic project that doesn't either.

I'm essentially doing the same thing you've done with the Casselman river valley Lee, it's just that my valley isn't connected to my city.

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +111
« Reply #82 on: October 28, 2010, 10:54:39 AM »
I would have liked to have seen what David K could have come up for you as far as a track plan goes Ed... With your list of wants and don't wants figured in of course.

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +150
« Reply #83 on: October 28, 2010, 01:21:53 PM »
The WM had standards?  ;D
Now seeking Pacific NW N scalers to create a Modutrak-style modular club featuring NP's shared mainline between Seattle and Portland. PM me if interested.

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +705
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #84 on: October 28, 2010, 03:59:30 PM »
With your list of wants and don't wants figured in of course.

Actually, based on the whole Christmas lights thing, I would like to see DKS' plan without Ed's wants and don't wants figured in. ;D

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +51
    • Conrail's Portland Line
« Reply #85 on: October 28, 2010, 04:08:28 PM »
Actually, based on the whole Christmas lights thing, I would like to see DKS' plan without Ed's wants and don't wants figured in. ;D

OH SNAP

I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +479
« Reply #86 on: October 28, 2010, 04:47:12 PM »
I am still waiting for the day where some enterprising person devises a way to use DCC to allow a set "schedule" of trains to be operated in and out of staging with only minimal input from the user, allowing you to stage and then watch an hour's or a day's worth of trains just like they go by a specific point on a main line without you having to run from one end to the other or round up a number of folks each time you want to run more than one train.

That day is here .. JMRI project will allow you to do just that with DCC .. will take some work and some detectors .. but its doable .

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Your choice for ANAL...
  • Respect: +1941
    • DKS Home
« Reply #87 on: October 29, 2010, 08:03:35 AM »

"Life's a piece of sh!t when you look at it."
                                       —Monty Python