Author Topic: Oh no! I'm Having THOSE Kinds of Thoughts Again!  (Read 74202 times)

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
Re: Oh no! I'm Having THOSE Kinds of Thoughts Again!
« Reply #345 on: November 04, 2011, 06:33:39 PM »
Dave, my pleasure. Be sure to refresh the page; I flipped the branch on the Ashland side to reflect reality a little better, after having checked out Google Maps.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #346 on: November 04, 2011, 08:16:58 PM »

I think I see what you see, assuming your looking at the sawed-off building on England Street and the obvious shrubbery growing in an arc away from the tracks to almost parallel that street.  As I looked closer, it started to appear as if there was actually a wye here at some point.

So, I googled "ashland rf&p wye" and came up with this website that confirms that a wye did in fact exist here to turn the Ashland Accommodation Train back towards Richmond: http://ashlandmuseum.org/explore-online/trains/after-1923/

Anyhow, your plan is more exact, but I wonder if it would be better to get the siding away from the table edge and use up some of that dead space in the middle of the plan for an industry of some sort (applying modeler's license to add ops opportunity).  I'm also considering moving the backdrop towards Ashland to accomplish two things.  First, there will be wasted space behind the row of buildings across the tracks from the table's edge.  Second, that real estate may be put to better use to try to squeeze in more of the wye in Doswell.

Ooh, brainstorm!  Stay tuned!

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

nscalemike

• Crew
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #347 on: November 04, 2011, 10:01:55 PM »
Well I can't figure out my own projects, so I'll throw something out to you instead.  Let me just say, I am not nearly as talented as David Smith, so it's not quite as pretty, but you get the idea.

I would move the backdrop closer to the Ashland side and have it at an angle.  You could get the depot in there, along with the road that runs behind it and put some town shops in.  I would then use those shops to hide a single staging track for the diamond in Doswell.  I did not put in the overpass, but I agree that it would help to hide the wye transition into the backdrop.  Maybe put a mirror at the stub track, then the crossing track enters the backdrop to stage a short train.  I have no idea where this is at, but looking at the maps it looks like both loop openings would just be trees, with the bulk of your focus in the center.  Also, by stretching the prototype and putting a curved turnout at the begining of the wye, you can move the crossing over a little bit and I think you could fit the depot there too. 

Here it is:

Good luck on your build!
Mike

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #348 on: November 04, 2011, 10:04:42 PM »
I like a lot of elements in DKS' plan, but I was lazy and didn't feel like gutting my plan yet to make it all work.  I'm also somewhat limited, because, again, Empire Express doesn't have a curved turnout in its catalog, which makes DKS' plan very difficult to copy on this software.  However, all I really wanted to see at this point was whether I could connect the wye and use the "siding"in Ashland for a disguised return loop.

Now, the layout can become an out-and-back when no one's looking, OR the wye could be used for loads-in/empties-out type of switching (Doswell to Ashland and vice versa).  The minimum radius was 11" to pull this off, but the prototype has a really sharp curve, too.  I'll also bury some of the wye in the weeds and heavily disguise it, so to minimize the spaghetti bowl look.

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #349 on: November 04, 2011, 10:13:34 PM »
Thanks, Mike!  I was thinking about using a curved turnout near the crossing, too, because that might help save space to get the trackage in Doswell to fit better.  Admittedly, it is going to be tight and at this rate, I will need to build at least three curved turnouts.  Oh well, at least the FastTracks investment I made several months ago won't be going to waste.

I agree about moving the backdrop towards Ashland, because more real estate is needed in Doswell.  By the way, in the real world, the streets in Ashland flank the railroad tracks with a one-way street going each way on each side of the tracks.  Talk about a great place to watch trains.

Thanks again,
Dave

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #350 on: November 05, 2011, 12:56:49 AM »

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #351 on: November 05, 2011, 07:35:24 AM »
Suh-weet!  It fits!  I can absolutely live with that plan.  It gets me close enough that I can tweak the design as I build it.  It may seem odd looking, but connecting that loop allows for a working C&O interchange with more car capacity.

Unfortunately, I realized last night that my Fast Tracks Templates are for Code 40 rail.  Other than the curved turnouts, I'm planning to use Atlas Code 55 track on this layout, so that I can get the track down and trains running quickly.  Hopefully, I can build the curved turnouts without having to buy another template.  Those things are expensive.  Since I can't really start construction of the layout until after the move, perhaps I can at least get started on the custom track pieces.

What's the radii of those turnouts?  Is that set to match Atlas' curved turnouts?

Thanks for your help,
Dave

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

M.C. Fujiwara

• Crew
  • I'm my own personal train-er.
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #352 on: November 05, 2011, 09:44:16 AM »
This should be a groovy layout to see come together.
You'll have a lot of fun using the scenic divider and using all sorts of tricks to disguise & "expand" the area of your layout & the distance between the two sides.

I think you mean your Fasttrack jigs (not templates) are for Code 40?
Do you really need the metal jig?
I just print out the template I need from their site onto cardstock, spray with adhesive, and then fix the pc board ties directly to the template:

That acts as the jig without the $100 price tag.
(You do have to be a little more careful placing the rails, but with your NMRA gauge buddy you'll get it in no time).

And this way allows you to do multiple-turnout fixtures easily:

Anyway, looking forward to seeing your progress.
M.C. Fujiwara
Silicon Valley Free-moN
http://sv-free-mon.org/

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #353 on: November 05, 2011, 12:23:26 PM »
I think you mean your Fasttrack jigs (not templates) are for Code 40?
Do you really need the metal jig?
I just print out the template I need from their site onto cardstock, spray with adhesive, and then fix the pc board ties directly to the template:

M.C.,

Oops, I did mean jig.  Sorry for any confusion.

Like Chris333's, your trackwork is nothing short of amazing.  I just don't know if I have the talent to be successful in building turnouts without the jigs.  They seem to provide me the third hand that I need while soldering.  That said, I do already have the tools and materials, so it can't hurt to try, right?  My real concern will be filing the points and the stock rails correctly.  If I were able to use my stock and point tools for Code 55 rail, that would alleviate most of my concerns.  I just don't have enough experience yet to be able to eyeball it the way you guys do.  But, practice makes perfect, so I'll likely give it a shot.  Besides, that will give me something to do until I can start the layout.

Thanks,
DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #354 on: November 05, 2011, 01:20:37 PM »
Mount the paper template to a piece of homasote (I have scads of scraps big enough) that allows you to use spikes to hold the rails as you solder.  It's been a long time since I've done one this way, but it works well.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #355 on: November 05, 2011, 04:36:22 PM »
Mount the paper template to a piece of homasote (I have scads of scraps big enough) that allows you to use spikes to hold the rails as you solder.  It's been a long time since I've done one this way, but it works well.

Lee

That's actually a really good idea.  Next time I'm down your way for an ops session, I'll steal one of those scraps from you.

On another note, I went digging into my toolbox and confirmed that my point and stockrail tools are useful for both Code 40 and 55, so these can thankfully be reused.  The jigs are Code 40 only, so I'll have to try M.C.'s way of building the turnout over a paper template.  If I had any Code 55 rail, I'd make an attempt this weekend.  Looks like I'll have to place an order with MBK for some track.

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #356 on: November 05, 2011, 04:51:47 PM »
So, Dave, how hard to I have to twist your arm to get you to start a blog for this project? I'll even help you get started...

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #357 on: November 05, 2011, 05:37:54 PM »
So, Dave, how hard to I have to twist your arm to get you to start a blog for this project? I'll even help you get started...

Gosh, I dunno.  I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' blogs.  ;)

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #358 on: November 05, 2011, 07:29:11 PM »
Gosh, I dunno.  I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' blogs.  ;)

It's about as hard as using Railwire. You post pics one place, text another, and tie 'em together as needed. That's about it. Sound doable?

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #359 on: November 05, 2011, 07:37:31 PM »
Don't place an order for rail.  I have enough shards and damaged flex c55 track to choke a horse.  Just have to figure out how to get it to you conveniently...  Maybe I can hire a courier stork that might already have your house on the manifest in the coming weeks...

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net