Author Topic: New ESM video - testing of the X58 design  (Read 5534 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Mark5

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11877
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +942
Re: New ESM video - testing of the X58 design
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2010, 11:07:50 AM »
0
I'll be in for this in PRR for sure - this should extend well into later eras where applicable, as I would suspect that a fair amount of these were still in PRR into the 80s (?)

Heh, there's a pic from 1993 on the bottom of this page:

http://crcyc.railfan.net/crrs/box/boxx58.html


Ian MacMillan

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12034
  • Gender: Male
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +167
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
Re: New ESM video - testing of the X58 design
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2010, 11:11:41 AM »
0
Love em love em love em!
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

bbussey

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9384
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +6189
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: New ESM video - testing of the X58 design
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2010, 02:29:39 PM »
0
You ever plan on doing any passenger cars in the future?  I know you did the NH sides years ago and was just wondering.

The NH sides as well as the P-S fluted 10-6 in a number of schemes, most of which still are available.  With MTL releasing heavyweights and Rapido eventually releasing N scale PBLWs, I will say probably not.  There has been one back-burner passenger project in conjunction with IMRC and DesPlaines that may get a push forward in 2011 and see the light of day eventually, but I would say at this point that freight equipment is going to be the ESM focus for at least the next three years.

Agreed. Look good so far... damn, more money out!

You have time, as the X58 debut is 14 months out.  But I will be promoting it over the next year to keep interest piqued.

I'll be in for this in PRR for sure - this should extend well into later eras where applicable, as I would suspect that a fair amount of these were still in PRR into the 80s (?)

Yes they were.  There will be a number of Pennsy variants issued, representing the prototype in all eras, so you won't have to kitbash the as-built cars that will open the series next December.  At least two Pennsy cars will be in every release.  Nineteen of them are on the schedule, and that doesn't count cars restenciled with successor road reporting marks.  Regardless of the year you model between 1965 and 2000 inclusive, you will be represented.

Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net
Bridgeport & New London in N scale


Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26109
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11602
    • Conrail 1285

wcfn100

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 8947
  • Respect: +1383
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: New ESM video - testing of the X58 design
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2010, 06:03:08 PM »
0
I'm assuming that some of the cars with the DF loaders were in assigned duty.  Does anyone know if there's a list?



Jason

DKS

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 13424
  • Respect: +7027
Re: New ESM video - testing of the X58 design
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2010, 06:16:21 PM »
0
Shameless plugs: http://thecrhs.org/modeling/news/Eastern-Seaboard-Models-testing-their-X58-Boxcars

You may want to know that the vid runs over half of the right column, as displayed in IE8 on Win7.

lock4244

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4586
  • Respect: +886
    • My train pics
Re: New ESM video - testing of the X58 design
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2010, 06:18:38 PM »
0
You have time, as the X58 debut is 14 months out.  But I will be promoting it over the next year to keep interest piqued.

Yeah, except there's this guy doing XIH boxcars in several CP schemes  ;)

wcfn100

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 8947
  • Respect: +1383
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: New ESM video - testing of the X58 design
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2010, 06:20:52 PM »
0
You may want to know that the vid runs over half of the right column, as displayed in IE8 on Win7.


What? The CRHS isn't HD ready.  :'(


Jason

bbussey

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9384
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +6189
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: New ESM video - testing of the X58 design
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2010, 06:50:46 PM »
0
Yeah, except there's this guy doing XIH boxcars in several CP schemes  ;)

Yeah, how can you stand that guy?  :P
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net
Bridgeport & New London in N scale


bbussey

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9384
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +6189
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: New ESM video - testing of the X58 design
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2010, 06:54:24 PM »
0
I'm assuming that some of the cars with the DF loaders were in assigned duty.  Does anyone know if there's a list?

While some of the cars overall were in assigned duty, I have not seen (yet) photos of any of the DFB-marked cars having an assigned duty stencil - although two of them have that stencil painted out.

Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net
Bridgeport & New London in N scale


wcfn100

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 8947
  • Respect: +1383
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: New ESM video - testing of the X58 design
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2010, 07:05:07 PM »
0
While some of the cars overall were in assigned duty, I have not seen (yet) photos of any of the DFB-marked cars having an assigned duty stencil - although two of them have that stencil painted out.



Yeah, it looks like by the 70's the DF and LD marked cars that may have been assigned somewhere had their stencils painted out.  But it seems clear that they were assigned at some point.

It also seems like some of these cars kept their running boards much later than I expected.

edit: most legible so far (and I still can't read it):

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/prr/prr113961awb.jpg

The picture was taken in Wisconsin on the CNW and the return stencil looks like both of those as well.


Jason
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 07:11:43 PM by wcfn100 »

Frank Amato

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1407
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +930
Re: New ESM video - testing of the X58 design
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2010, 07:50:44 PM »
0
Oh man, I know they're a ways away, but thanks for the update!  I can't wait to see the LV versions!

  Frank

71jeep

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 254
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +8
Re: New ESM video - testing of the X58 design
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2010, 08:18:12 PM »
0
OH yeh LV I am in for a few of those as well  :o


Allen...

bbussey

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9384
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +6189
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: New ESM video - testing of the X58 design
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2010, 11:08:48 PM »
0
Yeah, it looks like by the 70's the DF and LD marked cars that may have been assigned somewhere had their stencils painted out.  But it seems clear that they were assigned at some point.

It also seems like some of these cars kept their running boards much later than I expected.

edit: most legible so far (and I still can't read it):

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/prr/prr113961awb.jpg

The picture was taken in Wisconsin on the CNW and the return stencil looks like both of those as well

Agreed, lots of pics of PRR cars with painted out assignment lettering.

Some of the Penn Central cars carried assigned stencils as well.  As did some of the Lehigh Valley cars.  I don't recall coming across any Conrail cars that had assignment stenciling, and I've seen a ton of Conrail pics.

A sizable number of the cars that remained in PRR livery retained their roofwalks, surprisingly.  And it seems the majority of the cars at large never had their brake hardware lowered.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net
Bridgeport & New London in N scale


lock4244

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4586
  • Respect: +886
    • My train pics
Re: New ESM video - testing of the X58 design
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2010, 02:07:38 AM »
0

edit: most legible so far (and I still can't read it):

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/prr/prr113961awb.jpg

The picture was taken in Wisconsin on the CNW and the return stencil looks like both of those as well.


Jason

I think it says Green Bay, WI... seems to be five letters for the first, then three letters for the second words. I can't think of another WI location that matches 5 & 3.