Author Topic: TLT Newsprint Cars  (Read 9581 times)

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
Re: TLT Newsprint Cars
« Reply #75 on: October 03, 2010, 01:46:44 PM »
Of course, Robbman's right that the locking bar doesn't have 90 degree bends but I disagree with the idea of continuing the 'industry standard' of them being molded on. I've seen plenty of photos that you can tell they're not completely flush with the door and I applaud TLT for attempting the extra detail. I think, tipping my hat to Dave, that it might have been better executed as a super fine casting, that included the torquing bars that meet the door in the center, in a sturdy yet paintable plastic (Delrin, ala MT?). I too believe IM's grabs and ladders are oversized, but they could change that if they wanted or a 3rd party could help out with a product specifically for those models. Trainworx's ladders and grabs on their gons are pretty spectacular and are an exemplar of what can be done by a manufacturer with hutzpah.

I believe the industry standard should be such details, along with car doors, running boards, ladders, grabs, step plates, tack boards, and brake rigging (on car ends, most importantly) as separate castings. Doors get changed out constantly and are often fully open or ajar, running boards got removed permanently not to mention altered often, tack boards get moved around, and ladders get shortened. And ladders, grabs, and brake rigging just present as toyish when they're cast on. It would be a boon to modelers who wish to make each car a unique model to be able to easily alter these details. I'd even like to see door guides as separate castings as well, as you can often see their 3d-ness in photos with harsh lighting. I think that may be a detail better suited for etching though, and I can live without it more than the locking bars.

I understand the fragility issue, but it gives me the willies when people (have to) handle rolling stock on the layout as much as they do, no matter how much work it takes to keep track inline and cars from wobbling. I also know that's an extreme opinion, but it's mine.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 01:52:38 PM by sirenwerks »
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #76 on: October 03, 2010, 02:03:43 PM »
David - you don't sound harsh, rather you have expressed a measured approach. I agree on the Intermountain comment but when I have expressed I have met severe rebukes because " what do you want; molded on" seems to be the only other answer.

If Intermountain can bee sen as the "current standard" ie; medium point7, then guys like Craig are leading. As we suggesting that everyone will and must be at the highest level to be acceptable ? If so then let's get out the big bats and swing away at Atlas and Kato for molded grabs and mu's on loco's - how dare they....

TLT's product meets the medium point - ride height notwithstanding; it's way to high. It's their first offering 7(second release) Let them grow.

Let's offer constructive commentary - in a constructive manner like you did. Offer help like Tim Horton did and let's see where they go. They will learn that some HO techniques don't translate well; some charactoristics are more important thab others and most importantly; to consider price point vs quality ( and stop hedging a potentially weaker lonnie)

Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #77 on: October 03, 2010, 03:04:14 PM »
It's a shame that oversized add-ons detract from some of the car's merits--like the fine rivet detail.

For me the the biggest eyesores overall (aside from the frightening off-roader ride height) are the ladders--worse than the much-debated door rods. And I have to wonder... why not etch the ladders instead of mold them? They could then be much finer than they are now. It wouldn't be a complex etch either, and it wouldn't change the number of parts or the assembly process.

Has me wondering if some of the door details might be better if etched as well. Heck, why not etch the stirrups while they're at it...
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 03:05:51 PM by David K. Smith »

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3528
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #78 on: October 03, 2010, 03:33:36 PM »
If you want more criticism, the YSD on the TLT car is missing the upper center linkage...

The upper crank arm on the plug door is a 1980s addition to all boxcars with plug doors for additional security with respect to staying closed.  The presence of the additional crank arm was indicated by a black, red and white decal lower down on the door.  As this is a later modification, I am glad that it was left off as it is easy to add with some brass wire if desired.

I suspect that the ride height is a direct result of the decision to go with Micro-Trains trucks and couplers.  Several years ago the inclusion of Micro-Trains trucks and couplers was a selling point for some manufacturers who had not developed their own trucks and couplers.  For a significant portion of hte market, this is fine with them.  For the fine scale modellers, we have seen a recent trend towards adopting other trucks and couplers, aiming for a lower ride height, and including etched details.  Like other changes in N Scale, these new trends will take some time to be adopted by other manufacturers.  I believe I read somewhere that the forthcoming grain hopper from Micro-Trains would be their first car with body mount couplers and etched details, so there you go.

Puddington's comments are perfectly stated - this is a re-release of a model with corrected tooling by a manufacturer fairly new to the art of engineering and tooling their own freight cars, at a time when there is considerable upheaval in the Chinese manufacturing community.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

screeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #79 on: October 04, 2010, 09:20:43 PM »
Hi folks,

First-ever post after lurking for most of this year...

I've been in touch with True Line Trains regarding replacement shells for the first run of newsprint cars, and received the following response from Mark Kaluza:

"Thanks for the question regarding the TrueLine n scale NSC newsprint car replacement shell ‘program’.  We have received a VERY limited quantity of these shells based on those that have requested them.  Here is the scoop:  the shells are $6.87 each, with a flat shipping fee of $5.00 dollars.  Contact me directly at mark@hobbycraft.com  and I’ll be more than happy to process you request!"

Hope this is helpful to others who have been awaiting replacements.

Cheers,

Stu

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2896
« Reply #80 on: October 04, 2010, 09:34:08 PM »
Hi folks,

First-ever post after lurking for most of this year...

Stu

welcome Stu .. enjoy your time here

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #81 on: October 06, 2010, 08:19:47 AM »
It's a shame that oversized add-ons detract from some of the car's merits--like the fine rivet detail.

For me the the biggest eyesores overall (aside from the frightening off-roader ride height) are the ladders--worse than the much-debated door rods. And I have to wonder... why not etch the ladders instead of mold them? They could then be much finer than they are now. It wouldn't be a complex etch either, and it wouldn't change the number of parts or the assembly process.

Has me wondering if some of the door details might be better if etched as well. Heck, why not etch the stirrups while they're at it...

One additional caveat to point out - each free-standing separate detail component such as the door rods increases the labor time, which affects the MSRP.  If every possible detail was made free-standing, $30+ models will become the norm rather than the exception.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +584
    • My train pics
« Reply #82 on: October 06, 2010, 12:35:57 PM »
I never saw the shells as a big enough problem to care. Plus, it's an added cost and I have 39 of them from the first run. What I love about IM is that you get separately applied grabs for a decent (street) price, anything else can be applied by the modeler. A $30 car street price to cover the extra added details is excessive, plus it will hurt sales of detail parts at BLMA. Does anyone here want that?

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #83 on: October 06, 2010, 12:36:29 PM »
FWIW, MBK has posted these on the site today.

lock4244

• Crew
    • My train pics
« Reply #84 on: October 06, 2010, 06:25:29 PM »
FWIW, MBK has posted these on the site today.

One of each number... slim pickin's.

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #85 on: October 06, 2010, 08:14:28 PM »
One of each number... slim pickin's.

Most likely a test order to see how they do. They went up around noon and yes now it is slim pickin's, so hopefully a larger order goes in because I need CP and CV and my finance department hasn't given the approval yet!
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

lock4244

• Crew
    • My train pics
« Reply #86 on: October 06, 2010, 10:54:05 PM »
Ian, my philosophy... buy now, think later.

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #87 on: October 07, 2010, 12:02:16 AM »
Ian, my philosophy... buy now, think later.

I dont like sleeping on the couch
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

lock4244

• Crew
    • My train pics
« Reply #88 on: October 07, 2010, 12:28:27 AM »
I dont like sleeping on the couch

If you sleep on the floor, she will pity you... and you shall carry the day  ;)