Author Topic: Overcoming Itl. Sellers Not Willing To Ship To US  (Read 4978 times)

One of One-Sixty

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
Overcoming Itl. Sellers Not Willing To Ship To US
« on: September 26, 2010, 05:14:25 PM »
I am on "The Bay" Germany and UK a lot to buy Herpa vehicles, as well as building from Kibri, Vollmer, Faller and the such.  More often than not I come across sellers not willing to ship to the US, which is understandable due to the headaches involved with international shipping.  I also noticed that a lot of German sellers only sell within Germany.

There was one auction I recently won and the seller said they shipped all over the world including North America but when it came time for them to send the invoice.  The seller told me that he can not sell me the auction because I am in the US, but he does ship to Mexico and Canada.  Luckily, I have a friend that lives in British Columbia, and had the item shipped there.

My question is what do you guys do to get your sought after items.
“My deeds must be my life. When I am gone, they will speak for me.”- Stephen Girard

Modeling a modern Pennsylvania Railroad 1996-Present

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
Re: Overcoming Itl. Sellers Not Willing To Ship To US
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 05:58:07 PM »
I get a lot from Plaza Japan's ebay page.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4249
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 05:58:35 PM »
You have to find a railroad buddy outside of the States that is willing to re-ship the goods to you after you have your winnings shipped to them.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1250
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 06:12:23 PM »
Its funny. I buy about 50% of my stuff from outside the US. My sub-hobby is model vehicles and the ones from Japan and Europe are much better and heaper than anything for sale in the US. For example, I bought the first Maruka construction set (the one with the wheel loader and excavator) for $60 shipped. That included all 12 models... a great bargan.

I have a short list of places I do business with. All ship to the US for relativley little.
Plaza Japan on eBay for new item in original packaging.
7toys7 on eBay this seller breaks down the collection series of vehicles to individual models.
1999.co.jp/eng is a Japenese hobby shop with a full online storefront in English. The shop has higher prices than Plaza Japan but has many old stock and hard to get items.
DM_Toys is a German hobby shop specializing in European N scale vehicles. They speak English, ship to the US and have many items that are hard to find or discontinued.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

TrainCat2

• Crew
  • I'm here to take a beating from RailWire members.
  • Respect: +802
    • TrainCat Model Sales
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 09:17:45 PM »
I get a lot from Plaza Japan's ebay page.
Funny, I have sent two questions to the guy and he has never replied.

Regards
boB Knight

I Spell boB Backwards

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5441
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 09:24:51 PM »
Despite all the rigamarole, we're still the world's largest economy, at least until China takes over...  If they want to shut off that market, then that's their problem, I dare say...

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

wes_sutton

• Crew
  • Respect: +450
    • http://www.users.bigpond.com/grms
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 09:50:56 PM »
Despite all the rigamarole, we're still the world's largest economy, at least until China takes over...  If they want to shut off that market, then that's their problem, I dare say...

Lee
I think you'll find it goes both ways. For example, BLW have missed out on a lot of my business over the years because they won't ship international. A lot of US Ebay sellers won't ship O/S either.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5441
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 10:05:18 PM »
True dat.  My listings typically don't provide for overseas shipments.  It really is a pain... and an expensive pain at that.

One time I got a sale from a guy down under who begged me to ship the item, and he bid it to an outrageous amount.  He agreed to pay whatever shipping was involved, so I knuckled under.  When it got there, he bitched that it wasn't what he thought it was, and threatened to nuke me with bad feedback.  (It was a Trix passenger car in Amtrak paint.  The photo was clear as day, I have no idea what he was expecting).  Anyway, I ended up refunding the purchase price, and eating the shipping charge... SOB cost me about $45.  He offered to send the car back, but knowing I could never recover the loss, I told him to shove keep it.

So, never again shipping overseas.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +584
    • My train pics
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 10:44:04 PM »
I think you'll find it goes both ways. For example, BLW have missed out on a lot of my business over the years because they won't ship international. A lot of US Ebay sellers won't ship O/S either.

BLW won't even ship to Canada, which although technically international, is easier to ship to than an other coutry from the US. As a great mind once mused, we're America Jr, yet they will not ship here at this time  >:(

One of One-Sixty

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 12:34:41 AM »
Its funny. I buy about 50% of my stuff from outside the US. My sub-hobby is model vehicles and the ones from Japan and Europe are much better and heaper than anything for sale in the US. For example, I bought the first Maruka construction set (the one with the wheel loader and excavator) for $60 shipped. That included all 12 models... a great bargan.

I have a short list of places I do business with. All ship to the US for relativley little.
Plaza Japan on eBay for new item in original packaging.
7toys7 on eBay this seller breaks down the collection series of vehicles to individual models.
1999.co.jp/eng is a Japenese hobby shop with a full online storefront in English. The shop has higher prices than Plaza Japan but has many old stock and hard to get items.
DM_Toys is a German hobby shop specializing in European N scale vehicles. They speak English, ship to the US and have many items that are hard to find or discontinued.
I buy all my JP prototype as well as other Kato, Micro Ace, Tomix, and Green Max from Plaza Japan, 1999.co.jp aka Hobby Search and Hit Japan.

I will check out DM_Toys though, it is good to have another source for my German models.

Funny, I have sent two questions to the guy and he has never replied.

I have never had a problem with Plaza Japan, I make sure not to buy anything the week preceding or proceeding any Japanese holidays.  I have 4 more sets of Katos Tram on order with them.
“My deeds must be my life. When I am gone, they will speak for me.”- Stephen Girard

Modeling a modern Pennsylvania Railroad 1996-Present

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +461
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 04:03:17 AM »
Plaza Japan is one of my favs, and one of the only ones where I can get the Kato shorty B chassis on a regular basis.

Being an american in Germany, I have already had a few friends contact me about being a Half way re-shipper because of bad E-bay auction descriptions on shipping. I really don't mid doing it as long as the asking part is willing to pay for the shipping.
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

kiwi_al

• Crew
  • Respect: +361
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 05:49:13 AM »
Well I have the opposite problem Americans on ebay won't sell outside the USA and I'm cash rich right now!!!.
I just figure hey it's the sellers loss and go buy stuff from Chuck!!! ;D ;D

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 06:23:04 AM »
If it's something I really want, I will contact the seller first, and politely attempt to negotiate a deal. Usually an offer for a little extra money from a buyer will make a seller more cooperative. On the rare occasion I fail, I'll have the item shipped to a friend overseas. I think that happened once, IIRC.

Oh, and I've also dealt frequently with Plaza Japan. No problems whatsoever--a highly recommended seller in my book.

James Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +294
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2010, 06:28:46 AM »
Well I have the opposite problem Americans on ebay won't sell outside the USA and I'm cash rich right now!!!.
I just figure hey it's the sellers loss and go buy stuff from Chuck!!! ;D ;D

Good problem to have eh bro?
Almost as big a problem is the ones that do ship outside the US but want to charge a small fortune to ship.

David's suggestion does work too, but I only try it on if I want it real bad.
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2897
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2010, 07:27:46 AM »
True dat.  My listings typically don't provide for overseas shipments.  It really is a pain... and an expensive pain at that.

How so .. stick it in the box, weigh it, and fill out the little customs form ..

International Priority Mail Flat rate Box up to 4 lbs is $13 ... and you can do it all online .. even the customs form .. mail man will even pick up at the door ..  good grief ...