Author Topic: Walthers / LifeLike GP20's are back.  (Read 2937 times)

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +629
Walthers / LifeLike GP20's are back.
« on: September 19, 2010, 04:33:51 PM »
We got the flier for these Friday. They are on the website if you search for them, no official announcement on the site yet.

http://www.walthers.com/exec/search?category=&scale=N&manu=&item=&keywords=gp20&words=restrict&instock=Q&split=30&Submit=Search
Tony Hines

FrankCampagna

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Re: Walthers / LifeLike GP20's are back.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 05:14:58 PM »
Only one number in PC. Back in the early '70's there were a bunch of them stationed in Kingston working the locals and the Wallkill Valley and Catskill mountain branch runs.

Frank
"Once I built a railroad, made it run......."

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 05:47:16 PM »
Are they still $15 ?

Hyperion

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 06:04:35 PM »
Are they still $15 ?

No, they redesigned the jewel-case so they're now $150.
-Mark

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 06:07:15 PM »
Only one number in PC. Back in the early '70's there were a bunch of them stationed in Kingston working the locals and the Wallkill Valley and Catskill mountain branch runs.

Frank

That's from the old run Frank.

I wish one of the new NYC's wasn't the same road number as they used in previous run, where it appeared in PC garb.

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 06:09:24 PM »
Are they still $15 ?

Walther's said that this run will be discontinued after it's been completed– probably to avoid having to price excess stock at super low prices in order to move out inventory. 

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 08:37:50 PM »
Or maybe it will be discontinued before this run because we all still have 6 or 8 of them on our workbenches... ;)

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 09:05:33 PM »
Or maybe it will be discontinued before this run because we all still have 6 or 8 of them on our workbenches... ;)

Lee

I like my two PC's.

Their flanges are a little deeper and they make a little more noise on my code 55, but they're respectable runners.

I see per the announcement that the flanges on the new run are smaller.

I would guess that they are going to use the same decoder as what's used on the RS2's.

Mr. G

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 01:47:41 AM »
I picked up a few of these undec. NIB on the 'Bay about 6-8 months ago.  I didn't pay more than $40 shipped for each one and I think I got at least one of them for about $20 plus shipping.  They're nice models.
Quote from: TiVoPrince
Everything blends.  Just a general rule of model railroading...

FloridaBoy

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 05:46:10 AM »
I love those geeps!!!!  A few years back, Model Expo down here in SoFla offered these via mailorder for $16 plus shipping, and if you visited the store, you could have them for the same price sans freight.  They started out with 750 of them but thanks to word getting out they dwindled down quite quickly and I got a few myself, which I still have.  BTW they still look and run great!!!!

Then a famous well used mail order house acquired some and offered these for $20, and while still advertised in stock, a new shipment came in and I can remember the same loco being listed twice for $20 and $59.95.  Take your pick. 

The forums were filled with what to do with the mechanisms and a lot of guys made their reps showing how the various shells both production and aftermarket would adapt to these great mechanisms.  They feature split metal frame, 5 pole skew wound motors, dual brass flywheels, all wheel pickup and all wheels geared, and a very quiet and smooth action throughout a range of power. 

I always figured geep fans now had the N scale world in their hands, with Atlas's GP7/9 and torpedo, and Lifelike/Walthers GP18 and 20. 

I am glad to see these coming out, and I even suspect that PC will be making a comeback to style since Kato is making an E unit in PC and now Walthers GP20 in PC.  Just love that flat black.

Ken "FloridaBoy" Willaman

FrankCampagna

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 03:26:21 PM »
So, we have the return of the RS-2 and GP-20, in new schemes and numbers. I wonder if these are the two "new" locomotives mentioned previously. I would be surprised it there is two releases. I will point out that Atlas has not released a new locomotive in a long time. There still is more than three months for announcements, however, and Walthers does appear to be picking up momentum.

Frank
"Once I built a railroad, made it run......."

Mr. G

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 04:01:50 PM »
So, we have the return of the RS-2 and GP-20, in new schemes and numbers. I wonder if these are the two "new" locomotives mentioned previously. I would be surprised it there is two releases. I will point out that Atlas has not released a new locomotive in a long time. There still is more than three months for announcements, however, and Walthers does appear to be picking up momentum.

Frank

This is picking up momentum?  I'd hate to see full stop.  I really hope you're speculation is wrong about these being the two new releases, but I'm not betting the farm on this one. 

Yes, Atlas has simply been recycling locomotives lately, but I was very happy to see the SD9s return.  I'm hoping both Walthers and Atlas are holding out so they have something to wow us with at iHobby. 
Quote from: TiVoPrince
Everything blends.  Just a general rule of model railroading...

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 05:36:00 PM »
I remember picking up a couple of cases of the UP ones @$14.99 ea. from that toy store liquidator in Florida years ago.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 06:55:22 PM »
I got one of the $15 ones in UP a while back as well. I just found it but in my process of repainting it years ago I seem to have lost the cab and walkways.  ::)
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 07:01:27 PM »
I got one of the $15 ones in UP a while back as well. I just found it but in my process of repainting it years ago I seem to have lost the cab and walkways.  ::)

If you need one of each, I may be able to cobble one up for you...let me know and I'll check.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA