Author Topic: TOFC availablity  (Read 3494 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

One of One-Sixty

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1304
  • Respect: +3
TOFC availablity
« on: September 19, 2010, 10:15:53 AM »
0
I remember a few years ago that there was some TOFC and Spine cars made in N, but do not remember who made these.  Do anybody knows who made them?  I already checked Atlas, Kato and Athearn, but alas no luck.  Also when did the spine cars first enter service?
“My deeds must be my life. When I am gone, they will speak for me.”- Stephen Girard

Modeling a modern Pennsylvania Railroad 1996-Present

SkipGear

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2431
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +647
Re: TOFC availablity
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 10:22:36 AM »
0
You're looking in the wrong places.

89' Flats - MTL, ConCor, Comming from BLMA soon
Spines - Coming from BLMA

If you want to build, N Scale Kits has quite a few unique cars in pewter kit form.
Tony Hines

Ian MacMillan

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12034
  • Gender: Male
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +167
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
Re: TOFC availablity
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 11:05:13 AM »
0
Alan Curtis Models, don't know if they are still run under that name though.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

Catt

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1721
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +28
    • Boylerwerx
Re: TOFC availablity
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 11:33:34 AM »
0
Quote
Alan Curtis Models, don't know if they are still run under that name though.

N scale kits in merry old England now make the Alan Curtis kits.
The link is link is here. http://www.nscalekits.com/
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

djsmeltzer

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 28
  • Respect: +6
Re: TOFC availablity
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 12:04:09 PM »
0
You might be thinking about the Con-Cor fuel foilers from back in the late '80s.  They were rather crude and the set I was familiar with didn't run particularly well.

Here's one on eBay currently: http://cgi.ebay.com/Con-Cor-N-Fuel-Foiler-Cars-Matching-Piggyback-Trailer-/300467386285?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item45f54077ad


One of One-Sixty

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1304
  • Respect: +3
Re: TOFC availablity
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 09:06:31 PM »
0
Thanks, it was definitely the AC Models, but if Craig is coming out with some spines and flats I will wait.
“My deeds must be my life. When I am gone, they will speak for me.”- Stephen Girard

Modeling a modern Pennsylvania Railroad 1996-Present

Denver Road Doug

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2120
  • Respect: +29
    • Mockingbird Industrial
Re: TOFC availablity
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 09:52:45 AM »
0
Yes, wait is right.   We "waited" about 7 years for Deluxe Innovations to release spine cars that still aren't here, and now the BLMA version is 6 months behind schedule and counting.

I'm starting to think my idea to sell off all my unbuilt AC Models kits is unwise.
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

Philip H

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9028
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1796
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: TOFC availablity
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 10:34:30 AM »
0
well Craig's website does say "Late 2010" as the delivery date for the spine cars . . . not sure how far off schedule that would put him . . .
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.


tehachapifan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3478
  • Respect: +1160
Re: TOFC availablity
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 11:01:26 AM »
0
Yes, wait is right.   We "waited" about 7 years for Deluxe Innovations to release spine cars that still aren't here, and now the BLMA version is 6 months behind schedule and counting.

I'm starting to think my idea to sell off all my unbuilt AC Models kits is unwise.

Even with all the current announcements, N SCALE KITS still has the only offering on the market for a 48' all-purpose spine car.

Russ

Denver Road Doug

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2120
  • Respect: +29
    • Mockingbird Industrial
Re: TOFC availablity
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 11:06:05 AM »
0
well Craig's website does say "Late 2010" as the delivery date for the spine cars . . . not sure how far off schedule that would put him . . .

It was at one point Feb/March 2010 if I'm not mistaken.  It was June for a while also, then July/August.   I haven't looked to see what it says now.

I asked via FB in August and he said probably by the end of September then.  Thought I would easily have them here for my birthday tomorrow, but....not gonna happen.
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

Denver Road Doug

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2120
  • Respect: +29
    • Mockingbird Industrial
Re: TOFC availablity
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 11:10:58 AM »
0
Even with all the current announcements, N SCALE KITS still has the only offering on the market for a 48' all-purpose spine car.

That is true.  And those are the kits I have.  But I hate to spend the time and money to build/upgrade/paint/decal them if the 48's will be coming soon, which I gotta think they will.  The etched upgrade kits and hitch upgrades alone are well on the way to the cost of the BLMA spines.
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

tehachapifan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3478
  • Respect: +1160
Re: TOFC availablity
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 11:54:40 AM »
0
For me, it's all about the building, painting and detailing. In some ways, I wish there wasn't quite so much stuff coming available RTR. I enjoy building stuff for myself from scratch, kit or kitbash that is unique and not otherwise available. It's the challenge, I guess. For example, having recently built an SP SW1500 was more enjoyable to me than if I could have just purchased one off-the-shelf. Don't get me wrong, I WOULD still purchase one or three if they came out RTR! However, it would somehow be just a little less satisfying. Then there's the RTR releases that occur after you build something yourself. Your own scratchbuild or kitbash always looks great until you compare it to a RTR model! :-\ In my perfect world, the manufacturers would develop a cooperative list of things they will never make in a million years. ;D
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 12:06:46 PM by tehachapifan »

Denver Road Doug

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2120
  • Respect: +29
    • Mockingbird Industrial
Re: TOFC availablity
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 02:31:46 PM »
0
Don't get me wrong....I agree with you 100%.  I would love to be able to kit build, kit bash, or scratchbuild everything.  But alas, I have so many projects I want to do and little time to even get a small percentage of them done.   So yes RTR announcements effectively bash many projects in the head in my world.  (of late... Greenville 2-bays, spine cars, Walthers 4427's, BNSF Dash 9's, F59PH rebuild, et al)  As I've grown older I've started to develop a better sense for the "never in a million years" criteria so I think that combined with reluctance to start NEW projects means that eventually I'll get back above water.
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

asarge

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1675
  • Respect: +24
Re: TOFC availablity
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 05:23:29 PM »
0
Atlas did do a 2 axle spine car awhile ago....at least 10-12 years ago. I thought the BLMA cars were originally due in May/June.

Craig Martyn

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 496
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +6
    • BLMA Models
Re: TOFC availablity
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 03:45:07 AM »
0
I thought the BLMA cars were originally due in May/June.

They were.  Our factory is currently wrapping up production and we'll have models sometime in October.  Please note that hands down these are the most intricate N Scale models I have ever seen, and that has affected the production time-frame for these.  That said, they'll be worth the wait, and we appreciate your patience.

Craig Martyn
BLMA Models

www.BLMAmodels.com