Author Topic: SMD Signals Review on Geneva Sub Blog  (Read 2276 times)

rochsub

• Crew
  • Respect: +253
    • The N Scale UPRR Geneva Subdivision
SMD Signals Review on Geneva Sub Blog
« on: September 15, 2010, 07:10:25 PM »
Just a heads up on a short review on N Scale signals from Scale Models Division of Canada. I think there are quite a few modelers out there that are unaware of the availability of these models.
http://genevasub.blogspot.com

Daryl

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
Re: SMD Signals Review on Geneva Sub Blog
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 07:14:03 PM »
I have their triple target searchlight signals and I am very impressed with them.

I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 07:51:20 AM »
Had their website booked for a long time.  good looking stuff - I'll be interested to hesar how they run with your signal drivers.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 09:51:55 AM »
Had their website booked for a long time.  good looking stuff - I'll be interested to hesar how they run with your signal drivers.

For the Digitrax drivers its a snap. The only "difficult" part was testing the leads with a battery to find out which head they went to.

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +583
    • My train pics
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 10:19:42 AM »
Very nice stuff! But the price, given the quantity one might need, is pretty high per unit. Not saying that they aren't worth the money judging from the images, very elegant looking signals indeed, but this could get expensive quick. My current 0 route miles can remain dark, but someday when the need arises, it'll be a piecemeal implementation.

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 10:27:56 AM »
Yeah but the price is similar or slightly cheaper for similar companies. And until Craig whips up a triple target searchlight these are the only high quality way for me to go.

I do an interlocking at a time, so about 4 signals, about $205 US including shipping. It will take me a while as I have 10 intertlockings to do, but I am only signaling interlockings, the rest is cab signals (cheating!)

rochsub

• Crew
  • Respect: +253
    • The N Scale UPRR Geneva Subdivision
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 11:59:17 AM »
Yeah but the price is similar or slightly cheaper for similar companies. And until Craig whips up a triple target searchlight these are the only high quality way for me to go.

I do an interlocking at a time, so about 4 signals, about $205 US including shipping. It will take me a while as I have 10 intertlockings to do, but I am only signaling interlockings, the rest is cab signals (cheating!)

Do you have any reason to believe the signals from BLMA are going to be any cheaper?  I think these are in line with what I paid for the Sunrise signals 6 years ago adjusting for inflation.

Daryl

JSL

• Crew
  • In the Heart Of BNSF Country
  • Respect: +4
    • In the Heart Of BNSF Country
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 12:54:47 PM »
And Serge will ship them 2 or 3 or whatever you can afford a month until you have enough. Usually without paying upfront. He has shipped me a few things without paying anything up front.

JSL

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 03:09:19 PM »
Do you have any reason to believe the signals from BLMA are going to be any cheaper?  I think these are in line with what I paid for the Sunrise signals 6 years ago adjusting for inflation.

Daryl

No, I was not implying that BLMA signals would be any cheaper, only stating that SMD's price point is similar or cheaper to anyone else out there f, and that SMD at this point is the only one with a high quality NE prototype triple target. NJ Internationals look like they were soldered by monkeys and painted by a 3 year old. If Craig does the triple target searchlights they are most likely going to be around the same price, or slightly higher, but I believe that BLMA ones may end up being of slightly higher quality based on test shots of the single and double BLMA searchlights. Only thing is, if BLMA does them they will most likely be of a US&S style mostly used by Midwestern/Western roads as evident by the double target N #1050 which if were of a signal commonly used in the Northeast would have the targets closer together.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 03:17:27 PM by Ian MacMillan »