Author Topic: What CouplersYou Using?  (Read 2037 times)

One of One-Sixty

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
What CouplersYou Using?
« on: September 16, 2010, 07:21:17 AM »
After having to replace everything I had train wise, I am finding that what I thought I knew about couplers is even more limited as I stepped away from the hobby due to what happened.  So now I am replacing my trains and so far most of what I have replaced have been commuter/passenger cars which I have been using Kato's Traction type couplers.  What couplers are you using for your freight rolling stock and engines?

How are the Accumates that Atlas uses for their products?
“My deeds must be my life. When I am gone, they will speak for me.”- Stephen Girard

Modeling a modern Pennsylvania Railroad 1996-Present

Brakie

• Crew
  • Respect: +4
Re: What CouplersYou Using?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 07:34:04 AM »
I use MT,Atlas Accumate couplers and the new McHenry coupler with the knuckle spring..So far I haven't had any problems with Accumates and McHenry couplers on my temporary switching  layouts and when/if these couplers start to fail I'll replace 'em with MTs.
Larry

Summerset Ry.

christoph

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 08:33:23 AM »
I also use MTL, Accumates and McHenry couplers, they work well with each other.
The early Accumates sometimes "exploded", which means they fell apart when in use, but this problem has long been solved by Atlas.
Christoph

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 09:17:20 AM »
Body mounted MTL 1015's and 2004's , both in 1015 boxes .

Richie Dost

JSL

• Crew
  • In the Heart Of BNSF Country
  • Respect: +4
    • In the Heart Of BNSF Country
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 12:59:16 PM »
They are all okay. MTL are still the most realiable in my book.

mirage

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 02:48:26 PM »
Me too uses Atlas, MTL and a few McHenrys and didn't have any problems so far;-)

Perhaps BLMA will bring out couplers matching to their 70t and 100t trucks some day?
"reality distortion field"

TiVoPrince

• Crew
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 04:17:43 PM »
Whatever
comes on the cars.  Until a proper coupler comes along I'm not inclined to make wholesale changes until a closer to scale product comes along...
Support fine modeling

Mr. G

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 05:34:59 PM »
Whatever
comes on the cars.  Until a proper coupler comes along I'm not inclined to make wholesale changes until a closer to scale product comes along...

I'm doing the same.  I'm just messing with a temporary switching layout now too.  Probably not enough heavy use to really put my couplers to the test, so I don't really feel like doing a total change-out for one brand or another.  Should BLMA come out with a good-looking, reliable coupler that doesn't slinky, then I'll give in.  Until then, though, no one coupler is good enough to warrant the change.
Quote from: TiVoPrince
Everything blends.  Just a general rule of model railroading...

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 06:51:38 PM »
I'm getting really addicted to the Full Throttle Z scale couplers...   :-\

I'd love to see them - or their moral equivalent - available separately.  As I continue to work with them, I keep thinking that the basic box and coupler could be universal (one set of tooling), and that a line of etched wrappers/holders could be offered separately to provide various mounting options.

-gfh

P.S. Maybe a small variety of coupler options: short shank, long shank, shelf style... but all fitting in a universal box, like the Full Throttle box.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 07:41:16 PM »
I'm getting really addicted to the Full Throttle Z scale couplers...   :-\

I'd love to see them - or their moral equivalent - available separately.  As I continue to work with them, I keep thinking that the basic box and coupler could be universal (one set of tooling), and that a line of etched wrappers/holders could be offered separately to provide various mounting options.

-gfh

P.S. Maybe a small variety of coupler options: short shank, long shank, shelf style... but all fitting in a universal box, like the Full Throttle box.

Hang in there...

esa123

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 09:19:47 PM »
I'm like everyone else on here - accumates, McHenry's, and MT's all play well together for the most part. I did try converting a couple of dozen freight cars using MT Z-scale couplers and found that they looked really good (shortened the coupling distance well). One problem was that since I have a switching layout the close coupling distance did become somewhat of a problem as it was very easy to "bump" cars back/forth too much during operations while uncoupling. Also, Z scale couplers look great on N scale engines but be careful of your turning radius as the slow plows tend to rub the engine in front of them if you don't have wider curves. Unless you're really in need of converting things I would wait like everyone else for a more universal housing and scale sized coupler to come out!

Erik

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 01:12:27 AM »
I really like the looks of the Full Throttle couplers from Gary's thread. I too wish they were available without the trucks so I could go wild and get my cars all body mounted.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1529
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 07:55:35 AM »
I really like the looks of the Full Throttle couplers from Gary's thread. I too wish they were available without the trucks so I could go wild and get my cars all body mounted.

Me too - maybe Craig will get Full Throttle to let him sell thm in bulk packs, along with the bulk packs of trucks we keep hollerin' for!
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

One of One-Sixty

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 10:07:58 AM »
Alright thanks, I will hold off on doing any converting and just focusing on converting my passenger cars over.
“My deeds must be my life. When I am gone, they will speak for me.”- Stephen Girard

Modeling a modern Pennsylvania Railroad 1996-Present