Author Topic: Kato Passenger Sets  (Read 1429 times)

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Proactive advocate of truthiness
  • Respect: +147
    • Modutrak
Kato Passenger Sets
« on: September 09, 2010, 10:55:33 AM »
I was thinking I needed a few more hi-level El Cap cars for secondary ATSF trains... so I started wondering if Kato has released a second set with new car numbers yet...  which brings up the overall question:

Is anyone tracking the Kato releases for how many issues of these sets have been released, and what car names/numbers are in each set? 

Kato doesn't seem to track it on their site, and I don't think the part numbers are changing...  I'm pretty sure there's been at least 2, maybe 3 releases of California Zephyr sets.  At least two Super Chiefs.  What about the Broadway Limited?  What about the Daylight? 

Someone must be collecting them all.  :D
Mike

www.modutrak.com
Better modeling through peer pressure...

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +1112
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: Kato Passenger Sets
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 12:00:01 PM »
They documented the car names/numbers on the CZ releases at one point.  Don't remember if that was done with the SC.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

altohorn25

• Crew
  • Respect: +513
    • Mini Mod u Trak
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 03:12:45 PM »
I'm pretty sure they are on their 3rd release for the CZ.  All the other named trains have only had one release so far.

Nate
Nate Pierce
Modutrak - Wisconsin Division
www.modutrak.com

POVC

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 08:14:42 PM »
There have definately been 3 releases of the California Zphyr, because I remember a comment on one of the forums that Kato could still do one more since there were 4 trainsets worth of equipment.

I'm pretty sure there were also two releases of the Super Chief.

As far as I know there have one been one release for each the Daylight, the Broadway Limited and the El Capitan.  I know the Broadway Limited didn't sell well (at least in relation to the others) and there was speculation that there won't be another release of it.

FYI - for the Broadway Limited (the only one I have);
  • BM70M Baggage - #6579
  • 12-4 - CollegeCreek
  • 5 Double Bar Lounge - Harbor Cove
  • Diner/Kitchen Dorm - 4608/4609
  • 10-6 Sleeper - Octorara Rapids, Raccon Rapids, Turtle Rapids, Schuykill Rapids
  • Observation - Mountain View

Add-ons
  • 21 Room - Ravenna Inn, Massilon Inn
  • 4-4-2 Sleeper - Imperial Trees, Imperial Bower
  • ATSF 4-4-2 Sleeper - Regal Spa

Tim

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +544
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 08:21:05 PM »
There have definately been 3 releases of the California Zphyr, because I remember a comment on one of the forums that Kato could still do one more since there were 4 trainsets worth of equipment.

Wig-Wag shows 4 releases (with the car names for those looking).  There were 6 trains total.

Jason

POVC

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 08:51:07 PM »

Wig-Wag shows 4 releases (with the car names for those looking).  There were 6 trains total.

Jason

Shows I shouldn't trust my memory... ::)

FYI - Wig-Wag also shows two releases of the Super Chief; original was 3-4 car sets (A,B,C) and second release was an 8-car set and a 4-car (Set C).  There was also a seperate dome car.

MB Klein is also showing a second relase of the 10-car base set for the Morning Daylight.

Still only one release of the Boardway Limited though.   ;D

NorsemanJack

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 02:55:33 PM »
There have been four releases of the CZ, however the first two shared the same Kato stock number despite having different car names.  The Super Chief has only had one set of car names/numbers for the set "c", however the 8 car set has different car names/numbers than the previous 8 cars in the four car sets "a" and "b."  Despite multiple "releases" (i.e. production runs), the sets "a" and "b" only had one set of names/numbers.  If I'm wrong, somebody stop me....

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +64
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 02:43:14 AM »
     There wre five train sets used for the Cal Zeph transcon service. Burlington and Western Pacicific each owned two, Denver & Rio Grande one set. Kato I believe has run the Pooper (Super) Chief twiice,some cars were also offered in short consists with teo unit? locomotives. El CAP set has not been re run, but a transition coach and Budd baggage car have been done in Phase I Amquack (trak) to represent the rebuilt former EL CAP coaches used as transition dorm car on Superliner trains.                   Nate Goodman (Nato). Salt Lake, Utah.

bigford

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 05:29:56 AM »
it sucks that you cant just buy the cars you need!
 i want a few more coaches for my nyc and up sets

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +544
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 09:18:35 AM »
     There wre five train sets used for the Cal Zeph transcon service. Burlington and Western Pacicific each owned two, Denver & Rio Grande one set.

There were six trains for the CZ, and AFAIK, each road owned cars in relation to it's trackage.  In most cases this would be 3 cars for the Q, 2 for the WP and 1 for the Rio Grande but it wasn't always the case.  You can look at the ownership of the cars and see that the Rio Grande owned more than just 'one set' of cars.

Jason