Author Topic: Any idea how to make this?  (Read 3174 times)

Zox

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
    • Lord Zox's Home Page
Re: Any idea how to make this?
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2010, 07:32:05 PM »
My suggestion for the stone work would be to check Plastruct's products: http://www.plastruct.com/picat/PLAIN_PATTRND_SHTS_9.pdf

Pages 59-60, in particular, have "Dressed Stone," "Brick," and "Rough Brick" patterns that look promising. It's hard to know what "scale" to order stones in, though--I'd get samples in HO to experiment with, and then move bigger or smaller as necessary.

I did a retaining wall for my bridge module as a layer-by-layer project. Each course of stones is actually one piece of styrene strip, with the joints filed between the blocks, and then the courses stacked together:

But given the amount of time it took me to do this little bit, I can't recommend it as a method for doing a project as massive as that station. You'll probably have to do some hand-work for the big arches on the facade, though.
Rob M., a.k.a. Zox
z o x @ v e r i z o n . n e t
http://lordzox.com/
It is said a Shaolin chef can wok through walls...

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2010, 07:41:38 PM »
The building has a number of repeating elements. Might be worth considering making each element from styrene, then making a mold and resin-casting the multiples you'd need.

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2078
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2010, 08:16:56 PM »
I kind of like the wall sections formed flat , then cast in a pliable material , then curved and recast . Just make the vertical mortar lines thinner than the horizontal on the original because they should open up a bit after bending .... maybe .

Richie Dost

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +350
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2010, 10:03:46 PM »
I kind of like the wall sections formed flat , then cast in a pliable material , then curved and recast . Just make the vertical mortar lines thinner than the horizontal on the original because they should open up a bit after bending .... maybe .

You could do the flat thing and, depending on what material you cast it in, heat form it to bend. The front of the station's big enough that it's a fairly gentle arc. Still, you'll be causing stress on the outer surface and increasing the risk of it cracking or fracturing.

I have an old MR or RMC article scanned on bending building kit parts. I'll dig it up if anyone's interested.

Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2078
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2010, 09:25:25 PM »
Hey Dan , look at this I just saw in the new NMRA mag . Flexible stone walls .

http://www.choochenterprises.com/

Richie Dost

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1245
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2010, 10:17:39 PM »
This weekend I took several photos of the exterior of the station. Anyone who is interested in helping me eliminate the distortion on the photos, please email me at daniel_leavitt2004@yahoo.com.

On the cut stone walls. The Chooch walls are pretty thick and the texture is a little exaggerated. I think I will either use scribed styrene or laser cut wood (if I can get that done cheaply). I would then paint the surface with Rustolium textured paints, then paint the texture to match the color of the building. I am hoping this will give enough of a rough surface that it will look like stone without over or under doing the effect.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

TrainCat2

• Crew
  • I'm here to take a beating from RailWire members.
  • Respect: +799
    • TrainCat Model Sales
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2010, 09:11:50 PM »
You could always use the method I used for my Bridge Abutments.

I did a thread over on A-Board about it a long time ago.
http://forum.atlasrr.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=33797

Regards
boB Knight

I Spell boB Backwards