Author Topic: Adding DCC to the Atlas/Tomix Track Cleaning Car  (Read 1487 times)

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +65
Adding DCC to the Atlas/Tomix Track Cleaning Car
« on: September 27, 2010, 10:01:32 PM »
Anyone add DCC to the Atlas/Tomix track cleaning car? I could "hot-wire" negating the switch (always DCC) but I'd like to keep it with the following CL-ON > DCC, ON (direct power) etc.

Any ideas or examples are appreciated.

The S.

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
Re: Adding DCC to the Atlas/Tomix Track Cleaning Car
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 11:15:56 PM »
I had modified mine, and some others for friends by just treating it like a locomotive in that the motor leads were hooked to the motor so you could control the motor speed. I used Digitraz Z decoders.

For an always on DC and DCC I would use the light leads to the motor on a decoder that could support analog mode.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 09:24:07 AM »
I had modified mine, and some others for friends by just treating it like a locomotive in that the motor leads were hooked to the motor so you could control the motor speed. I used Digitraz Z decoders.

For an always on DC and DCC I would use the light leads to the motor on a decoder that could support analog mode.

Yeah but then you're negating the switch on the top of the car right? I want to keep it which means connecting only to the CL-ON contacts on the board. Just having a hard time tracing the board to insert the decoder.

The S.

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 04:44:34 PM »
Yeah, everything was taken out.

What do you want the switch for again? I dont remember what the board looks like, but it should be easy enough to jump it so that CL-ON is giving you on/off to the motor (if thats what you are looking for) via the lighting outputs.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 07:48:54 PM »
Yeah, everything was taken out.

What do you want the switch for again? I dont remember what the board looks like, but it should be easy enough to jump it so that CL-ON is giving you on/off to the motor (if thats what you are looking for) via the lighting outputs.

There are two on positions, and an off. I want to keep the switch and wire just CL-ON to a decoder to control the motor. I basically still want to have a functioning switch ultimate goal is this DCC (CL-ON), ON and OFF options. I might take this to my Dads layout a 20*20 which is still kicking it way old school as one huge block running pure DC.

The S.

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 09:18:37 PM »
Ok in order for this to work...physically...I'll have to use the OFF where the switch has no connect between the contacts and power. I cannot use the existing on connections without cutting breaks in the circuit. That should've been a no brainer for me. So now I've figured out how to wire in the decoder into the existing circuit, but now I need to consider power being passed to the grey and orange motor wires and how it would affect the decoder or even potentially burn it out.... My thought is that it's no different than a motor lead touching the frame and then in turn get a short.

Dapol makes a 6 pin conversion board to make this DCC ready but there is no switch. Looks like a standard hardwire.... Blech.

The S.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 09:40:50 PM by sizemore »